Cell Phone Jammer.....

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:53 pm

So much stupid opinions and "facts" here, that I'm not even going to adress them. I probably couldn't do it without flames.
Das_Saunamies wrote:Wish ours was like that, then these sorts of things wouldn't be necessary in any way, shape or form. Too bad we've been blessed with rude, ignorant and downright arrogant people. Used to be a different nation altogether, but we've just lost the feeling that we belong together as a society, and should take others into consideration. Finland and our middle-class individualism taken to the extreme - sucks.
I can't believe I live in the same country as you do. Cellphones are the least of problems in the cinema. There are much more annoying stuff. Like people talking to each other, noise from candy bags, people munching pop corn or chips or drinking the last drops of their coke through the straw. Cellphones have never bothered me in movies. I think most people turn them off by default when they enter.

I use 3G all the time. I use for email, news, blogs but mostly for instant messanging. It's a silent and non disruptive way of communication. I'd be seriosly pissed, if someone blocked my IM conversations and availability in a train, because irritating blabbering teenager sits close to me and some idiot wants to protect his ears with this jammer.

The whole restaurant argument is completely idiotic. People have conversations in restaurants anyway. Mobile phones aren't really adding much to the "problem". If you want to sit at a restaurant in total silence, buy ear plugs. Same for those who find phone conversations in public places annoyung. Buy ear plugs. They are cheaper then the jammer and should make everyone happy.

I can see a lot of good criminal appliances for this disrupter. Could be handy during a jewelry robbery. It could give the robber some extra seconds or minutes to escape. Pretty handy when most jewelry robberies here are quick in and out jobs. Every second and minute counts. Most landline phones are cordless nowadays. It could prevent the owner from giving the direction of the robbers. It could also be handy for a rapist, it would reduce the risk of getting caught at least a bit. It would even enable you to attack people who are talking to a phone or pretending to talk, like some scared women do. If I was a professional criminal, I'd surely get my hands on these.

This week we had a school shooting here in Finland. The mass murderer managed to kill 8 people before he shot himself. Because of cell phones and the internet community, people had identified the shooter and 3 of the dead bodies 5 minutes before the police arrived at the scene. Couple of well placed jammers and the body count could have been bigger.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Proven facts: birds in Holland have become sterile whilst nesting close to the 3G antennas, due to the radiation.

Talking in a mobile phone for 2 minutes disturbs the brain wave frequencies for two weeks.
I should very much like to see the peer-reviewed studies that reported these phenomena, if indeed there are any.
30% of cancer amongst young children is caused by electromagnetic radiation, according to Dr. David Carpenter
First of all, it's completely unscientific of him to make that claim, there is absolutely no way to be 100% sure of what caused a cancer in an individual patient, he should say as many as 30% of childhood cancer may be caused by EM fields. secondly, Dr Carpenter appears to have a long and illustrious career as a scaremonger:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/1 ... mon25.html
David Carpenter, the study leader who gave many interviews, has crusaded against PCBs for years. From the Hudson River-General Electric controversy to the Anniston, Ala.-Monsanto controversy, Carpenter has consistently tried to foment panic about PCBs. He's a well-known health scare hyperventilator who likes to masquerade as an impartial "expert" from the University of Albany's Institute for Health and the Environment.
=============================================
As early as in November 1989, the department of Energy reported that there are biological effects due to electromagnetic radiation.
I could have told you that even before 1989. sunlight (EM radiation in the visible spectrum) makes me nice and tanned which is a biological effect. The EM spectrum is very broad, you have to be more specific, what frequencies are implicated.
A laboratory study has show that radio waves from mobile phones do harm body cells and damage DNA
which laboratory study?
Now; if you and everyone else wish to live in the bubble (no information given, and with no desire to obtain it) thats fine, to each his own.
I desire information, but not from dubious sources making wild exaggerations on the flimsiest of evidence, and portraying cellphone emissions as a cross between the Black Plague and anthrax. Yes, over long periods and for vulnerable users (ie children), cellphone radiation can be harmful, but there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that for average users who take sensible precautions using a mobile phone is any more risky than eating a bacon sandwich.

Trekmeister

Post by Trekmeister » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:52 pm

walle wrote: Proven facts: birds in Holland have become sterile whilst nesting close to the 3G antennas, due to the radiation.
I did not manage to find any paper about his, on the other hand I did find a published paper about storks in Spain which indicated lower fertility among those nesting close to a base station. (link) Good argument still.
walle wrote: Talking in a mobile phone for 2 minutes disturbs the brain wave frequencies for two weeks.
I did not manage to find any papers about this statement... Feel free to point me to where I can read about this from a reputable source.
walle wrote: 30% of cancer amongst young children is caused by electromagnetic radiation, according to Dr. David Carpenter
As far as I can tell dr. Carpenter has never done any real studies on this subject of his own. He is most likely very skilled but you can probably find just as many people who claim that it is safe.
walle wrote: As early as in November 1989, the department of Energy reported that there are biological effects due to electromagnetic radiation.
Well of course there are, a microwave ovens emits electromagnetic radiation for example! Question is if the very low strength fields from for example a cell phone will really matter.
walle wrote:To use our own country as an example: a study from Karolinska institute showed that as much as 3 per cent of the population suffers from extreme adverse reactions to electromagnetic fields.
I was unable to find this study, but it does sound a bit familiar, probably from a newspaper or something. Not sure if it has anything to to with the matter at hand, since people claiming to be hypersensitive to electricity usually react to even an incadesent light bulb which really does not emit any high energy emf.
walle wrote: And another one, nothing to worry about at all, I’m sure…

A laboratory study has show that radio waves from mobile phones do harm body cells and damage DNA
Ok if you are going to state things like these as "proven facts" you need to reference a reputable source. That really goes for all your points.
Honestly, you link a place selling "radiation shields" for cell phones? Yeah great independent source...
I did on the other hand manage to find the article they vaguely referenced on that page and it is a somewhat interesting paper, if a bit lacking (link). I am a bit torn about this paper and don't quite know what to make of it... I notice that it is not referenced in any other papers, usually an indication that others can't reproduce the experiment or that they find other errors in it.

walle wrote:
Trekmeister wrote: While I can understand that some people are worried about the increasing amount of electromagnetic radiation around us, things has to be put into perspective.
But of course, forgive my (and others) lack of perspective and "ignorance" Everything is relative, right? so nothing to worry about eh.

Now; if you and everyone else wish to live in the bubble (no information given, and with no desire to obtain it) thats fine, to each his own.
Oh come on, I never said anything about ignorance, nor did I say that it is completly safe. I only made some comparisons between different radiation sources. I don't walk around on the phone all day, and if I know I'm in for a long call I put my handsfree on.

And now I'm gonna do something which goes against my whole preaching about good sources and link to wikipedia. While wikipedia never should be used as a reference, it can sometimes be used to find valid sources. Look at the papers referenced as 12-16 to find published papers pretty much saying we can't find any real indications, but we should continue studying it. That is some of what the other side says, I wonder who really "lives in a bubble" and has no interest in obtaining information.

Trekmeister

Post by Trekmeister » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:01 pm

jaganath wrote:David Carpenter, the study leader who gave many interviews, has crusaded against PCBs for years. From the Hudson River-General Electric controversy to the Anniston, Ala.-Monsanto controversy, Carpenter has consistently tried to foment panic about PCBs. He's a well-known health scare hyperventilator who likes to masquerade as an impartial "expert" from the University of Albany's Institute for Health and the Environment.
Didn't catch that one when I did my searches. Guess I was too focused on searching for stuff he had published. Well looks like we are on the same wavelength anyway. :wink:

walle

Post by walle » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:53 pm

Trekkmeister I'm to tired right now to link to english sites with various studies and findings. That said; I can give you a link to a swedish site were you can do some reading, I recieved this link 2 weeks ago from a friend. This site escaped me since this is an English speaking forum, not a Swedish one. Nevertheless; have a look http://www.folkviljanmot3g.se/forsk.htm

Edit:
jaganath wrote:The EM spectrum is very broad, you have to be more specific, what frequencies are implicated.
I don’t see the confusion; I’ve been referring to mobile phone radiation and 3G mast radiation, specific enough IMHO.

jaganath wrote:But there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that for average users who take sensible precautions using a mobile phone is any more risky than eating a bacon sandwich
With all due respect, you enforce the bubble. Having said that; what kind of precautions can you take, do take? in terms of the 3G masts? I would love to know (and many with me), so please share.

jaganath wrote:Dr Carpenter appears to have a long and illustrious career as a scaremonger
I see; so you base your opinion and conclusions after having read one article? Which by the way was not written by Carpenter himself, but by someone who wanted to share his view on Carpenter as a person.

Now, another teaser: http://www.internationalparentingassoci ... hones.html

cheers.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:29 pm

Jaganath: I thank you for bringing reason back to this thread. I couldn't have made those points as eloquently.
walle wrote:Trekkmeister I'm to tired right now to link to english sites with various studies and findings. That said; I can give you a link to a swedish site were you can do some reading, I recieved this link 2 weeks ago from a friend. This site escaped me since this is an English speaking forum, not a Swedish one. Nevertheless; have a look http://www.folkviljanmot3g.se/forsk.htm
You need more then a grain of salt with that website and it's "unbiased facts". I'm not exactly expert in swedish, but I think the name translates something like "people's will against 3G". The name doens't exactly strike confidence. http://www.folkviljanmot3g.se/bilder.htm Seeing the site is showing these "No to 3G" -pictures doens't improve that image either. How would this be relevant for a site distributing unbiased facts?

I haven't done any research on the subject, but I find it extremely hard to believe, that this radiation has any significant health effects. Cell phones have been a common accessory here in Finland for more then 10 years now and there hasn't been any signes on increased cases of brain cancer. Isnt' exposure of 10 years not enough? How is this radiation more dangerous then the radiation used for radio and tv signals?

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:35 pm

Erssa wrote:
Das_Saunamies wrote:Wish ours was like that, then these sorts of things wouldn't be necessary in any way, shape or form. Too bad we've been blessed with rude, ignorant and downright arrogant people. Used to be a different nation altogether, but we've just lost the feeling that we belong together as a society, and should take others into consideration. Finland and our middle-class individualism taken to the extreme - sucks.
I can't believe I live in the same country as you do. Cellphones are the least of problems in the cinema. There are much more annoying stuff. Like people talking to each other, noise from candy bags, people munching pop corn or chips or drinking the last drops of their coke through the straw. Cellphones have never bothered me in movies. I think most people turn them off by default when they enter.
Last time I went was some time in 2006, was a theater in Lappeenranta - two separate groups of people in front rows were txting and calling constantly. Can't even remember what the movie was any more, just the annoying glare and the tapping sound of the keypads. Mostly young people of course. Wish I'd been in a group, don't feel like interfering by myself, and not like the 'bouncer' was anywhere to be seen.

Movie theaters were civilised for a long time, but for some reason the cellphone problem has kept piling up and no one's taken a stand against it. I agree it's hardly the only problem, but I see it as one more symptom of the same issues: inconsideration and arrogance, especially among teenagers. Then there's just the same rude people who wouldn't know how to act politely anyway.

maria_

Post by maria_ » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:12 am

I bought for mine $166 and i absolutely love it! Used it twice on movies for brief moments. I love to see they go silent all of a sudden. No animals harmed!

adam_mccullough

Post by adam_mccullough » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:58 am

Here in the UK nobody uses mobile phones in the cinema nowadays, in my experience anyway. I kind of assumed that it'd be the same in the USA, because of the reason: if you have your phone out, the cinema dudes assume you're taking video/photos of the screen and yank you out of the showing for a little talk about copyright infringement. I've been told they can also confiscate your phone, although I haven't heard of it happening. I can remember before the whole MPAA copyright madness people used to text in the theatre, which was fine by me so long as they turned the key "beeps" off, but even then I can't remember anyone ever having a conversation during a film.

Some of my friends work in a large cinema which apparently has night-vision cameras installed so the security guy can watch the audience and send the ushers in if anyone pulls out a phone or video camera. I'd be surprised if most cinemas had this kind of setup, but I'm sure there are quite a few in the big chains.

Rececntly I've been going to films less and less though, because people seem to have decided it's OK to talk during the film and get abusive if they're asked to be quiet. And not kids - generally groups of guys or girls in their 20s or 30s as far as I can see.

I've always been confused as to why some people think you have to shout into the phone. My mother does it, no matter how many times I tell her not to... I always end up with a headache after she calls me even for a minute or two.

I've obviously misunderstood something about pagers. I've never used one, but I always thought that they were like a crippled mobile, working on the same networks as normal phones, so you'd be jamming them as well... which would be bad because I know a few doctors who are totally reliant on their pagers when on call. Might go do some reading about them.

Oh, and apparently these jammers are installed as standard on many vehicles carrying western personnel in iraq, to stop phone-triggered bombs being used to nail a military unit or civilian contractors as they drive past. I'd say they definitely have their uses, and I would support their use where licensed, for instance to blank reception in a building where a controversial VIP was visiting, or in university exam halls.

Some situations can be approached without jamming, though: In the UK many "pub quiz" venues take a more socially-driven approach. They run a large amp and speaker, turned up to high volume, in the venue so it's obvious by the blipping noise when anyone is using a phone. The culprit is quickly identified and booed out of the building!