Another Vista Disappointment.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Another Vista Disappointment.

Post by aristide1 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:35 pm

Well I went to run the defragger program and there are no longer any bar progression charts or anything like that. From the moment it starts you have no idea how far it's run, how badly you need a defrag, or how complete the results are.

MS calls this elimination of information "progress".

I disagree.

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:51 pm

Mee too.
However, by default, Vista runs a defrag once a week. I never noticed then it was running, perhaps that's the progress.

It is in line with Windows philosophy:
You shall know nothing, you shall not have preferences of your own, just let Uncle Microsoft take care of everything.
This UAC for example. I can turn it of, but I haven't found a way to prevent Windows from telling me how stupid I have been, doing that.

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:57 pm

LongJan wrote:Mee too.
This UAC for example. I can turn it of, but I haven't found a way to prevent Windows from telling me how stupid I have been, doing that.
Here is a nice and simple how-to then :-)

http://www.petri.co.il/hide_security_ce ... _vista.htm

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:03 pm

For some reason my Updater stopped working. Even when I click on Start -> all programs -> Windows updater, nothing happens.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

beoba

Post by beoba » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:20 pm

I guess they imported another feature from the mac crowd?

LongJan

Post by LongJan » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:02 pm

Thanks Redzo!
How could I miss that. I was looking and searching :oops:

Pauli

Post by Pauli » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:31 pm

LongJan wrote:Mee too.
However, by default, Vista runs a defrag once a week. I never noticed then it was running, perhaps that's the progress.

It is in line with Windows philosophy:
You shall know nothing, you shall not have preferences of your own, just let Uncle Microsoft take care of everything.
I thought that was the Mac philosophy.

croddie

Post by croddie » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:09 pm

I like much more control of my computer than the average user but the location of pieces of files on my hard drive is very low level information. Knowing it is not worth human time. Partition your drive let the OS care about exactly how to store the files.

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:26 pm

google JkDefrag and JkDefragGUI. default ms defrag programs have been useless since winxp anyways.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:14 pm

croddie wrote:I like much more control of my computer than the average user but the location of pieces of files on my hard drive is very low level information. Knowing it is not worth human time. Partition your drive let the OS care about exactly how to store the files.
1. This way I know when I need to do it, instead of opening a window of opportunity of a disaster on a regular basis, only when it needs to be done.
2. I can tell when it's almost done, the new version could run for 18 hours for all I know.
3. It should be my decision to be oblivious, not have obliviousness forced upon me.

beoba

Post by beoba » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:26 pm

If you want control, run Linux.

Though usually the filesystem just defrags itself on the fly so you dont deal with that sort of thing in the first place.