can anyone explain RAID to me easy?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kalle

can anyone explain RAID to me easy?

Post by Kalle » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:37 am

I got a bit confused trying to install raid config yeasterday, ehh... I'm no magician when it comes to computing and building, but I'm getting better at it.

Lets say u have a computer that dosent have raid installed, and u want to install raid, to get better I/O for the individual hard drive. U have formatted 2 of the disks. But the system disk is not.

what do i do from here?
Do i reinstall windows?
how do install? raid :P

Whats the best raid config for latenzy?

System; Intel Xeon 5140 2.33GHz 1333 Socket LGA771 x2
MSI 5000X Speedster (motherboard)
Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA (systemdisk)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB SATA2 x 2

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:04 am

IIRC you don't get much better performance with only 2 drives, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have no experience of RAID, but I know that the motherboard manual almost always describes how to configure it.

Maybe you can find some more info or links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

jbw

Post by jbw » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:57 am

Doesn't RAID 0 make the drives a little faster since there are two heads doing the work? (I know it's not technically RAID though since it's not redundant.)

floffe

Post by floffe » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:33 am

Yes, RAID0 makes reads and writes a bit quicker, at the risk of losing all the data from one drive failure.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:53 pm

floffe wrote:Yes, RAID0 makes reads and writes a bit quicker, at the risk of losing all the data from one drive failure.
Clarification: RAID 0 will make SUSTAINED data transfers faster, but will not really improve access times as you are still limited by the platter and head speed of each drive.

But as someone else posted, not worth the risk. Buy a quiet and fast HDD and be happy!!

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:19 pm

RAID: redundant array of independent disks.

RAID 0 will give the best bandwidth, but at the cost of latency. With every read and write, the latency is that of the slowest drive. RAID 0, with all *roll eyes* nerdy humor, is not redundant (level zero, get it?). Here, each drive has 1/n of the data (in a typical 2-drive array, half).

RAID 1 will give good read bandwidth, and should perform about the same as a single drive for writes. Otherwise, the performance will depend on the implementation. Each drive has all the data, so if one dies, it's still there.

RAID 10, or 0+1 (depending on who you talk to, these may be different, but don't worry about that) will give the redundancy benefits of RAID 1, with the speed benefits of RAID 0, by basically having the RAID 0 copied (a RAID 1 of a RAID 0).

RAID 3 and 5 can compete with RAID 0 for read speed, but are slow to write (each write requires several read and write operations). In these, the drives have part of the data, and there is checksum data to recover data of a lost drive with (for RAID 3, a drive is dedicated to that data). In a four-drive RAID 5, you have 3/4 the space (3 drive's worth data + 1 drive's worth recovery data), but it's efficient for the cost. and number of drives.

You'll generally have to reinstall the OS to do any of these. You set up the array in your controller's BIOS, install the controller driver, and then Windows sees a single drive that is th array.

But...to answer your last question, the best setup in terms of latency (for desktop workloads) is to use a single Raptor, and good defrag software. For overall performance with your hardware selection, a Raptor for OS, Apps, and pagefile, with the 'Cudas in a RAID 0. But, I personally wouldn't do it, unless you also added a 1TB drive and an external enclosure to do backups to.

Kalle

Post by Kalle » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:34 pm

Thx to alle :) :P

Cerb: thx especially for your answer.. U basicly just helped me deside. I would have gone for the raid 0, but as u pointed out.. Latenzy is very important.

Does mirror make a second write operation, or does it not affect stuff since its a doffrent drive.
Thinking out loud.. I would think it does nothing more, and gives a chance of restoring with ease compared to earlier.
Could somone confirm or somthing on what im babbling about here?