PRINTERS - Replacement for MFP/AIO?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

hbm55

PRINTERS - Replacement for MFP/AIO?

Post by hbm55 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:53 pm

Pulled my question from 'Off-topic' and redirecting here.

Our HP 5110i (something like that) passed into electronic purgatory the other day. I'm certain it is older than our oldest cpu. Fax was never used, but we do need an AIO (all in one) system.

Printers are a rare topic on SPCR, so I'd hope some renewed vigor and thoughts can be generated. From what I can tell so far, there are as many models as people owning cpu's. If you were lucky to hear one at the store, between renditions of garbage can pounding (super bass) store speakers, or have a recent purchase that surprised you and is actually decent in the noise department, your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce,
who's wife is suffering withdrawl . ...
Which reminds me, low cost prints?

plympton

Post by plympton » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:03 pm

No guarantees about the cost/print, but I just did a ton of research and picked up a Canon MP970 from Circuit City - price match the web at $269, and a $100 rebate (not tied to a camera purchase, apparently), makes it a good deal. I tested prints in the store (had to move it and plug it in myself :-)), and it sounded quiet.. over the Mega Bass, etc...

I might not keep it, since I got it mainly out of frustration with a driver issue on my Photo printer (which will be fixed).

The line of HP Photosmarts are pretty quiet, too. I spent 10 years at HP designing them, and we (they) always seemed quieter than Canon's and Epson's (don't even touch a Lexmark or a Kodak, or a Dell, etc..)

Oh yeah, these are Inkjets - they'll probably be more clicky-clacky than any laser. Lasers are like jets, but they takeoff and land pretty quick, so I don't mind the sound. Once an inkjet is finished clicking, it's generally pretty quiet (printing photos, etc..)

HP claims to be best cost/page (especially if you let it sit for days or weeks at a time - apparently the Canon's and Epson's suck up a LOT of ink purging air from their systems if they haven't been used for a while - info from HP's website, but I believe them on this one).

-Dan

hbm55

Post by hbm55 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:54 pm

My apologies, Plympton. I read your post, replied - I thought - and just ran across a message notice....

I went with the HP C7280, only because it had to sit in a cabinet and backside paper feed was not an option. Epson and Canon, both in comparable range, require back-side paper feed. The lure of wireless network helped in the decision.

The wireless feature was worthless, and hopes of cutting the umbilical chord (cable) to a host computer were dashed.

As you mention, clicky-clacky noises must be indigenous to inkjets. They seem to extend more noise with newer versions. I refrained from lazers, as they still are costlier per page, and though can't verify the source now, consume more energy due to drum heating. My Canon i960 seems to consume ink simply by sitting and doing nothing. I'm constantly replacing cartriges. It still produces better photo prints than the HP.

Thanks for the contribution, Plympton.

Bruce