how to share a mapped network drive?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wim

how to share a mapped network drive?

Post by wim » Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:23 pm

hello, i am using dual network adapters on my motherboard - one connects to a switch (LAN) and one connects to a NAS. now i have the NAS mapped as a network drive, L:, but when i right click folders on the drive and go to share them on the LAN, the sharing tab is just not there like is for truly local folders.

so how can i make folders on the NAS available on the network "through" my computer? there are reasons why i don't want to simply plug the NAS into the switch.

this is in win2k by the way.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:14 am

As far as I know you need a routing tool to enable your pc as a router / switch to pass trough the network information. Windows 2000 server and advanced server do have that software tools in them themselves, the w2k professional hasn't. By using this software you can then make the NAS visible for the rest of the network by configuring the routing software.
But I would just put the NAS in the switch of the rest of the network, that is far more easier, better maintainable, more reliable and as far as I know, now downsides.

Nick Geraedts
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Nick Geraedts » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:07 am

A NAS (Network Attached Storage) isn't really doing it's job unless it's attached to the network - not a computer. ;)

Why don't you connect the NAS to your router or switch, and allow users to connect that way? Are you worried about permissions and the like?

Windows mounted network shares assume that the drive itself is available on the network - as such, there wouldn't be much point in sharing them to the network again. Your case is a little strange though, since you might as well be using an external USB drive for all intents and purposes.

wim

Post by wim » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:42 pm

hm, d'oh, seems there is no quick fix then. i basically wanted the NAS to act like a local drive , maybe its not possible?

ok the strange situation arose like this , i used to keep my files on couple of 500GB SATA drive on the local machine. but after doing all the tricks on this site my computer is now much quieter than the (suspended) hard drives, so i bought a 1TB NAS and moved everything except the operating system onto that, it's now located up in the ceiling somewhere. there are some advantage to this such as, it is way out of earshot and no possibility of it being stolen - i rely so much on storage now that i get paranoid about that kind of thing, all my lifetime collection of music and photos on there with no backups etc :shock:
so correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think you can get a external drive that far away with USB cable, it's on a different level of the house

reasons not to plug the NAS into the switch :
1. the link between my local machine and NAS is gigabit speed
2. yes i'm worried about permissions..want to be sure only my music and util folders are available on the network but not all my private data
3. the LAN has a permament internet connection, which worries me, i kind of like the added layer of security knowing that when i switch my machine off, drive would be physically disconnected from the rest of the world ;)

what do you think? are these just silly concerns or there is any sense to it?

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:11 am

Well you could buy a gigabit switch to connect your nas with your pc, that would remove one problem.
If you do use a "normal router" and not a pc with routing software or that kind of tricks, then the chance that people will break in from your internet connection and are able to find and hack in to your nas is small, if you ask me.
And if you are worried that people would hack the permissions on you network, what kind of people are connected to your network anyway?

scdr

Post by scdr » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:19 am

How about putting the NAS on the network, but add a remote control switch to turn the NAS off when the computer is off. (e.g. run an extension cord from the power strip that turns off your computer, or extend the cable from the NAS transformer, or use an X-10 or other remote control module).

If that doesn't appeal - you could put the music and util folders on a server on your network (separate them from the private data). Could do this with a second NAS, or just use a second hand machine or laptop as a server. After all - how fast does the net connect need to be just for music.

Added benefit of a second server or drive - you could use encryption to store backup copies of your data on the second server, giving you some form of backup. (Not as good as off-site backup, but better than nothing.)

You can go a respectable distance with USB - especially if you use hubs as repeaters between chunks. Max cable length 16 feet (5 meters), maximum of 5 levels of hub in a run. (Though you can evidently go to even longer runs using CAT5 cable - e.g. 50m. [wikipedia])

Sendorm

Post by Sendorm » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:00 am

if you are using windows xp, just bridge the two network adapters.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/docu ... stall.mspx

edit: you said you've been using win2k, I am not sure about that one. My bad.

wim

Post by wim » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:49 pm

thanks for the advice everyone. i think i will change operating system to xp and try bridging the two adapters, and if i don't like the way that works maybe i'll follow scdr suggestion get a second NAS for shared files. i have just bought a gigabit switch too, the d-link one

wim

Post by wim » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:58 pm

just an update, changing OS to XP and bridging the two network adapters has achieved what i wanted, more or less. thanks

dydn

Post by dydn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:30 pm

I am moving files from one server to another. I would like to give my users a few weeks to make the transition. During that time, I would like users to be able to access the same files via shares on two different servers. That is, I'd like the "\\server1\userfiles" share and the "\\server2\userfiles" share to point to the same drive.

Being able to share a mapped network drive would have been perfect.

Any ideas?

badbrewb

Post by badbrewb » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:09 pm

Try a program called Winbolic Link.

READ THE WARNINGS!!!

I have a share mapped as M:

I opened Winbolic Link and in the right pane clicked on M: and in the left pane I clicked on C drive and then below typed my folder name. I used the NTFS Junction option. (READ WARNINGS!!! and help...) I can then right click on this folder from within Windows Explorer and share this folder! I have tested from Windows Vista Home Premium. I will be trying this on my 2003 EE server tomorrow.

Search google for "winbolic link". The first result is PearlMagik and they are the ones who make this great tool. I cannot post links in my first post. (freeware)