Hackers declare war on Scientology.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:29 am

LAThierry wrote:
Trip wrote:Christianity is what built the West
When you make a claim, you have to be ready to back it up. Please provide facts supporting that statement.
Trip, I've asked you before to prove your argument.
Trip wrote:the West was built out of it.
Now I see you're at it again, but I still don't see any proof backing up your argument.

One way to do it would be to show there is causation not just correlation. You see, just because Christianity was always present in the West does not in and of itself proves the West was built upon it, just like arguing that "bread is what built the West" because bread can be found in the West.
Trip wrote:Remove Christianity, and there's no West.
If you're not going to provide a proof for your statement, maybe you can disprove any of my following statements. Similar to your claim above, I could just as easily say any of the following:

Remove Ancient Greece, and there's no West.
Remove Ancient Rome, and there's no West.
Remove the Renaissance, and there's no West.
Remove the Industrial revolution, and there's no West.

I'm pretty sure more historians will back up any single of my statement versus yours.

F4lc0N-76

Post by F4lc0N-76 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:53 am

Interesting topic! :D

IMHO any religion is bad. They are only intruments to maintain a social hierarcy intact. Even though as they also have made us "civilized", thanks to the rules of any religion. But still, as the religions have been practised the last 2000 or more years, they have made slavery & war legimate from time to time.

Somewhere in the beginning of time, as I see it, "religions" grew out of stone age astronomy. In the need of making the "calendar" available and memorizable for everybody, they invented stories for every "era" (month). And from there on the stories have "mutated" from generation to generation (i.e. whisper a sentence in the ear of an friend, and let him/her tell the same thing to the next person, and so on. After, say ten persons, the original sentence propably has been altered).
The movie, Zeitgeist, opened my eyes. Even though knowing that it is a independent movie, and hasn't been formally revised/proofchecked, it has made me think outside the box since then (not only part one of the movie) - and that really wide :D
Check it out here, http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com , it's possible to see it through the website or legally download it (torrent) or you can see it on You Tube.

OFF TOPIC:
And jaganath, to answer the question you once wrote to me (on fri 13. Jan 2006): finnish, spanish and very little german, mostly by reading manuals at work. Sorry for missing your post :oops:
(viewtopic.php?t=28374&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=)

BACK ON TOPIC:
So therefore I had great fun reading about the attack on Scientology-website. And I see it as they had it coming for years of fraud. But oddly I would have been mad if that attack had hit christian or islamic sites, as many of my friends are from both religions :? . The exeption to the last sentence would be if they instead attacked the site of a cult/extremist group of either islamic or christian religion, i.e. Jehovas Witnesses (Very unsure of the spelling, tried to translate it from swedish, directly).

My last cents for today (exhausted, gotta sleep :D ).

Mike & co., thanks for a great site!!!

and of course thanks to all of you for a interesting thread...

Cheers!

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:13 pm

LAThierry,

I haven't finished reading this thread and hadn't even seen your posts yet... I'll reply as soon as I've caught up, though heh this looks like a big discussion I've overlooked.