Senate Votes for Expansion of Spy Powers

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Plissken
Friend of SPCR

Senate Votes for Expansion of Spy Powers

Post by Plissken » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:57 pm

Senate Votes for Expansion of Spy Powers (68-29 vote)
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/us/13fisa.html
Eric Lichtblau

After more than a year of wrangling, the Senate handed the White House a major victory on Tuesday by voting to broaden the government’s spy powers and to give legal protection to phone companies that cooperated in President Bush’s program of eavesdropping without warrants.

One by one, the Senate rejected amendments that would have imposed greater civil liberties checks on the government’s surveillance powers. Finally, the Senate voted 68 to 29 to approve legislation that the White House had been pushing for months. Mr. Bush hailed the vote and urged the House to move quickly in following the Senate’s lead.

(Excerpt)

I find it interesting that both Clinton and Obama abstained. If they didn't like the program, and didn't plan on using it, don't you think they should've voted NO?

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:46 am

Perhaps afraid of losing votes somehow?

In any case: what exactly is 'eavesdropping without warrents'? Can they just phonetap you for eternity without just cause, because they feel like it now and get away with it?
Kinda creepy if you ask me, not having a check on these things.

floffe

Post by floffe » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:34 am

As for Clinton, it's kinda hard to say either Yea or Nay in Texas loud enough to be heard in DC. As for Obama, I'm not sure if he was present or out campaigning, but a quick look at his website suggests a campaign speech in Wisconsin last night.

JazzJackRabbit

Re: Senate Votes for Expansion of Spy Powers

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:42 am

Plissken wrote:I find it interesting that both Clinton and Obama abstained. If they didn't like the program, and didn't plan on using it, don't you think they should've voted NO?
It's fairly typical that presidential candidates abstain from voting on controversial issues. Can't be too cautious you know.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:15 am

Oh well. Pass or no pass, the government would do it in my opinion.

Plissken
Friend of SPCR

Re: Senate Votes for Expansion of Spy Powers

Post by Plissken » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:45 pm

JazzJackRabbit wrote:
Plissken wrote:I find it interesting that both Clinton and Obama abstained. If they didn't like the program, and didn't plan on using it, don't you think they should've voted NO?
It's fairly typical that presidential candidates abstain from voting on controversial issues. Can't be too cautious you know.
Yes, and McCain happily voted "yes" when the other 2 abstained, which makes it even more interesting from a political perspective. But from the perspective of my living room (C-SPAN) I'm convinced that none of them have the slightest idea of how the Internet works. God help us.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:54 am

The difference here.....some politicians say and do things they think will keep from losing votes. Other politicians (very few however) do/say things they think are right.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:00 pm

And some politicians flip the bird to all the people while they're making the corporations that backed them even more rich. Then they veil themselves in the flag and claim you're unAmerican if you complain and choose not to bend over and take it.

Edited for sin-tax. :shock: