HD-DVD is dead - Toshiba throws in the towel

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7466
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

HD-DVD is dead - Toshiba throws in the towel

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:03 am

Yay! The format war is over. Now we can get back to increasing consumer acceptance ---> lower priced hardware.

djkest
Posts: 766
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: Colorado, USA

Post by djkest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:12 am

Damn I was hoping that HDDVD would win... although over the last 4 months or so it became apparent that it was over. Sony basically through marketing and mis-information lead everyone to believe they had a superior product, although the capabilities were much the same. Glad to see it sorted out though.

Matija
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:17 am
Location: Croatia

Post by Matija » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:33 am

Blu-Ray is more capable when it comes to DRM.

I'm more interested in how much the EU will fine Sony. I think they're looking at vast billions of €.

seraphyn
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by seraphyn » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:41 am

I too, was hoping on HD-DVD to win. Simply because i don't much care for DRM and silly Region Coding and of course because Sony has a bad trackrecord concerning these.

Ah well, at least when prices drop i won't have to think about which format now.

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON
Contact:

Post by mr. poopyhead » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:13 am

since microsoft and toshiba had so much at stake in this venture, shouldn't they have done what sony did? flood the market with hardware? what would it have cost them to include an HD-DVD drive in every xbox360? $20?

the only thing i really dislike is having to call movies "blu-rays" from now on... as in "i'm going to buy that movie on blu-ray disc"... DVD sounds nicer.

Matija
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:17 am
Location: Croatia

Post by Matija » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:39 pm

Blu-Ray only won because Sony paid off the big studios, which Toshiba could not (thus I'm 99% certain that the EU will fine Sony badly). Bundling drives wouldn't have made a difference.

merlin
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 717
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:48 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: HD-DVD is dead - Toshiba throws in the towel

Post by merlin » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Thank goddess. I'm so glad hd-dvd is out finally. Blu-ray here we come! And if you don't like calling it blu-ray, just call it BD...official abbreviation.

seraphyn
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:26 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by seraphyn » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:47 pm

I will just call them DVD's still.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 1069
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Munich, Bavaria, Europe

Post by klankymen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:02 pm

ahhh once again gay ass region locked dvds that when I buy in the states hate my european equipment and vice versa. crap like that discourages me from even BUYING dvds.

derekva
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Contact:

Post by derekva » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:30 pm

mr. poopyhead wrote:since microsoft and toshiba had so much at stake in this venture, shouldn't they have done what sony did? flood the market with hardware? what would it have cost them to include an HD-DVD drive in every xbox360? $20?
I don't think Microsoft had so much at stake. Yes, you could buy an HD-DVD add-on for the XBox 360, but that was an add-on. Nothing to stop them from releasing an external BR drive. I don't know what the licensing revenue for HDi was/is for Microsoft, but I believe it can be a stand-alone technology (e.g. not purely tied to HD-DVD).

For Toshiba, on the other hand, this kinda sucks. Although I guess they won't have to be selling HD-DVD players at a loss any more.

-D

floffe
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 4:36 am
Location: Linköping, Sweden

Post by floffe » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:32 pm

klankymen wrote:ahhh once again gay ass region locked dvds that when I buy in the states hate my european equipment and vice versa. crap like that discourages me from even BUYING dvds.
There are plenty of region-free DVD players out there, and when it comes to software something like VLC will play them all too. Not that I disagree with it being an annoyance, but it shouldn't be a major problem as long as you get good equipment.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 1069
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Munich, Bavaria, Europe

Post by klankymen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:37 pm

floffe wrote:
klankymen wrote:ahhh once again gay ass region locked dvds that when I buy in the states hate my european equipment and vice versa. crap like that discourages me from even BUYING dvds.
There are plenty of region-free DVD players out there, and when it comes to software something like VLC will play them all too. Not that I disagree with it being an annoyance, but it shouldn't be a major problem as long as you get good equipment.
99% of dvds I encounter will play on VLC. And then I hit one that doesn't. So I have to use windows or something else to play it. and then this program tells me "you're dvd drive is the wrong format, please change it. you can only change 6 times" So I'm fine while in VLC, but every once and a while I hit one of those dudes. Now I'm down to 4 more changes, should hopefully be enough to tide me over till I have a BD drive :D
Still it's annoying.

CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7466
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Post by CA_Steve » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:36 pm

I'm probably going to be watching high def DVD's on my PC well before I do on my TV...just because of the investment involved for the signal chain...but there is no way that I'm going to invest in Vista just to play DRM'ed DVD's.....is there a player utility that'll work under Ubuntu? I'll dual boot for watching movies :-)

derekva
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:00 am
Location: Puget Sound, WA
Contact:

Post by derekva » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:54 pm

CA_Steve wrote:I'm probably going to be watching high def DVD's on my PC well before I do on my TV...just because of the investment involved for the signal chain...but there is no way that I'm going to invest in Vista just to play DRM'ed DVD's.....is there a player utility that'll work under Ubuntu? I'll dual boot for watching movies :-)
How about investing in OS-X just to play DRM'ed DVDs. After all, Macs do DRM just as well as Vista (e.g. the OS is just as locked down).* For HD formats under Ubuntu, see this documentation.

-D

*I had to say this, I'm so tired of all the Mac users out there who carp on DRM in Vista when OS-X is just as restrictive if not more so.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:21 pm
Location: Undisclosed but sober in US

Post by aristide1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:02 pm

It was strange watching a highdef war while people broadly accept MP3 sound.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 1069
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:31 pm
Location: Munich, Bavaria, Europe

Post by klankymen » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:58 am

people care more about movies than music. for whatever reason. humans are primarily visual creatures. which is why people get hd-tvs, but not surround systems (I mean good ones, not htibs)

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 1740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:24 am
Location: 'Sunny' Cornwall U.K.

Post by peteamer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:18 am

aristide1 wrote:It was strange watching a highdef war while people broadly accept MP3 sound.
Amen...

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 4284
Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:21 pm
Location: Undisclosed but sober in US

Post by aristide1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:52 pm

klankymen wrote:people care more about movies than music. for whatever reason. humans are primarily visual creatures. which is why people get hd-tvs, but not surround systems (I mean good ones, not htibs)
1. They have no idea or conception what they are missing.

2. Music by nature lends iteself to repeatability. There's no movie I want to sit through several hundred times. The score for Gladiator? I quit counting after about 500, and it's still going strong.

No movie has ever put on as great a roller coaster ride as a brilliant score.

Post Reply