Build a Better Waffle....

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Build a Better Waffle....

Post by Bluefront » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:23 am

I thought everyone knew how....apparently not. I like to eat waffles for breakfast. Who doesn't? But the fact is that most waffles you buy frozen, are simply empty calories, that taste ok.

Make your own with the usual waffle mix you buy? Much the same.....flour plus water. Not much there.....and messy to make if you follow the directions.

Here's my solution....a waffle mod. The usual mixture is much too thin, and spills over the edges of the waffle maker. Use maybe 1/4 less liquid, and use skim milk instead of water.

Then.....use a mixture of 1/2 the suggested waffle flour, and 1/2 a finely chopped-up dry cereal of your choice. Pick one that's got healthy ingredients. Add just enough liquid till the mixture is like wet concrete ( :lol: ). I add about 1/4 more cooking time, since the waffle will be slightly heavier. (with my waffle maker I cook 2.5 minutes).

Guaranteed....tastes better, and is better for you.
:D

djkest

Post by djkest » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:15 am

I wonder how this would work with some smashed up raisin bran or maybe try some cheerios. Actually, what I do for mine is, I add lots of dry oatmeal to the mix. I also use the whole-wheat mix to start off with. Then I add a couple dashes of cinnamon, and even a splash of vanilla if I'm feeling fiesty. The only problem w/ using oatmeal, you need the "quick cooking" kind that is chopped up pretty fine, and you need to let it sit for 5 minutes to absorb the moisture. At that point you may need to add more water/ milk / whatever.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:45 am

You know....I also add cereal to instant oatmeal. If you buy various hot cereals, they come chopped finely. I don't need to add more liquid to this setup.

Breakfast for me was always done in a hurry.....so anything that speeds up the process is welcome (as long as it tastes good, and is reasonably good for you).

Ever try grits? I like the stuff....old southern boy in me I guess. But I improve the dish with the finely chopped cereal.....useful stuff. :)

Avalanche

Post by Avalanche » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:56 am

Grits plus scrambled eggs! Gotta get some protein in there! Or grits with cheddar cheese. Or eggs and cheese! So many options! :D Eat with a banana for a complete meal. Time is the biggest problem, though. :?

I agree with djkest in general, though. I add oatmeal to lots of things: cereal, bread, smoothies. Waffle mix is a good idea, too.

Bluefront, what kind of waffle maker do you use? I have one that came free with a GFG (George Foreman Grill) I bought a few years ago. Surprisingly, it's been pretty reliable, although I probably only use it once a month or so.

djkest

Post by djkest » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:13 am

Avalanche wrote:
I agree with djkest in general, though. I add oatmeal to lots of things: cereal, bread, smoothies. Waffle mix is a good idea, too.
Yes indeed. Pancakes, waffles, or just about anything. Can be tricky with muffins or bread because those are a little more "picky" about what you do to them. A nice thing about oatmeal is that it actually can reduce your cholesterol because the insoluable fiber bonds to cholesterol when it passes through your system. It's very beneficial to a healthy heart*

*although some recent studies have found no link between cholesterol and heart disease, contrary to older studies

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:19 am

Nothing special on my waffle maker....a cheap Chefmate, makes two small waffles at a time about the size of the frozen kind. Before I started using a thicker mixture, avoiding the spill-over, cleaning the thing was a big hassle.

By the time I eat the first two, the final two are ready. I like that setup better than one big waffle maker. I've seen the George Forman type with inter-changable grill plates...looks nice.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:58 pm

Nobody waffles more than Carl.

Brians256

Post by Brians256 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:13 am

Waffles and wet concrete... two phrases that shouldn't be together!

I'm a big fan of yeast raised waffles. I make the batter the night before and let them sit on the counter overnight like a sourdough poolish.

1/2C warm water
1t sugar
1 pkg yeast
2C warm milk
2C flour
1 stick melted butter
1t salt
Mix well, and let it sit overnight on the counter loosely covered

In the morning, add
2 eggs
1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t baking powder (optional)

The waffles are full of flavor, crispy and don't really take much time. I like to double the recipe and put the mixture into a pitcher for easy pouring.

For health, I prefer oatmeal with fruit or whole-wheat hot cereals like Zoom.

Conroy

Post by Conroy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:11 am

Waffle mods? I love this site

derekva

Post by derekva » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:23 pm

I'm all about the home-made waffles (using my grandma's recipie) from scratch. I don't have it in front of me so I can't remember all the dry ingredient amounts, but it has flour, baking powder, a pinch of salt, a couple of teaspoons of sugar, 2 eggs (separated - beat the whites into a merangue), 2/3C milk and 3Tbsp of vegetable oil (or, if you like bacon, bacon fat tastes fantastic but is extra fattening). Mix the drys and wets separately, combine and then add the merangue. Light & fluffy - works well for traditional (small-hole) and Belgian waffle makers.

I'll try and remember to look it up in my recipie file at home and post the actual amounts.

-D

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:16 am

A decadent waffle? Easy....take your usually waffle mix, and dilute it 50/50 with fudge brownie mix. Result.....a mildly chocolate-flavored waffle, that requires less syrup to taste good. :)

So where's that home-made from scratch recipe?