Speaker Pop

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Speaker Pop

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:53 am

Hi im having a problem with my Sound system, i get pops (quite loud) coming through my speakers every now and again and sometimes when that happens my secondary monitor turns off and on (but not the primary).

I was wondering if anyone has any idea what the problem could be, and if so how I could fix it.

Thanks very much.

Dave

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:01 am

sounds like your drawing 'almost' too much on you're house circuit or power strip. How many components are plugged into that circuit?
Surround reciever/amp or just pc speakers ?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:11 am

I only have My AMP Pluged into that one socket the Logitech Z-5500 speakers Logitech Z5500 which have the front speakers replaced with a pair of wharfedale speakers (there pretty old i don't know what they are) But when i brought them the specs that were listed the wattage and resistance matched.

But then i also have my PC and 2 monitors plugged in to another socket on the same wall which i guess is in the same loop.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:32 am

I saw the exact same symptoms on a relative's computer. The mains voltage was way low, because of bad wiring.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:47 am

Ok this is a pretty "redneck" trouble shoot....
...But can you try running the amp from a heavy duty extension cord to a known other/unused circuit?
At least you can rule overloaded circuit theory that way.

Maybe your system is on the same circuit as washing machine, refer, h2o heater ect. and when that switches on the amp's overload protection kicks in.

Do you use a UPS? They should be considered mandatory in any music/htpc setup. And yes the more expensive A/V ones work a lot better for media PC's and components.

Does the monitor power off or just flicker? Can you swap monitor outputs from pc ?

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:55 am

xan_user wrote:Ok this is a pretty "redneck" trouble shoot....
...But can you try running the amp from an extension cord to a known other circuit?
At least you can rule overloaded circuit that way.

Maybe your system is on the same circuit as washing machine, refer, h2o heater ect. and when that switches on the amp's overload protection kicks in.

Do you use a UPS? They should be considered mandatory in any music/htpc setup. And yes the more expensive A/V ones work a lot better for media PC's and components.
Ok i shall try running an extension from a room on the other side of the house see if that makes any difference.

Its possible that my system is on the same circuit as a fridge, freezer, washing machine, Tumble drier. My room is part of an extension too the house and the room with all those things are below my room so its possible that the workmen did a shoddy job.
Which is also shown by the fact that my radiator is on the other side of my room to the window (lazy builders). It does happen more often than the tumble drier/washing machine are used i think but i shall make sure to take a note of when it happens.

I don't have a UPS possible after this investigation it might be worth me investing in one if it turns out to be the problem.

Thanks for your help.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:16 am

Fat_bloater_dave wrote:
I don't have a UPS possible after this investigation it might be worth me investing in one if it turns out to be the problem.

Thanks for your help.
No prob, good luck!

Get a UPS regardless. Power in our homes only gets dirtier as we add more electronic gadgets. Oh and light dimmers/ fan rheostats are a BIG source of electrical noise.