TV censorship is getting ridiculous [Yeah, its another rant]

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

climber109

TV censorship is getting ridiculous [Yeah, its another rant]

Post by climber109 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:48 pm

I was watching a Scrubs repeat on Comedy Central recently and I noticed that the audio dropped out for a moment, right as Dr. Cox said "ass." I wasn't sure if I heard correctly so I backed up the video on my DVR and sure enough, the word "ass" had been edited out. Just today, I was watching another repeat of Scrubs on WGN and the words "cajones" and "ballsâ€

qviri

Re: TV censorship is getting ridiculous [Yeah, its another r

Post by qviri » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:34 pm

climber109 wrote:There is no reason for this infringement on freedom of speech.
You had a good rant going, and then you blew it.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:24 pm

I take it, they will not air Eddie Murphy's "Raw" then...?

climber109

Re: TV censorship is getting ridiculous [Yeah, its another r

Post by climber109 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:48 pm

qviri wrote:
climber109 wrote:There is no reason for this infringement on freedom of speech.
You had a good rant going, and then you blew it.
What do you mean?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:17 pm

CC may simply want to be more family oriented, hence they may have higher standards. The main networks, the later it gets the more geared towards adults.

This of course, doesn't explain Friends, but that seems to be the general pattern.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:22 pm

On my local radio station when they play Nickelbacks 'Rockstar' they censor out the word 'drug' in the line "My own drug dealer on speeddial'. The word 'Drug' is apparently not suitable for broadcast. But the new line of "My own [pause] dealer on speeddial' is somehow better. They play this version at any time, even after the usual 9pm watershed.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:25 pm

FartingBob wrote:On my local radio station when they play Nickelbacks 'Rockstar' they censor out the word 'drug' in the line "My own drug dealer on speeddial'. The word 'Drug' is apparently not suitable for broadcast. But the new line of "My own [pause] dealer on speeddial' is somehow better. They play this version at any time, even after the usual 9pm watershed.
That's limiting artistic license, which ironically enough is only being used to buy more drugs anyways.

Just kidding, I hope.

dragmor

Post by dragmor » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:15 pm

I wonder what watching Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares would be like in the states. Do you just get an hour of silence? Our version of the FCC got a couple of complaints about the last episode, apparently it had the F word 87 times, and over 200 other swear words. Thankfully they said it was appropriate for the time slot of 20:30.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:31 pm

dragmor wrote:I wonder what watching Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares would be like in the states. Do you just get an hour of silence? Our version of the FCC got a couple of complaints about the last episode, apparently it had the F word 87 times, and over 200 other swear words. Thankfully they said it was appropriate for the time slot of 20:30.
yea i watch it in usa. They must have a team of people fingering the beep button - kinda funny.

isn't cc the channel that had a south park with around a 100 fucks- they just payed the censor fee instead of bleeping it...

:shock:

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:39 pm

So much for my theory. Maybe it's backlash?

climber109

Post by climber109 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:31 pm

xan_user wrote: isn't cc the channel that had a south park with around a 100 fucks- they just payed the censor fee instead of bleeping it...
:shock:
I remember that episode. It was 162 shits: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Hits_the_Fan. Does CC have to pay fees for that? I thought that was only for over the air networks.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:26 pm

shit! :shock: that explains why I couldn't find fuck about it!:lol:

I remember 'hearing' they payed for each utterance of the "banned" word when it played in the earlier time slot, but maybe it was just a rumor started by the fcc... or more likely matt and trey.

gee, and I thought this was a family site....<Flush> :oops:

seraphyn

Post by seraphyn » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm all for censoring at the early hours, no need for the smallest of children to hear swearing all the time, but after 20:00ish, anything should go, imo.

I don't really see the point in filtering out potty mouth nouns etc when there are only people of proper age watching.

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:08 pm

This is idiotic.

Normal children talk like that (beware of some ads):
http://www.overheardeverywhere.com/archives/001900.html
:)

climber109

Post by climber109 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:18 pm

To be honest, I don't see the harm in swearing. They're only words, though I suppose if everyone used them all of the time, they would lose some of their effect.

But seriously, I am tired of censoring TV. If you are not going to show a movie in its original form, then don't show it at all.

Xuestor

Post by Xuestor » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:33 pm

Thankfully sweden has no censors whatsoever. This post reminds me about a family guy episode, funny as hell.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:56 pm

FartingBob wrote:On my local radio station when they play Nickelbacks 'Rockstar' they censor out the word 'drug' in the line "My own drug dealer on speeddial'. The word 'Drug' is apparently not suitable for broadcast. But the new line of "My own [pause] dealer on speeddial' is somehow better. They play this version at any time, even after the usual 9pm watershed.
And you're in the UK? I thought it was only in the US censoring like this took place. I wonder if Nickelback only has one radio version of this song with words like that censored out for the US stations, and this same version gets sent to stations all over the world. Some of our local stations cut out some pretty silly stuff, for example "heroin" and "drugs" in Forever by Papa Roach. Seems like ever since Janet showed her nipple on national television and traumatized millions of children, the FCC has really clamped down on broadcasters' freedoms.

But then we also have a university radio station that finds all kinds of creative ways to use "inappropriate" words, or just blatantly uses them. Don't know how they haven't got the FCC on their butts yet, maybe non-commercial stations aren't bound by the same rules, or maybe they just haven't noticed, heh.

mbetea

Post by mbetea » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:07 pm

I wonder if it's a record label thing. Here in Detroit, the local rock station (WRIF) will censor different words in different songs. One song they'll mute out a**, another song they'll leave a** alone but mute b*tch. There seems to be no single standard for them.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:44 am

I am constantly astonished that in the media it is acceptable to show incredible violence and people behaving horribly towards one another, but flash a tit or utter some lame expletive and it's considered offensive and must be censored. What kind of world are we creating?

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:56 am

alleycat wrote:I am constantly astonished that in the media it is acceptable to show incredible violence and people behaving horribly towards one another, but flash a tit or utter some lame expletive and it's considered offensive and must be censored. What kind of world are we creating?
I think it comes down to what can be easily policed and what can't. Expletives and nudity are easy, its either there or not, violence and poor behaviour are too gray to constantly pass or fail so no one tries. So it comes down to the FCC or whatever regulating body being plain lazy, do enough to somehow justify your job but stay away from the hard work.

floffe

Post by floffe » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:27 am

frostedflakes wrote:
And you're in the UK? I thought it was only in the US censoring like this took place. I wonder if Nickelback only has one radio version of this song with words like that censored out for the US stations, and this same version gets sent to stations all over the world.
In Sweden at least, it's still there.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:18 pm

frostedflakes wrote:
And you're in the UK?
Yea, and i guess it could be just that they have a single radio edit and everyone is just sent that. Still, very lame when you cant even say "drug" on radio.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:41 pm

frostedflakes wrote:And you're in the UK?
Just light a match, you'll find him. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:15 am

Xuestor wrote:Thankfully sweden has no censors whatsoever. This post reminds me about a family guy episode, funny as hell.
Same here. We basically have the best policy in the world, nothing is censored, nothing is dubbed (except cartoons). Everything is shows as the director/producer meant it.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:59 am

Erssa wrote:
Xuestor wrote:Thankfully sweden has no censors whatsoever. This post reminds me about a family guy episode, funny as hell.
Same here. We basically have the best policy in the world, nothing is censored, nothing is dubbed (except cartoons). Everything is shows as the director/producer meant it.
That would be awesome.

Honestly, the most irritating bit of it to me is that the vast majority of the censorship is done internally, with no fear of the FCC. If it is not going out on public broadcast, they should be able to do whatever they want. The South Park Movie and the same guys' puppet one being shown in early evening with nothing bleeped showed they can do it without anyone bitching, too.

Maybe it's just a conspiracy to get us to buy things again? Like, I'm going to have to buy another copy of Malena and Leon, because I got the U.S. releases, and it rubs me the wrong way that they don't contain all that the director decided was meant to be there. It's a conspiracy!!! :shock:

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:23 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXFz7vqbk1o

classic python.
-bet you they won't play this song on the radio. :lol:

grant2

Post by grant2 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:26 am

That's probably part of the reason HBO shows which have swearing, nudity, and violence are consistently popular... people are sick of sugar-sweet censoring!

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:11 am

Tv censorship is really funny. Why even bother with the beebs? Does it really matter, if someone says fuck, f**k, **** or beeb when they all have the same context and meaning? Or why bother blurring the mouth, or the finger when someone is flipping when everyone clearly knows what's behind the blur. How is it less offensive? That's just insane...

[Off topic]
We are quite proud of all of our words, profane or not. Last year was the 450th anniversary of Mikael Agricola's death. He was the founding father of Finnish language. Finland's national broadcasting company celebrated the anniversary by producing a tv series called Sanakirja (Dictionary). They brought guests in to present one Finnish word every day through the year. These guests were mostly language professionals like authors, linguists, songwriters, translators, scriptwriters, reporters, poets, etc. They talked about the etymologies of the words they chose, what the words mean to people and themselves, etc.

It was nice to notice, that many of the presented words could be categorized as vulgar, dirty or euphemisms for dirty words. Words like pillu, perkele, vittu, saatana, paska, panna and pylly. 3 of which would belong to the famous 7 by George Carlin. I thought it was funny, that the guy who chose the word "pillu" is a priest. He said something like, "I don't think pillu is a bad word, it's actually quite a nice word. It sounds hilarious and when you say it, it feels good in your mouth."

Panna is one of the most versatile words of the Finnish language. The translator, who presented it, said it's sad that people often refrain from using it, just because it has one vulgar meaning, and that people shouldn't neglect one of our best words.

Vittu (f-word) is also one of our most versatile words. Today it's so ordinary, that it's use sprouted a circular letter, where someone joked that Finnish grammar is going to get a new modus called aggressiivi (aggressive) to explain how we can have negative sentences without negation words. Things have progressed so far, that this aggressivi-modus was even mentioned in a recent PhD thesis, about dynamic constructions of Finnish language, getting lot's of media attention.
[/Off topic]

Maybe people in USA should also learn to appreciate their language and every word that comes with it, and put an end to the pointless censorship.