2.0 Speakers advice

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fabre

2.0 Speakers advice

Post by fabre » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:08 pm

I need some help deciding on a new set of external speakers for my laptop, has to be a 2.0 speaker system, main use will be to watch movies and the budget for the purchase is $50

So far I have short listed the following

Logitech V20 (USB)
Creative I-Trigue 2200
Creative Inspire T10

Does anyone have any experience with these? Which should give the better sound?

Feel free to recommend a different model as long it's within the budget

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:25 pm

I don't have personal experience with any of those three, but I can offer some general advice. If you want quality sound, don't get computer speakers. It might be difficult with your budget, but the best thing you can do for yourself is pick up an amplifier or A/V receiver and a set of bookshelf speakers. A garage sale might get you a pretty decent setup if you look around a bit (and if at all possible, test the speakers before buying to make sure they work).

However, you mentioned this is a laptop, and I'll be the first to admit that my solution is neither compact nor portable. If either of those aspects are significant, then please disregard my opinion and wait for someone who can give advice on computer speakers.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:29 pm

Get yourself a good pair of headphones. the sealed type earbuds are amoung the best and many manufacturers have good ones for around $50. Don't get the open earbuds, get the ones with foam rubber that seals around your ear canal.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:51 am

Headphones. Actually you won't get much sound quality with 50$ unless you buy something used.

fabre

Post by fabre » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:12 am

Headphones are not an option. (Already have a set of Grado SR-60)

We use the laptop on a tray to watch movies in bed, previous speakers were a set of Labtec Spin 75 and they sounded fine for our use. We don't need concert hall quality.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:23 am

Kind of weird use, if you don't mind me saying. :shock:

I bet the V20 would rock, as they need no additional power cables. Speaker power would probably be a non-issue as they would be so close - just make sure Windows doesn't turn them off to save power or anything. They were my choice for LAN party use before I decided headphones were the way to go after all.

fabre

Post by fabre » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:26 pm

Das_Saunamies wrote:Kind of weird use, if you don't mind me saying. :shock:
Well we don't have a TV and have been using that setup to watch movies and a couple of TV shows for quite a while now, haven't seen a commercial break in years :).

Yeah the V20 would be my first choice as well, but since they are USB I am just worried they might not sound as good as the Creative powered ones.
Not worried about power output just the sound quality.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:02 pm

I wouldn't worry about USB hurting the sound quality. I've got a friend who has a USB sound card(!) and it sounds at least as good as any PCI card I've heard. I can understand being concerned about the quality of the system, but it won't be because of the interface - it'll be the same issues affecting the quality of your other options at this price level.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:35 pm

I'm curious as to why it must be 2.0. Why not throw in a subwoofer for better sound? It's not much more expensive (if any). This seems really strange because for $50 there really isn't much point in going for external speakers. There is however the Altec Lansing ATP3's which are 2.1. If you can go for the previous model instead of the latest it would be best as I see them selling for around $20.

Another option would be to get another pair of SR-60's. I'm using the SR-80's and I still find that you cannot get the same crisp sound from speakers. That's especially important in low noise movies. Not disturbing others who are not watching the movie is also an added bonus. This is ofcourse a good solution if you have only 2 people watching the movie in bed.... unless you have children or the like joining you. (don't twist my words! :shock: ) If you insist on using 2.0, I'd probably say to just stick with your laptop speakers. If you must purchase speakers, I'd say jump to 2.1 since you can always turn off the sub. You can get good 2.1's for $50 or less as well.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:58 pm

Widowmaker: A $50 set of 2.0 speakers will sound better than a $50 set of 2.1 speakers. The 2.0 set will have more consistent and even frequency response, at the expense of the very low rumbles. And to be honest, at that price, a 2.1 set isn't going to give you all that much bass anyway.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:32 pm

I partially agree with your statement. You need to look at what the intended purpose of the speakers are for. Personally, I'd prefer some bass when watching movies (depends on what movies you watch), however would rather sacrifice bass and speakers altogether for good headphones when listening to the music I listen to. Again this will depend on what music you listen to. To me, a movie just doesn't quite feel like a movie without the bass when you need it.

$20 2.1 Altec Lansing ATP3 speakers give quite good bass even at very low levels (especially on hardwood floors). Obviously it won't be Earth shattering, but that's not the objective.