irresponsible marketing? free gun with every truck

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jaganath

irresponsible marketing? free gun with every truck

Post by jaganath » Fri May 23, 2008 3:07 am

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/rtrs/20080522/ ... 87f7f.html

for the Missouri residents on here in particular, do you think this is irresponsible marketing, and what impact do you think it will have on crime in Missouri? more specifically, is it any wonder you have a gun crime problem when they are giving them out like lollipops at the fair?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri May 23, 2008 3:53 am

I was going to post this yesterday, but I thought it would be spammed to death. Probably still will be......

You get your choice when you buy a car from this dealer......out in the country away from the big dangerous cities.... $250 toward a gun or a few tank-fulls of gas. Most people thus far are going for the gun, for a number of reasons, related to crime.

Of course you have to go through the standard back-ground checks if you go for the gun....... which might save your life, or the life of your wife and kids. Of course you can always call the police if you have a problem, but out in the country it might take a long time for any help to arrive. Everybody out there owns guns, who can afford to. That's the way it is.

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Fri May 23, 2008 4:22 am

More interesting would be free liquor with the car... now that might make for some mayhem on the roads.... :lol:

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Fri May 23, 2008 4:51 am

What's irresponsible about it? Buying guns is perfectly legal in this country. If they sell them down the street, and the person has to go through the same checks, why is this any worse than if they got a cruise for buying a vehicle?

People getting pissed off and somehow thinking they have a right to kill someone else is the problem, whether they select a gun or a knife or poison or car bomb or roadside bomb or whatever. Guns are just convenient, but don't blame the guns. Right now. people are way more screwed up than in the past. Taking away the guns is not going to change the attitudes or even reduce the violence.

OMG, we have an obesity problem in the country too. Should we outlaw cruises (my favorite vacations) and all the food they push on people, and outlaw Twinkies and Coca Cola for the good of the nation! Pretty soon, we can just assign everyone a babysitter, script their lives, and <implied disgust if this goes too far, and transition to an alternative that would be better> oh yeah, see ya in Canada (close, and first country that came to mind.), eh?
Last edited by VanWaGuy on Fri May 23, 2008 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri May 23, 2008 5:30 am

Irresponsible use of motor vehicles kills more people than guns....far more. So I guess giving away gasoline could also be considered irresponsible.

If you live out in the country in Missouri, your little town may not have it's own police dept. It then relies on the county police..... which might at any particular time be 45 minutes away, maybe more. That's why country folk have guns.

Where I live the police station is a mile away..... still won't help me if somebody breaks in at 2AM. My .357 Colt will..... :lol:

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Fri May 23, 2008 6:55 am

VanWaGuy wrote: Pretty soon, we can just assign everyone a babysitter, script their lives, and oh yeah, see ya in Canada, eh?
yes... my life is scripted and boring without guns.... woe is me... :roll:
canadians should all get guns and rid ourselves of this oppressive regime.

i've never touched a gun in my life and i don't think i ever will. even as self defence, i don't see the justification of shooting someone in the face for taking my TV. maybe i'm weak. maybe i'm a pushover. but i think human life is a little more valuable than the junk in my house....

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Fri May 23, 2008 7:41 am

vanwaguy wrote:see ya in Canada, eh?
Aw, you say that like it's a bad thing. Anyway, I thought gun ownership was pretty high in Canada?

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Fri May 23, 2008 9:15 am

Sorry, I meant no disrespect at all to Canada. I did not say things were scripted in Canada. I tried to say that if we go overboard regulating everything that anyone may disagree with, that some may elect to leave this land that was established as a symbol of freedom, not regulation and PCness. While posting way too early in the morning, I merely picked the first country that came to mind, and in the 70's, people fled to Canada when they disagreed with the US government.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Fri May 23, 2008 11:10 am

Here's (part of) the ad.

neon joe

Post by neon joe » Fri May 23, 2008 11:32 am

blackworx wrote:Here's (part of) the ad.
HA! I like the 'High Prices Don't Stand a CHANCE!'

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Fri May 23, 2008 11:41 am

neon joe wrote:
blackworx wrote:Here's (part of) the ad.
HA! I like the 'High Prices Don't Stand a CHANCE!'
i think the idea is to use the gun to hold up the gas station, hahaha...

@vanwa
"blame canada!" :P

anyways. as long as they're practicing due diligence, i don't see the problem with it. i mean, if some nutjob really wanted to get a gun and go on a shooting spree, there are much easier and cheaper ways to do it than buying a new car....

the real problem with all of this is america's gun-crazed culture... but that's for another thread.... another day.

floffe

Post by floffe » Fri May 23, 2008 11:59 am

That ad reminds me of a store we have here: It's a hunting store and custom bike shop combined, at least that's how it looks from the signs. And this is in a country where handguns are pretty much banned for personal use, although hunters can have rifles. It just cracks me up seeing the two of them mixed together, with the bad reputation of biker gangs and then the big sign "ammo" right next to it.

lor77

Post by lor77 » Fri May 23, 2008 1:00 pm

This is really ridiculous.
I guess now they will start handing out guns in Kinder surprise chocolate eggs for kids just for the fan of it.
It makes me wonder how retarded people are!!

neon joe

Post by neon joe » Fri May 23, 2008 1:31 pm

lor77 wrote:This is really ridiculous.
I guess now they will start handing out guns in Kinder surprise chocolate eggs for kids just for the fan of it.
It makes me wonder how retarded people are!!
Obviously, they aren't 'handing out guns'.... the advertisement even says 'approved background check required'.

No need to fly off the handle... :)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri May 23, 2008 2:25 pm

mr. poopyhead...... You don't "shoot people in the face" if you want to stop them. It's way too easy to miss such a shot. You aim for the heart......any place even close will stop them dead.

And I'm well aware that there are people so poor that nothing they have is worth fighting for...... not freedom, not family, not personal possessions, not even their own life. I feel sorry for any of you who are that poor....
Last edited by Bluefront on Fri May 23, 2008 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nick705

Post by nick705 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:18 pm

Bluefront wrote:mr. poopyhead...... You don't "shoot people in the face" if you want to stop them. It's way too easy to miss such a shot. You aim for the heart......any place even close will stop them dead.

And I'm well aware that there are people so poor that nothing they have is worth fighting for...... not freedom, not family, not personal positions, not even their own life. I feel sorry for any of you who are that poor....
So you see no distinction between "fighting to protect one's family" and "killing to save a TV set"...?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri May 23, 2008 4:02 pm

So where do you stop? "Here's by car, my home, everything I own.....even the shirt off my back". Those things are your life......the hours you spent to buy those things are your life. If you don't value your life throw up your hands and give it away. I don't buy into that sort of thinking.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri May 23, 2008 4:53 pm

No one is poorer than people without ethics, which is we're becoming a third world country.

Guns don't stop the power hungry mindset.

Laws don't apply to the powerful, just ask Scooter Libby.

But we're much more civilized here, we sell gas and beer together. :shock:

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Fri May 23, 2008 5:30 pm

Legality and morality are two completely different subjects.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri May 23, 2008 7:02 pm

IE Our checks and balances aren't working.

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Fri May 23, 2008 7:39 pm

Bluefront wrote:mr. poopyhead...... You don't "shoot people in the face" if you want to stop them. It's way too easy to miss such a shot. You aim for the heart......any place even close will stop them dead.

And I'm well aware that there are people so poor that nothing they have is worth fighting for...... not freedom, not family, not personal possessions, not even their own life. I feel sorry for any of you who are that poor....
firstly, i didn't mean LITERALLY shooting someone in the face. i'm no expert with a six-shooter, but i think i'm well aware that that it might not be the best place to shoot.

secondly, i really hope you're not implying that my life is completely devoid of anything worth protecting, just because i don't choose to carry a GUN to protect them. i wouldn't even know where to begin picking that reasoning apart... well actually, i do. but that should be for another thread... which i doubt anyone would dare start because it would most certainly degenerate into mud-slinging and get locked within days...
Last edited by mr. poopyhead on Fri May 23, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Fri May 23, 2008 7:52 pm

That and it's also illegal for us Canadians to carry concealed arms :wink:

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Fri May 23, 2008 8:10 pm

Exposed arms only, and such a cold climate. That would be cold! :D

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Fri May 23, 2008 8:42 pm

LOL boooooooooooooooo

nick705

Post by nick705 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:17 am

Bluefront wrote:So where do you stop? "Here's by car, my home, everything I own.....even the shirt off my back". Those things are your life......the hours you spent to buy those things are your life. If you don't value your life throw up your hands and give it away. I don't buy into that sort of thinking.
The implication of what you're saying is that there's no defined point at which you "stop," and that every situation in which you feel under any sort threat justifies the most extreme of responses. I hope I'm rational enough to make the right judgement as to when the use of deadly force is warranted, and it wouldn't be because I saw some asswipe making off with my Sony Bravia.

Slightly OT (and related to the other gun thread): I wonder how many people here have actually killed another human being, and felt the shame and disgust that goes with it (however justified it may have been)?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat May 24, 2008 1:14 am

"shame and disgust "..... there should be none of the sort when you use deadly force to defend your life, or the life of your family. When someone breaks into your house, you have to assume the worst.....he could kill you. You should use whatever is at your disposal to defend yourself.

Outside of that situation there is such a thing as "excessive force". You'll get in big trouble if the person you just shot is outside your home, unless it is in self-defense. Too bad there is so much crime, and the need to defend yourself. But it's something we deal with. You can simply give up to crime....or defend yourself if there's no police at hand.

VanWaGuy

Post by VanWaGuy » Sat May 24, 2008 8:13 am

Nick,

I have seen cases in the news where someone shot someone robbing their house, and they were arrested and brought to trial. If there is no threat to your life, then there is no justification for deadly force.

I own a few guns, but they are not really that important to me. I have not even shot one in over 15 years.

What is more important to me is the principle involved, and defending our rights to own them.

I have a harder time defending handguns than I do rifles. Some justify guns so that they can hunt. Some justify it because it was a basic right when our country was formed, and we might even need to revolt again if things got too bad. (Although rifles are not much of a match for tanks, and B-2's).

For most hunting, a rifle is preferable to a handgun. Still, I do not think that we need government stepping in to regulate a right that we have had for over 200 years.

We have had the rights to guns for over 200 years. Today, violence is out of control, and law enforcement seems inadequate. If guns were the problem, why the 200 year lag till the symptoms showed up? I would certainly like to see that improved, but taking away guns does not fix the problem or even many of the symptoms.

If someone had a comprehensive plan that seemed like it really would cut down on murders and robberies, made the streets safer, maybe even somehow got rid of the out of control tweakers stealing catalytic converters, wiring, road separators and selling them as scrap, and that plan also required turning in handguns, I might be first in line as a show of support and turn mine in.

If the plan is just a knee-jerk reaction to seeing too many killings in the news, so we needs to take evil guns off the street, well, I am going to defend my rights to my gun till the plan makes a bit more sense.