Song ID service

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

widowmaker

Song ID service

Post by widowmaker » Wed May 28, 2008 8:56 am

Does anyone know of any online services where say you can upload a short mp3 clip of a song that you want ID'd then it will analyze the clip and return the song name or at least a list of possible hits? I'm surprised nothing like this has become mainstream yet. The best resource so far is posting the sound clip in a forum and asking.

Matija

Post by Matija » Wed May 28, 2008 9:36 am

Try Picard: http://musicbrainz.org

Not online, but overall a great thing.

widowmaker

Post by widowmaker » Wed May 28, 2008 9:52 am

I think that only works with complete songs. What I was thinking of was more like recording a short clip with my mp3 player and then going home and looking up the song. Sometimes I'm out on the street and I hear a song I like say from someone's radio or whatever and I want to ID it. I'd take my recording device and record a short snippet of it.

CraftyChicken
Patron of SPCR

Post by CraftyChicken » Wed May 28, 2008 10:36 am

I have this problem all the time. What I do, if I can remember the lyrics, is simply type them into google + the keyword 'lyrics.'

Or, checkout metrolyrics.com, lyricstime.com, or any of the plethora of other lyrics sites out there.

And sometimes, if you happen to know the approx. time + radio station, you can usually go to their website and view their play list. From there it's a snap to just lookup the song playing around the time you heard it.

And if all else fails, nothing beats a good post in a related newsgroup.

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Re: Song ID service

Post by mr. poopyhead » Wed May 28, 2008 12:21 pm

widowmaker wrote:Does anyone know of any online services where say you can upload a short mp3 clip of a song that you want ID'd then it will analyze the clip and return the song name or at least a list of possible hits? I'm surprised nothing like this has become mainstream yet. The best resource so far is posting the sound clip in a forum and asking.
ta-da!
http://www.sonyericsson.com/product/trackid/