Washed my USB stick

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Matija

Washed my USB stick

Post by Matija » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:31 am

Mother dearest informed me just now that something fell out of the pants I washed yesterday and hung out to dry.

It was my Corsair Voyager stick.

How long do you think I should wait until trying to plug it in? Should I put it out on the sun for a while?

Plissken
Friend of SPCR

Post by Plissken » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:41 am

Water resistant
http://www.corsairmemory.com/products/voyager.aspx

Doesn't apply to a wash in a machine though.
I'd shake it a lot, wait a couple hours, shake it again then plug it in 8)
If you have valuable data I might wait a day or 2.

Matija

Post by Matija » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:49 am

It wasn't washed in the machine, just gently soaked in a bathtub ;)

I'm most worried about plugging the thing in, and if there's water inside, having it short-circuit something and making the whole case burn to the ground or something :D

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:24 am

Put it out in the sun a few hours and plug it in.

If you dont have anything on it you need right now, leave it in the sun as long as possible.

That should do it.

Matija

Post by Matija » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:35 am

It's working... Note to self: double-check all pockets before washing the laundry next time.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:56 am

This goes for any piece of electronics...

My friend called me up and told me he washed his cell phone :shock: in with the laundry. It no longer worked but he had already gone and purchased a junk phone off ebay to replace it. I said, unless you plugged it in to charge it's probably fine. Here's how I got him up and running again.

Step 0: If the event just happened, remove battery immediately!!!!

Step 1: Find some very clean water. Deionized would be best, distilled is good, and bottled water will work in a pinch but you need to use the alcohol more.

Step 2: Get some 99% pure IPA (don't use the 70% stuff).

Step 3: Open your electronic device and lay out all essential parts, removing any layered plastic parts or films (like keyboard/keypads, LCD screens) that are not soldered together.

Step 4: Rinse thoroughly each piece with the DI water (you can submerge it completely if you like). You really want to get all parts wet to make sure any impurities (like soap and dirty water) are removed.

Step 5: Shake pieces out or blow them off with a low-pressure air hose (with clean air) or air duster can. Let pieces dry for a day or so, until all water is evaporated.

Step 6: Using a dropper or cotton swap, wet out all surfaces you can with the alcohol to remove any remaining impurities left on the device.

Step 7: Let dry as long as necessary.

Step 8: Put device back together, insert battery and hope for the best! NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!

NOTE: This should only be done with solid state devices. Never submerge any moving mechanisms like hard drives in water or anything else for that matter.

floffe

Post by floffe » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:22 am

jhhoffma wrote:My friend called me up and told me he washed his cell phone :shock: in with the laundry.
I did that once as well. After taking it apart and leaving it to dry overnight, everything worked fine but the microphone. That meant it wasn't very useful as a phone though, so I had to get a new one.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I did the same to my MP3 player. It was a tiny one that didn't have any screws to open it, so I decided against trying to break the cover to open it.

Needless to say, nowadays I check my pockets more than once...

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:11 am

A friend once dropped his phone in a pint glass full of Buckfast and somehow managed to get it working again which, as anyone who's ever been near the stuff will testify, is a minor miracle.

Stranger still, he has yet to explain why a bottle of Bucky was even in the vicinity of a glass in the first place, never mind poured into one.