How to Disable Windows Media Player

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

andyb
Patron of SPCR

How to Disable Windows Media Player

Post by andyb » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:34 am

Windows Media Player is used by many of us, loathed by some of us (me included), and annoys and frustrates the rest of us.

I am not sure whether this is common knowledge or not, but I recently discovered a way to disable Windows Media Player AKA (a total bastard virus like application).

I have been an avid user of "Media Player Classic" as part of the "K-Lite Codec Pack" for some years now for all of my video watching, and I am still a happy user of Winamp for the little audio I ever listen too.

The other day I discovered that someone had used my PC and had played back some kind of audio file (I had recently re-installed my PC and forgot to install Winamp). I was really pissed off as "The Virus" then tried to play back everything under the sun, and I hate it with a passion.

I already knew that un-installing it does absolutely nothing at all, and it can be disabled by creating a file of any type you like, placing it into "The Virus's" folder and re-naming it very quickly after deleting the original - thus replacing "The Virus" with a dud file. This works very often, and I have had success in the past with this method. However no luck this time (could it be SP3 ?.) "The Virus" actually went as far as replacing my "dud" file with itself before my very eyes - one moment a 1KB file then it was back again. FYI it does this if you delete it, feel free to give it ago, watch in amazement as "The Virus" appears again out of nowhere - this is why I call it "The Virus" I have witnessed hundred of Viruses do this.

Again I looked into ways to remove it, but found nothing. I tried to replace the entire folder with a "dud", but again this didn’t work. This is the point I thought about folders and permissions :twisted: This works perfectly.

You will of course need access to the permissions tab within XP, if you are not an administrator you cant do it, but their are ways round that problem. If you have XP home, you only get access to the permissions tab when running in "safe mode" (unless you do a hack). You will also have had to turn off the "simple file sharing" option within windows (Windows explorer, tools, folder options, view, bottom option).

You then need to navigate to C:\program files you will see the folder in question - called "windows media player" right click on it, and choose "properties" then the "security" tab, click on the "advanced" button and un-tick the option "inherit from the parent the per...." click "remove", click "apply", click on the "auditing" tab, un-tick the same box, click "apply", click "OK", click on the "owner" tab, choose your "username" then tick the box, click "OK, and then click "yes". At this point your user is the only user on your PC that can even open the folder, and due to the other things that have been done this has done exactly the same thing to all of the files and folder contained within, and can not be over ruled by the settings that affect the "program files" folder. Now all we need to do is remove your user, and "The Virus" can not be run. As we just did, you will need to go back to the properties of the folder "windows media player", go to the "security" tab and click "remove", click "OK", and "finally" click "yes".

Now try double clicking on the folder "windows media player", you will find that you don’t have access to the program or any other files contained within. Feel free to rejoice, and perhaps re-install the media player(s) that you want for the last time, knowing full well that "The Virus" has been destroyed for good. Just don’t download any future "windows media player" versions, and possibly disable "automatic updates".

I hope that you enjoy being rid of "The Virus" for good, and that my description, is accurate and easy to follow. You may also ask me questions about why I hate "The Virus" as much as I do, and just incase you missed it before, I will give you 3 reasons - no more should be needed.

1). I don’t want it, so I should be able to remove it if I choose to do so.
2). Uninstalling it is a joke, it does nothing at all.
3). Deleting files stops all programs from working except for viruses, malicious software, and "windows media player". I remove anything that puts itself back automatically, which is why i regard WMP as "The Virus".

Andy

xev

Post by xev » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 am

Wow that was quite something. I don't particularly like WMP either, but I simply don't use it. I have all my permissions assigned to other programs, be it itunes (necessary since I have an iPod) or VLC (the best video player imo). Of course I use winamp too, but only when I'm in the mood.

But MSFT definitely loves doing things their way, and unfortunately it's very annoying to many. They could be the greatest company ever, but instead they are just in top 5.

zoatebix

Post by zoatebix » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:20 pm

MS shipped versions of Vista without WMP 11 to the EU ("In the European Union, Home Basic N and Business N versions are also available. These come without Windows Media Player, due to EU sanctions brought against Microsoft for violating anti-trust laws. Similar sanctions exist in South Korea." sayeth Wikipedia). It looks like if you're running Ultimate, you've gotta hack WMP away.

Something like this might help, though: http://www.vlite.net/

klankymen
Patron of SPCR

Post by klankymen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:40 pm

are we talking vista or xp here?

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Post by sea2stars » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:59 pm

+1 for vlite or nlite if you don't mind reinstalling your OS

Then all you have to do is remove WMP from Windows Update.

zoatebix

Post by zoatebix » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:24 pm

klankymen wrote:are we talking vista or xp here?
We're definitely talking Vista, since Vista treats WMP as an integral part of the OS. It does take [utl=http://techie-buzz.com/technology-buzz/ ... er-11.html]a little extra effort[/url] to uninstall it under XP, though.

I think I read in another thread that andyb has Vista Ultimate, but I could be imagining things.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:22 am

are we talking vista or xp here?
We are talking XP, WMP is an "integral" part of XP as well as Fista, but MS are lying - it's not integral at all, as I dont have any problems with it being totally locked out of use on my system(s), thus it can not be an integral part.

What really annoys me is that all of the rest of the "integral" parts that are included in XP can be disabled, such a the CD Writing ability, the Windows (cough) firewall, the "Zip file" opening ability, the "picture and fax viewer", its only WMP that can not be removed by usual means and can cause problems if someone opens it when the shouldnt, or a rarely used file type have been set to be used by WMP and not one of the many prefered apps instead.

BTW, I am far from a Fista fan, and will only ever use it if there is a killer game that is DX10 ONLY, and no-one has made DX10 work with XP. Until Windows 7 comes out I will be using XP.

Andy

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:07 am

VLC is great. It plays everything. I might as well download Media Player Classic too. Adobe's Media player works pretty well also.

I just assign all the files to play in other programs. Windows Media Player never runs on my comp. as a result.

What about Linux?

---

I had an odd bug in real player the other day: it downloads gigabyte after gigabyte of trash until the hard drive is full and the computer nearly ceases to function (due to the lack of disk space). It wasn't hard to locate the 122GB garbage file and delete it though.

Real player's great for downloading YouTube videos.

---

zoatebix

Post by zoatebix » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:11 am

I guess I was imagining things :oops:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:01 am

I have used VLC a few times, but I didnt find it any better than Media Player Classic so I never really looked into it further, although a couple of friends swear by it.

I dont(wont) install Real anything or any Apple software onto my PC again, for a couple of years I have'nt had to either, as you can download plug-ins of Media Payer Classic for both, so essentially I only need 1 video player for ALL movie playback, and one for music.

They are called "Real Alternative", and it was called "Quicktime Alternative, but this has been discontinued, so I now use "QT Lite". All can be found along with the K-Lite Codec Pack, and VLC, most can be found under the "most wanted" section on the left.

http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec ... wnload.htm

Real and QT alternatives can be installed onto a PC with the originals without interfering if you just choose what opens the files - you can then experiment by right-clicking and choosing "open with" onto a file.

Andy

woodsman

Post by woodsman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:04 am

Another possibility if a person does not want to mess with ripping WMP out of the system or even disabling is to configure the firewall software to prevent the software from having access off the system.

The first time I worked with a post 6.4 version of WMP, I noticed immediately the program phoning home. I created a firewall rule preventing that from happening. The same is possible globally to prevent other users from using WMP except locally. Protect the firewall rules with a password and other users would be unable to use WMP except to play files stored on the hard drive or CD.

Although not an option for some people, I use KDE (in Slackware Linux). Some people could set up a separate box with any version of GNU/Linux and use that box only for audio-video requirements. No phone home nonsense, no issues, no problems. Setting up a GNU/Linux box for basic web surfing and audio-video would much alleviate the problem of other users --- usually family members who do not understand the related issues. Just an idea ---.

wim

Post by wim » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:57 pm

nice post

wmp is a steaming pile of turd

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:28 am

Can't you use the Deny attribute instead of going through all the rigamaroll of changing permissions then deleting users? Just setting the folder to Deny on all actions (for user "Everyone") should do the trick and is easily reversible for the person making the edit. Not so easy to figure out by some random user.

Beyonder

Re: How to Disable Windows Media Player

Post by Beyonder » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:33 am

andyb wrote:Windows Media Player is used by many of us, loathed by some of us (me included), and annoys and frustrates the rest of us.
I've always liked WMP, to be honest. I always find it odd that people vehemently dislike it. And rarely do these people clearly enumerate why they dislike it.

WMP is used by numerous other applications, which is why it is an "integral" part of the OS. Not because MSFT needs it, but because third party applications frequently use WMP to render audio and video. MSFT has always been aggressive about backwards compatibility, so platforms that lack WMP could break existing applications that host WMP.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:51 am

Can't you use the Deny attribute instead of going through all the rigamaroll of changing permissions then deleting users? Just setting the folder to Deny on all actions (for user "Everyone") should do the trick and is easily reversible for the person making the edit. Not so easy to figure out by some random user.
That is a valid point, I expect that you can do so, I however am so used to changing peoples permissions (forcefully) on a regular basis that I forgot it's existence. If anyone wants to try it feel free to let us know the outcome.
I've always liked WMP, to be honest. I always find it odd that people vehemently dislike it. And rarely do these people clearly enumerate why they dislike it.
I have no problems with someone who likes it, but to flip your question around, why do you like it. I have pointed out reasons why I dont like it, but I will add a few.

It phones home, it has fewer features and options than its rivals (MPC/VLC), it isnt as easy to use for video playback, or audio playback, it doesnt support (with the aid of a plugin) being able to play back "Real" files, or "Quicktime" files, it lacks the ability to be able to play many file types without extra codec's, and then cant find them on the internet when it tries.

That last part is how I came across the K-Lite Codec Pack and "Media Player Classic", I wanted/needed to be able to play back things that WMP simply couldnt, I then discovered that I no longer needed it at all for anything. And better yet, I didn'nt need the Real/Quicktime infection either - I actually killed 3 birds with one stone.
WMP is used by numerous other applications, which is why it is an "integral" part of the OS. Not because MSFT needs it, but because third party applications frequently use WMP to render audio and video. MSFT has always been aggressive about backwards compatibility, so platforms that lack WMP could break existing applications that host WMP.
I cant say that I have had any problems, could you give me an example or 2 please.

Andy

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:26 pm

Can you download youtube videos with the K-Lite Codec Pack?

If so, I'll go ahead and remove all my media players. Actually, I'm installing the pack now, so I'll soon know.

wim

Post by wim » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 pm

i have used mediaplayer classic for years now, it can open virtually everything. it can't download from youtube afaik (but it can play .flv files). for this i use a web-based script save youtube