Bulk hard drive storage container?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Bulk hard drive storage container?

Post by matt_garman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:38 am

I recently purchased one of those USB hard drive docking stations (e.g. Thermaltake BlacX). This is perfect for backups.

The problem is, I now have a handful of internal hard drives that I need to store somewhat safely. I have them all in anti-static bags. But what I'd like is some kind of fitted container, where the drives would be "suspended" in foam.

I've seen other people post pics of their bulk hard drive orders, and some retailers (or maybe it's the manufacturer) package the drives in the kind of container I'm describing (that's where I got the idea).

Just wondering where I could pick one of these up.

Thanks,
matt

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:18 pm

I don't know how easy it is the "peel back the foreskin" on this type of silicon rubber jacket, but if it was easy enough it seems like these would be the perfect solution.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:31 pm

Having "peeled back the foreskin" on a few of the rubberised Seagate drives, it's not easy to do.

That "foreskin" may be much more er... easy to handle than the Seagate ones which are not designed to be circum.... taken off anyway.

You might be just as well off using HDD clamshells, they wont take a pounding, or even a dropping, but they allow you to feel comfortable handling many drives, as putting them down on a hard desk surface wont hurt them, wheras if you are like me you will put the HDD down so softly you wont even hear a noise.

http://www.modthebox.com/reviews/samsun ... msung1.jpg

Andy

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by matt_garman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:56 pm

I poached a couple pics from another forum.

This is what I have in mind:

Here is another example (the image is too big to post on the forums, so I linked it).

I actually prefer the looks of the first pic (the one actually shown here). I don't know what kind of foam that is---it might be the super el-cheapo kind that crumbles after one use. But if the foam was of decent quality, that would be a really nice container. Especially if you could double box it, or even get a nice hardshell case for it.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:30 pm

I've got one of those 8) at work, its bright pink, and has been used constantly for the last few years, so its certainly durable so long as its not handled often (it lives on a shelf somewhere between full and half full of drives (without clamshells).

If you can find one you will be happy. Mine turned up when we ordered a bunch of drives (10-20 I think), the bottom part (that we use) goes 2/3rds of the way up the drive, the other third is provided by the lid giving 720-degree protection. I believe that we ordered a bunch of Excelstor drives (basically sHitachi) each one came in its own clamshell inside this protective carrier.

BTW, the one I have looks almost identical to the one linked to in the second picture, including the slots for the clamshells (that can only be fitted in one way round).

Andy

matt_garman
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by matt_garman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:46 pm

This is exactly what I have in mind. But the price! Too rich for my blood.

I did find a box like I showed in the picture above on ebay.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:31 am

You can make your own out of a bankers box or a plastic storage tub and some thick furniture foam. I'm talking about the real thick stuff (3-4") you get at fabric stores (JoAn's). You can stack that real thick and cut your own holes where you want them, with another layer or two on top.

It's usually ugly green and turns ugly yellow-brown over time, but it says firm yet supple (like Italian leather).

yefi

Post by yefi » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:50 pm

matt_garman wrote: I don't know what kind of foam that is---it might be the super el-cheapo kind that crumbles after one use. But if the foam was of decent quality, that would be a really nice container.
That looks like vanilla expanded-polystyrene. You can buy it in blocks or sheets from arts and crafts stores and carve it up with a hot-wire foam cutter.

DG

Post by DG » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:21 am

Shock protection is little concern for me, because, when not powered on, hdds have amazing shock resistance. Also, you keep them in a storage room, so you're not like carring them all the time. Imo, more important for me is magnetic protection and humidity control. And i don't know how to solve this problem. :(

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:03 am

matt_garman wrote:This is exactly what I have in mind. But the price! Too rich for my blood.

I did find a box like I showed in the picture above on ebay.
Pelican usually sells the interior foam separately. If you can't find it somewhere on the website, give 'em a call. $40-50 is the general price range for the non-AS foam.