LCD TV and "semi-transparent shadowing"

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

LCD TV and "semi-transparent shadowing"

Post by RaptorZX3 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:01 pm

ok on the LCD TV i bought recently, when playing on my Wii or other systems when there's visible outlines, for example white letters on a blue background, i can see beside the letters, some kind of semi-transparent "shadowing"

is that because i'm running on 480i on my Wii? (my LCD TV native resolution is 1366x768, it can do 720p)

i tried on my "media center computer", using the Analog connector on the TV, and running it at 1360x768 (why can't i put it at 1366?) or 1280x720, it's a bit less visible, but still there...

or what i'm describing here is just an optical illusion?

or maybe it's just normal for LCD TVs? (i don't see that on my regular computer monitor though, using a good DVI cable)

can i use a HDMI-to-DVI converter on my LCD TV to improve at least the display on my media center computer? (if it do improve the display)

LCD TV: Dynex DX-LCD32-09, 32inch TV (native 1366x768, support up to 1360x768 only?)
LCD monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 730b, 17inch (native 1280x1024)

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:07 am

You don't say what cable you are using between the Wii and the tv (and I don't know a thing about consoles), but shadowing can easily occur on analog signals. So if the Wii is using a DVI or HDMI cable, I'm out of ideas, but if it's using a VGA or composite cable, you could try to replace it.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:38 am

As far as I know, the only cables available for a Wii are component (three cables, red, blue, and green) and composite (single yellow cable). I'd expect this issue with a composite cable. If that's what you're using, trust me, it's worth buying the better cable set; the difference in video quality is incredible.

As far as the media center computer is concerned, connecting with VGA will help considerably, and connecting with DVI or HDMI (essentially the same thing) will make a huge difference. DVI can easily be adapted to HDMI (DVI on computer, HDMI on TV), and I'm pretty sure the reverse is true as well.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:52 am

i use components on my Wii, and strangely it seem like it's not even 16:9 even when i'm normal "zoom mode" and even selected 16:9 on my Wii system preferences. I'll be putting my Media Center resolution to 1280x720.

i use standard Analog cable for my media center on my TV. So a HDMI-to-DVI adapter should work on it?
Last edited by RaptorZX3 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:56 pm

i'll get a HDMI (male) to DVI-D (male) cable so i'll be able to connect my media center computer on Digital...when i'll have a fair video card in it (using built-in video, analog only).

my media center uses an Antec Aria case, so i have to use a small, short video card in it, i remember my old Radeon X1300Pro 256mb was barely fitting in it (sold it about a year ago), but still had the DVI connector.