Does anyone here speak and read Swedish?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Does anyone here speak and read Swedish?

Post by N7SC » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:31 am

Some of you may recall, from a post about why I drive a Volvo, that I do drive a Volvo. On another forum, for us Volvo owners who take a do-it-yourself approach to maintenance and repairs, someone posted this link to a very funny video apparently filmed in Sweden (or possibly another Scandinavian country):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a30NNVgwQLQ

While hilarious and a perfect example of how NOT to resurface a cylinder head, I can not help but wonder whether or not they actually put it on a car, and whether or not it actually worked.

All of the comments left about the video are in Swedish, and there is one that looks like it might be a question, which the man who posted the video answered. I am wondering if the question was whether the head actually worked after they refinished it. Also kind of wondering what the guys were talking about while they were doing the refinishing. Or whatever you might want to call what they did.

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:54 pm

"Did it become good?"

"Oh yes... it started. But then we drove and killed it at a race in a field that we had."

It's been a very long time since I had my swedish studies but that's what it seems to say.

floffe

Post by floffe » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:08 pm

lm is right, even if it was a long time since he was in school.

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:20 pm

Thank you both very much. The other guys at the Brickboard (www.brickboard.com), the Volvo site that I also frequent, will be grateful too, to know that the car actually ran.

Mats

Re: Does anyone here speak and read Swedish?

Post by Mats » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:48 am

N7SC wrote:Also kind of wondering what the guys were talking about while they were doing the refinishing. Or whatever you might want to call what they did.
After 3 minutes they realize that the surface won't get flat, and wonders if the plank under the sandpaper is warped, LOL. Maybe they should have checked that before they started working, or drinking.

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:36 am

See how to do a complete engine renewal, Swedish style :wink:, here: http://hejbilist.nu/motor.html

Image texts:
  1. Lift the engine out of the car.
  2. Remove all screws.
  3. Some joker put a bike chain in our engine. We cut it off.
  4. Remove the top.
  5. Here we're "tuning" the block. Blow in the oil pipe. The tones coming out should match those from the flute.
  6. If they don't, wash the block.
  7. Time to plane the top. Don't do this in rain because then you'll get water planing.
  8. After-drawing the top. Drag it at least fourteen laps while not driving slower than 90[kpm].
  9. This is a top job.
  10. Build a new gasket that you put on the block.
  11. Thoroughly apply "block chocolate" (a cheap chocolate bar, melted).
  12. Remount the top.
  13. Tighten the nuts until it feels just right.
  14. Done.
Cheers
Olle