WindowsXP Pro like MCE?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wojtek

WindowsXP Pro like MCE?

Post by wojtek » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:37 am

Hi,

Quick question - Is there any way to make Windows XP Pro like Windows MCE? I mean GUI. I remember that there was some software which can do this but don't remember name. Today I found MediaPortal but it's still buggy...
Or maybe it was some update/patch/add-on for Windows XP?

Thanks for help.

lobuni

Post by lobuni » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:52 pm

You are probably looking for HTPC / PVR software

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:37 pm

I looked into it when I was building an HTPC near the middle of 08. You might be able to rig up an XP install to do the MCE stuff, but it was very much not a simple thing to do it sounded like, if even possible (the MCE version is basically Pro with the media centre app and a few tweaks).

And then the alternative software, it all depends on your surrounding hardware--I had to fiddle with this, faddle with that to get resolution right on a widescreen LCD tv.

This after several tries with Mythbuntu. Ended up just buying a copy of Vista Home Premium. Very satisfied, and honestly...it just works. :D

Maybe try GB-PVR.

tehcrazybob
Friend of SPCR

Post by tehcrazybob » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:08 pm

Picking a specific software package will depend on what tasks you're looking to perform. Vista Home Premium has a rather good media center, and MythTV is also highly-regarded. However, if you don't have a TV tuner card and simply want to play back music and movies, there's nothing better than XBMC. I've been running this on my XBox for several years, and can't imagine a better package. I've never found a file format it can't run, the interface is simple and intuitive, and you can pick your OS.

The only cons are that I don't believe it has codecs for GPU-accelerated playback, and it doesn't have support for TV and PVR functions.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:34 am

You tried MediaPortal 1.0 and found it buggy? Hard to believe since, I've used it over the years and found it the most stable aside from XBMC (from which MediaPortal is based). GB-PVR works well particularly for systems with tuners installed.

But in the end, if you didn't like MediaPortal, XBMC is your next best option.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:06 am

jhhoffma wrote:You tried MediaPortal 1.0 and found it buggy? Hard to believe since, I've used it over the years and found it the most stable aside from XBMC (from which MediaPortal is based). GB-PVR works well particularly for systems with tuners installed.

But in the end, if you didn't like MediaPortal, XBMC is your next best option.
Media Portal was too buggy for me as well...gonna try XBMC live cd/

wojtek

Post by wojtek » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks for all replies. Looks that after all XBMC is a winner. MythTV is nono ATM - I don't have time to configure it properly.

Thanks for help.