I.O.U.S.A - Now available as free 30-minute edition

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:02 pm

Mats wrote:Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it. − George Bernard Shaw
Doesn't that sound more like nationalism? Oh wait, I've seen how people act at parades. Never mind.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:06 pm

aristide1 wrote: Do I really need to continue?
its the karma thats the real bitch.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:34 pm

Cause of the karma:

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:01 pm

I'm still scratching my head here. Defense spending has nothing to do with this - the real problem is that given current trends, it is Social Security, medicare/medicade, and paying interest on the debt which will dwarf everything else before my generation even gets to pull our first S.S. check at all. Defense spending is not going to spiral out of control, especially with the way it's cut way back every other decade. It's the other 3 I mentioned which are doing nothing but growing, not falling, and which are listed as guaranteed entitlements, not discretionary spending. You could cut defense to zero spending and just let people buy M1 Garand rifles on their own for the national defense and it STILL wouldn't change the fact the country is on track to go bankrupt within our lifetimes.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:14 am

You need to note military spending trends under W. Cutbacks? Try half a trillion to Halliburton alone. Got no bid contracts? Fraud and abuse that rivals, if not surpasses, social programs.

And nobody had answered if the current techniques have reduced terrorists, or are their numbers replenished at an even greater rate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V510t0ec ... re=related

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:41 am

Can someone say "Yes, this is what it means to be conservative?"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/feb/08/usa.iraq1

It may not be conservative, but it sure looks republican.

AZBrandon
Friend of SPCR

Post by AZBrandon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:59 am

Still scratching my head! How does looking at the past and complaining about a congress and president who are no longer in power fix a problem that's scheduled to hit us in about 30 years? Military spending is being changed even now, and can always easily be changed. Social Security, medicare, medicaid, interest payments on the debt: those are all things that have to be fixed BEFORE they get expensive. Having America go bankrupt affects everyone since we're all on the same boat. It's not like the Democrat end of the Titanic kept on sailing while the Republican end went underwater. A sinking ship drowns all men equally.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Well the point of my prior post is their is no insignificance to the military or its spending. And there never will be. What kind of financial shape was the US in around 1946? Take a guess.

What makes you think that just because there are massive future losses on paper they will actually materialize? When push comes to shove there simply won't be payouts. It's already floating around you'll probably only see 78% of what you're suppose to get from SS. Every year Medicare increases costs and decreases coverage.

The point of all the fear mongering is to get everyone acclimated to the idea of being screwed. This is not done in your best interest but in the politicians, so they when it happens (the screwing) it will be spun as leadership, even though it will really late, and they don't want to lose their jobs, even though they will get full pay for life.

And it's not much different than all the bailouts today, with some idiots in congress saying that if we don't have these bailouts the US will declare martial law. What kind of responsible person makes such claims? Oh I'm sorry, I confused politicians with responsible people.

You want them to handle SS and Medicare? Well the best way to do that is to demand they stop being treated like royalty. If congressmen got their retirement and health coverage from SS and Medicare you damn well know they would be in good shape. See people think that we live in a "We The People" country, but the masses will go without, while the polticians will continue to have it easy. At least when a king or queen behaves that way it's only one family.