Hell just froze over -MS to allow 'removal' of IE.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Hell just froze over -MS to allow 'removal' of IE.

Post by xan_user » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:23 am

Microsoft Corp. has announced the next version of its Windows operating system will include a control panel that allows users to turn off Internet Explorer (IE) 8 and other key Microsoft programs.

The new feature is a significant move for the world's largest software company, which has been accused by rivals and regulators of forcing consumers to use its software and stifling competition.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology ... ch_off_ie/

They need to let us opt out of that crap on install, and have an windows install option for "OS only".
Last edited by xan_user on Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:14 am

That article is a bit misleading, and incomplete.
AeroXperience wrote:For now, this only seems to wipe the actual executable running Internet Explorer 8 (iexplore.exe), but given that many of the most vocal proponents of choice were just looking for an option to functionally remove IE8, this might've been the only way to do it without killing the rest of Windows. In addition, this actually takes two reboots and a configuration step to complete, so there's definitely something going on behind the scenes (likely a remapping of where IE-related functions can be found for other elements in Windows so that Windows doesn't complain about IE's nonexistence).
They will allow removal of IE, yes, IE 8, but not entirely... the core components will remain. And I don't know what "key" Microsoft programs they are referring to. We will be able to remove some features and applications, yes, but not "key" programs, or their definition of "key" is way off because to me, "key" programs are core programs needed by the OS to work. Or do people want unstable OS giving out errors left and right?

Blue_Sky

Post by Blue_Sky » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:57 am

This article shows a partial list of things that can be turned off.Clearly Microsoft won't actually uninstall these things, else they would be setting themselves up for large amounts of users who mess around and then whine when they have to reinstall. Personally, it is good enough for me. If the OS doesn't think it exists when uninstalled and all of the shortcuts are gone, I'll happily give up a bit of hard drive space.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:58 pm

It's nice to know.

Here is how to disable WMP, you can do exactly the same thing with IE right now (although you will have more trouble weith Vista if your not logged in as "THE Administrator".

viewtopic.php?t=49193&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Andy[/quote]

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:22 pm

ALLOW? ALLOW? ALLOW? ALLOW?

Redzo

Post by Redzo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:00 pm

aristide1 wrote:ALLOW? ALLOW? ALLOW? ALLOW?
What ? Take 2 steps away from computer and go get sober instead..

derekva

Post by derekva » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:10 pm

The decision, rather than to appease Windows users, has been added to keep Microsoft off the radar of U.S. antitrust regulators and European regulators who grew increasingly frustrated with the way Microsoft bundles its programs directly into the OS. Microsoft eventually was forced to remove its media player for certain versions of the OS sold in EU, with the company hoping its check-box will eliminate any future legal issues.
I wonder what the EU is going to 'discover' next in order to fine Microsoft? They're running out of violations.

-D

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:05 pm

derekva wrote:I wonder what the EU is going to 'discover' next in order to fine Microsoft? They're running out of violations.

-D
Possibly they will, but MS are running out of things to screw end-users with. Forcing people to buy Vista, instead of XP is one thing that I really hope that that MS get fined for. This is rather unlikely as MS can do what it wants with the software it sells.

But anyway, its great news that MS wont be forcing shit software onto people, like they have done for years.

Andy

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:05 pm

Hell freezing over? ::checks Cubs' season schedule:: I'll know in October...

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:57 pm

tehfire wrote:Hell freezing over? ::checks Cubs' season schedule:: I'll know in October...
Finland won ESC three years ago, that's when we knew it for a fact!

Cheers
Olle

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:40 am

Well, if we believe Dante's Inferno, Hell is actually Frozen place and hot pit of sulphur and flames... But back to the topic: I heard that even its possible, the design is made so that if you disable IE, the resources are devided on other systems and can actually slow down on computer.

Its nice to have option but knowing M$ they usually make it so that its not really viable option or hardly a worth of problem... But they Obey the Law and fill the requirements.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:21 am

My method does nothing at all to system performance.

Andy