Bye bye SPCR community.

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Matija

Post by Matija » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:43 pm

Ah, I remember when I was as young as him... The Drama!

mathias

Post by mathias » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:16 pm

Mmmmm, drama.

You know, for a while I've been getting an overwhelming feeling that among linux users and the like, there's these very strong anal retentive tendencies, almost to the point that there's something like such a disorder at the community level.

But that's a really touchy issue, and a potential can of worms.

Oh, and on the topic of leaving the board, heh, I did that too, for certain reasons, but I'm here again.

Though it just so happens that I had permanently left another board because the board, and one member in particular, turned against me, but it wasn't one that was as unique or one where I had been around for long.
LodeHacker wrote:Talking about the death of fidelity, need I mention loudness war in more detail?
I thought that ended with downloadable music and replaygain and the like.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:09 pm

Last edited by Shamgar on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

josephclemente

Re: Bye bye SPCR community.

Post by josephclemente » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:15 pm

LodeHacker wrote:Ok, I'm out of here for reasons solely personal.
I'd rather see you stay.

This is just the off-topic forum and I've learned not to expect much from it. I sometimes click on it from time to time but I just get disappointed when I learn my favorite SPCR members from the on-topic forums can be very disturbing characters in the off-topic forum.

Darth Santa Fe

Post by Darth Santa Fe » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:33 pm

Wow, this sure took a turn for the worse. Come back soon LH!

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:54 pm

Printed text lacks inflection. Emoticons were invented to fill that gap. The other option is to get very wordy. When something is read in the wrong context or magnitude it's often because assumptions were made by both poster and reader. Additional compensation is necessary, that's all there is to it.

Monitors are 72DPI, pics by nature are adjusted to display well on monitors. For most people hi-res pc pics are the ones that have no obvious flaws. We all already know this, don't we?

The original editor of Stereophile said it best decades ago. The quality of the recording is inversely proportional to the performance. Sadly that means the stuff you love the most was recorded in the worst possible way. The loudness war topic speaks for itself.

Audiophiles are a frustrated bunch. Audiophiles would like to have more good music of better quality. Not striving to be better is one of life's bigger mistakes. Audio equipment is like a chain, strong as it's weakest link. So when somebody buys a top of the line HT Omega sound card and doesn't hear any difference, they are most likely totally correct about what they hear, but not about what the card is capable of. On NewEgg reviews you would think idiots would get the hint that maybe something else is a problem when the last 999 reviews said this product is wonderful but they thought it was junk. No, they can't be wrong, hell they heard it themselves, it must be true. Thankfully these people aren't performing brain surgery on me today.

Nothing will make any significant difference to the powered speakers that came wih the PC. I used to run my sound card into a Pioneer receiver (barely over $100) and into a pair of NHT Super Zeros. People asked "Why does it sound like that?" They couldn't understand what I did, but the biggest difference was the speaker. "Pick up the speaker" I said. They weigh what? 6 - 8 pounds? Why? I told them when the cone moves to make sound the rest of the speaker is suppose to remain still. Most PC speakers vibrate from head to toe. Want to improve them? Put a damn weight on them, get them to hold still. And that's just a start.

And that argument I can't hear the difference? That's not true. Somebody said that me years ago. I did a brief display. "You mean to tell me if I stand here and talk to you, you can't tell the difference if I walk over there?" "Yeah I can hear that." We're at small offices at work with doors. "Does my voice sound EXACTLY the same if I talk to you standing in the office or in the hall?" "No" "Does my voice sound EXACTLY the same inside the building as outside?" "No" "Oh, so you can hear subtle differences?" "Sure, I just don't care about all that stuff." "Ah, that's perfectly acceptable, but it's way different than saying "I can't hear the difference.""

Chances are high if you can't hear the difference the reason is you haven't heard properly recorded material on a system that makes some attempt at preserving the music. If you don't know why I chose those exact words you need not read any further.

And guess what? By interfering with music far less (adding less - as LodeHacker put it - crap) the equipment becomes more revealing. When the rest of system is really bad you can actually make things worse. You buying real audio equipment is your way of saying "I want the truth!" What you find out under the wrong conditions is "YOU CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

As I said earlier recording quality varies greatly, with jazz having the highest routine quality, and even classical recordings being mixed into a compressed convoluted ear piercing mess. If all your commercial recordings sound great I suggest you stay right where you are, because the homogenization process is working well for you. But I go out of my way for superb recordings of similar performances, and living with average equipment is akin to listening to music with cotton in your ears, or in the 21st century frame, with road noise, wind noise, and street noise as backgrounds.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:43 am

I think you should stay, but I note you were already looking for another place to go.

Good luck no matter what you decide.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:19 am

Hi,

I'm sorry to see you go, LH and I hope you post again soon.

I really appreciate your idea to start the The Official Anti-Spam Thread. It is working very well, I think.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:20 am

Last edited by Shamgar on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:40 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:I really appreciate your idea to start the The Official Anti-Spam Thread. It is working very well, I think.
Yes and I appreciate the intent and effort.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:06 am

What a drama queen. Someone needs to be slapped with an ASBO (Attention Seeking Behaviour Order).

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:30 pm

aristide1 wrote:The original editor of Stereophile said it best decades ago. The quality of the recording is inversely proportional to the performance. Sadly that means the stuff you love the most was recorded in the worst possible way.
I assume that was his personal opinion and he wasn't able to back it up with (objective) facts?
Maybe it was before there was 96 kHz/24 bit music available, or maybe all of the artists available on DVD-A and the like aren't to his taste.

aristide1 wrote:Audiophiles are a frustrated bunch. Audiophiles would like to have more good music of better quality.
What is "good music"? Is it a universal thing?

aristide1 wrote:If all your commercial recordings sound great I suggest you stay right where you are, because the homogenization process is working well for you. But I go out of my way for superb recordings of similar performances, and living with average equipment is akin to listening to music with cotton in your ears, or in the 21st century frame, with road noise, wind noise, and street noise as backgrounds.
Indeed. And I bet, people actually enjoying music they like, on their tin can piece of crap are actually better off than people who are trying to pin-point that high hat in the background, and then deciding to buy even better and more expensive equipment that will rectify that error. Instead of just enjoying it.

What is more important? Listening to the music you like (if you are particular about what artist you like, you even have little choice on what quality it is presented in), or listening to "some" music which was recorded meticulously on a high end system?

My commercial recordings sound great and I enjoy them enormously. And if I'm interpreting your post correctly, I even saved a few bucks in the process.
I don't think of myself as an audiophile (obviously) but I do care about the music I like, and my setup is not run of the mill at all. Actually, I find the amount of "mini sets" alarming, because it pushes the component setups away.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Well,

I understand the feelings LodeHacker might've fired up in people, I have long since learned not to take just about anything I read on the internet that seriously. And to certainly think before I post, read what I have just written, and probably 75% of my posts end up getting deleted after being written, and before clicking Submit.

LH was always willing to help in the on topic forums, though he certainly went for outright recommendations, more so than I perhaps do anymore. Preferring to help with more questions that might help someone figure out what they want on their own.

I'm not sure how old he is, but figured he was a bit younger and little bit more volatile than us old folks on here.

LH, good luck in what you do, and maybe we'll see you back sometime.

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Jeez, my health problems flare up and keep me away for a few days and all this happens.

What happened? How bad was it? What, if anything, was deleted. From what is available on this topic today, Sunday 7/5, at about 8:00pm EDT, it does not seem all that bad. Especially for a thread about audio - we all know how they can get.

While the exchange between LodeHacker and qviri on 7/1 and 7/2 may have gotten a little heated, the most objectionable thing I can find are the moderator's snarky and cowardly comments appended to LH's edited original post in this thread. The mod did not have the class to refrain from a snotty and condescending personal crack, nor the courage to put his name on his post. Don't moderators, and other authority figures, have the responsibility to behave in a calm, even handed and professional manner?

Greg F.

Post by Greg F. » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:41 pm

Shamgar wrote:There's no point in discussing the original topic here anymore. If people want to talk about their audio hobby, it's best to start another thread if you feel compelled.

But, for what it's worth... discussions between "audiophiles" and those who couldn't care less is always going to be troublesome -- often pointless. I am not an audiophile (whatever that means), but I am not an average listener either. Personally, I don't care if one spends the whole world's fortune on "better equipment" to obtain a "better sound": there is no such thing as audio perfection reproduced by clumsy and imperfect manmade machines. But it's a good excuse for an expensive hobby.

Anyway, I think this topic should end. It is my belief that this forum is here to encourage rather than discourage, and it's topics like these that serve to bring the latter.
I have been what you would call a Hifi enthusiast for about 35 years. I learned a long time ago to not proselytize it to people. When people come to my house I turn off the hifi. I have several good systems. None of them cost an exorbitant amount of money. I build my own SET amps, etc. I don't advocate one method or system to anyone. The whole subject is just too contentious. So I agree, I just don't think it should have been brought up in the first place. Just listen to the music and let others devise their own path.

Fred

Post by Fred » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:53 pm

All the interwebz drama is killing me.

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:06 pm

N7SC wrote:the most objectionable thing I can find are the moderator's snarky and cowardly comments appended to LH's edited original post in this thread.
I was wondering what was up with that. It didn't seem to fit what I'd expect to see in these forums.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:07 am

josephclemente wrote:
N7SC wrote:the most objectionable thing I can find are the moderator's snarky and cowardly comments appended to LH's edited original post in this thread.
I was wondering what was up with that. It didn't seem to fit what I'd expect to see in these forums.
+1 me too - certainly doesn't sound like Neil.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:26 am

N7SC wrote:What happened? How bad was it? What, if anything, was deleted.
Nothing was deleted.
N7SC wrote:the most objectionable thing I can find are the moderator's snarky and cowardly comments appended to LH's edited original post in this thread. The mod did not have the class to refrain from a snotty and condescending personal crack, nor the courage to put his name on his post. Don't moderators, and other authority figures, have the responsibility to behave in a calm, even handed and professional manner?
Who said it was a mod? Who is to say he didn't do it himself? I mean, I'm just saying. So much drama over nothing... one has to wonder.

N7SC
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:16 am

rpsgc wrote:Who said it was a mod? Who is to say he didn't do it himself? I mean, I'm just saying. So much drama over nothing... one has to wonder.
A moderator locked another thread that LodeHacker had edited, and left the same kind of snarky comments. Only a moderator could have locked the thread. Thus, it probably was not LodeHacker who did it, but a moderator.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:31 am

I've just pulled the references to the inappropriate moderator comments from this thread. Not sure which of the mods made the comments, but... mistakes are sometimes made. My apologies. IMO, this is about the first mistake I've seen by SPCR mods in >7 years, so I'd say that it's a pretty good record so far.

Anyway, carry on.
Last edited by MikeC on Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

N7SC

Post by N7SC » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:51 am

MikeC wrote:I've just pulled the references to the inappropriate moderator comments from this thread. Not sure which of the mods made the comments, but... mistakes are sometimes made. My apologies. IMO, this is about the first mistake I've seen by SPCR mods in >7 years, so I'd say that it's a pretty good record so far.

Anyway, carry on.
Thanks Mike. Agreed, SPCR is one of the most (if not THE most) civil forums I've ever found. Thank you for upholding the civility here.

Now, as for "carry[ing] on:" Since you are an engineer, right, please see the new "Kitchen Appliances" thread I will start soon. Will explain there why I started a new thread that goes beyond my other thread about Bosch appliances. Your opinions, if you have any, coming from an engineer would be highly appreciated. As would anyone elses, of course. End of shamless plug for another thread.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:39 pm

spookmineer wrote:
aristide1 wrote:The original editor of Stereophile said it best decades ago. The quality of the recording is inversely proportional to the performance. Sadly that means the stuff you love the most was recorded in the worst possible way.
I assume that was his personal opinion and he wasn't able to back it up with (objective) facts?
Maybe it was before there was 96 kHz/24 bit music available, or maybe all of the artists available on DVD-A and the like aren't to his taste.
Those remarks may go back as far as the 60's, way before digital.

In the dinosaur days of vinyl, especially the early years, you needed to gauge your audience to create a master tape. Young people may have liked a lot of bass, but most cartridges would not have tracked such a disc well, so deep bass was often rolled off. The linear speed of the inner grooves is much slower than the outer grooves, so typically bass is rolled off whatever track gets assigned there. Again, jazz is typically the exception.

And the mixer's philosophy was always the same. God that was an awful performance, we'll clean it up in the mix. That's how the everyday stuff was made, and it's still a technique used today.
spookmineer wrote:
aristide1 wrote:Audiophiles are a frustrated bunch. Audiophiles would like to have more good music of better quality.
What is "good music"? Is it a universal thing?
They actually want high quality whatever they listen to. That includes everything, even types never known for dynamics, or depth, or any other routinely missing attribute. Motown in the 60's did half-speed mastering, which became an audiophile technique like 20 years later, and Motown did it for their everyday recordings.

The irony of an audiophile recording is that it's not all fussed up and expensive. It simply requires a hands off approach. You want great sound? Put a good stereo mic in front of a band and hook it straight up the a digital tape deck. Make sure it doesn't clip and you're pretty much done.
spookmineer wrote:
aristide1 wrote:If all your commercial recordings sound great I suggest you stay right where you are, because the homogenization process is working well for you. But I go out of my way for superb recordings of similar performances, and living with average equipment is akin to listening to music with cotton in your ears, or in the 21st century frame, with road noise, wind noise, and street noise as backgrounds.
Indeed. And I bet, people actually enjoying music they like, on their tin can piece of crap are actually better off than people who are trying to pin-point that high hat in the background, and then deciding to buy even better and more expensive equipment that will rectify that error. Instead of just enjoying it.
One can spend 20 years enjoying Hershey's, does that mean they won't enjoy better chocolates more?

This is why crappy recordings are so frustrating. It is possible to get both, you can have your cake and eat it too. Except for their first album every Dire Straights album is a sonic thrill ride, the king of rollercoasters. Steely Dan, Supertramp, plenty of everyday albums that kick arse in so many ways. Why lose all this to an idiot at the mixer?
spookmineer wrote:What is more important? Listening to the music you like (if you are particular about what artist you like, you even have little choice on what quality it is presented in), or listening to "some" music which was recorded meticulously on a high end system?
Oh there are albums strictly for showing off and status, but you can't listen to them over and over. Another dazzling digital recording is the score from Gladiator. And this is strictly digital, which simply proves it's got more to do with who's at the steering wheel than the format itself. I'd listen to Gladiator even if it was lousy, but this is better. But I also own a couple of really poorly mixed recordings and frankly "Doll Revolution" is recorded so bad it even sounds inferior in my car, with the original factory setup. (I don't put fancy stuff in the car.)
spookmineer wrote:My commercial recordings sound great and I enjoy them enormously. And if I'm interpreting your post correctly, I even saved a few bucks in the process.
Ah, but the really cool payoff is when you buy a piece of gear that's better, and all of a sudden 50% of your recordings also sound that much better. You literally have to replay them to discover them again for the first time.
spookmineer wrote:I don't think of myself as an audiophile (obviously) but I do care about the music I like, and my setup is not run of the mill at all. Actually, I find the amount of "mini sets" alarming, because it pushes the component setups away.
Yes they do, all the pity. Actually you're kind of making my point here for me, you've so much as said the run of the mill stuff can be improved upon, which is also my point.

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:59 pm

I don't want to turn this into a "peeing" contest, and after your post I think we're more on the same line than I initially thought...
aristide1 wrote:
spookmineer wrote:
Those remarks may go back as far as the 60's, way before digital.
Maybe, apart from end mixers "mixing" it up in the end, the product nowadays is better and the original editor isn't feeling the same way (I certainly hope so, I'd hate to buy all my CD's on a better medium again).

aristide1 wrote:The irony of an audiophile recording is that it's not all fussed up and expensive. It simply requires a hands off approach. You want great sound? Put a good stereo mic in front of a band and hook it straight up the a digital tape deck. Make sure it doesn't clip and you're pretty much done.
If great quality were this simple, I'm sure they would have done so in every single top 40 hit... Cut the cost and get high quality...

aristide1 wrote:
spookmineer wrote:
One can spend 20 years enjoying Hershey's, does that mean they won't enjoy better chocolates more?

This is why crappy recordings are so frustrating. It is possible to get both, you can have your cake and eat it too. Except for their first album every Dire Straights album is a sonic thrill ride, the king of rollercoasters. Steely Dan, Supertramp, plenty of everyday albums that kick arse in so many ways. Why lose all this to an idiot at the mixer?
If that is the issue, wouldn't it pay off more to organise "audiophiles" (and pretty much anyone who wants better quality in sound - don't we all?) and lobby the music industry, instead of solving it individually by purchasing more expensive equipment...? That's just symptom reduction and not curing the disease.

aristide1 wrote:
spookmineer wrote:My commercial recordings sound great and I enjoy them enormously. And if I'm interpreting your post correctly, I even saved a few bucks in the process.
Ah, but the really cool payoff is when you buy a piece of gear that's better, and all of a sudden 50% of your recordings also sound that much better. You literally have to replay them to discover them again for the first time.
Yeah! I first noticed this when I ditched my plywood speakers and listened music with an AKG headphone, a long time ago.
Again, I do appreciate music at good (or even better) quality, but to me, audiophiles are the people who spend as much on interlinks as I do on an amp, to me that's just crazy. Get a good setup and then just enjoy the music, don't overanalyse it or you'll kill the experience.

To come back to "good music" and better quality... For example, I like Joni Mitchell very much, but the choices in quality of her albums are limited (I haven't really checked, but CD seems to be the best).
I won't choose not to listen to her music, even if I think it's lousy quality.
I just want to listen to her music, so my options are limited.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:33 pm

It never occurred to me as a pee contest, just a difference of opinion.

There's every reason for CDs not to suffer the limitations and problems of vinyl, but the loudness war is getting way out of hand. Too many don't know or don't care or both.

Recording companies charge big money to rent their recording studios. It's hard to justify the cost with just a tape deck and a mic. And you need all this equipment for the loudness war.

Audiophiles are too few in number to make any dent among the giants. Ironically enough people are spending megabucks for BluRay and huge screens, all this for movies I may watch a couple of times. A CD or LP I can listen to hundreds of times. I can count on 1 hand all the movies I've seen more than 4 times, and some of them only to listen to the music anyway.

Everything about high end equipment is more money for several reasons:

1. Small quantities, no economy of scale.

2. Typically made with parts Sony or Panasonic would never consider using internally, though they would consider the same excessive and useless cosmetics if they could charge as much. Resistors that cost several dollars each. Even those that use more commercial items like op-amps may pay $25 or more for a single high quality op-amp. Op-amps can be had for about one dollar. Guess where they end up?

3. Unfortunately cosmetics. Who buys a Ferrari at that price if it looks like a Ford Focus? No offense to the Focus, but you get the point.

4. After the design the thing is voiced. This is normally done with high end musical instruments, not audio equipment. Commercial gear is built to a specific price point and sold. It's not uncommon for the company to not know what the thing sounds like. Seriously.

5. A very high level of service is expected. Try getting anything electronic fixed today. A total replacement is likely, you can't do that with a small manufacturer and expensive stuff. And a sale doesn't happen in 3 minutes. Auditions can take hours.

That said interconnects can make or break any system. I dislike them for this reason, there are already too many variables in play. And the machines used to wind the wire, in such a way as to have less RF interference, that stuff is big bucks. People in large cities tend to buy fully shielded interconnects and even shielded power cables. People think of power as 60Hz AC (50Hz in Europe) but the truth is there are more different frequencies riding the power cable than the speaker cables. AC, especially in large cities, is pretty bad. (Interconnect companies also have the highest number of snake oil products, because you never see what's inside.)

I don't listen to Joni Mitchell that much so I can't say for her early work. Her more recent stuff is very well respected in audio communities, and several of her CDs are used to demo equipment. While many think of audiophiles as gone crazy on the high end or with the bass, frankly my thoughts are if you can't get the female voice correct everything else is a waste of time. Which Joni do you like the best?

You should try Patricia Barber.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:42 pm

N7SC wrote:Thanks Mike. Agreed, SPCR is one of the most (if not THE most) civil forums I've ever found. Thank you for upholding the civility here.
Oh come on, that's an exaggeration. Why would it be like that? Sure, it's very considerate and members tend to exercise a lot of self control, but that isn't everything that determines the end result.

There's a lot of strong opinions here, a certain set of demographic groups, not really any pressure to fall in line ideologywise, and possibly also a major tendency to research stuff in depth, and so on. Sure, these things aren't bad, but they do tend to make it tricky for everyone to keep their cool.
aristide1 wrote:"Pick up the speaker" I said. They weigh what? 6 - 8 pounds? Why? I told them when the cone moves to make sound the rest of the speaker is suppose to remain still.
What if you were to just put something heavy on them instead of in them?

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm

aristide1 wrote:It never occurred to me as a pee contest, just a difference of opinion.
I'm glad :wink:

aristide1 wrote:Everything about high end equipment is more money for several reasons:
True, but at some point (for me) the extra expenses don't cover the quality gained. Many renowned speaker manufacturers have a signature/reference line, for up to tens of thousands of dollars, and obviously these don't sound "10 times" better than a good solid pair of speakers.

aristide1 wrote:That said interconnects can make or break any system.
Using simple electrical cable will do harm, but will using a top of the line brand A sound really that different than top of the line brand B? I read some stuff about this in the past, but to me it sounded a bit weird, maybe I should read up on it.
Indeed, if even cables have so much effect to some (or maybe even to all) how are we to accomplish that set we are looking for...? Frustrating...

aristide1 wrote:I don't listen to Joni Mitchell that much so I can't say for her early work. Her more recent stuff is very well respected in audio communities, and several of her CDs are used to demo equipment.

Which Joni do you like the best?

You should try Patricia Barber.
Actually I don't like her later work as much, it's too jazzy for me, a bit too cold when compared to her early work.

I only listen to 5 of her first 6 albums: Joni Mitchell, Ladies of the canyon, Blue, For the roses, Court and spark. I don't have "Clouds". All of these are gems.

Patricia Barber's voice sounds similar to Joni's but it's jazz. Perhaps Joni's early work sounds too flower powery to you :?

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:32 pm

Aww man, I spend quite a bit of time responding, then I hit submit and it asked me to logon. When I did everything I wrote disappeard. :(

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:31 pm

aristide1 wrote:Aww man, I spend quite a bit of time responding, then I hit submit and it asked me to logon. When I did everything I wrote disappeard. :(
When you compose a lengthy enough reply, copy it to the clipboard or paste it into a .txt file on the desktop. That way, if you ever get logged off, disconnected or have to reboot, you can easily recompose it later.

I once composed a lengthy reply and had to reboot as the computer froze. I have an excellent memory and could have wrote it back almost word for word, but thanks to Firefox, the previous session was restored as well as my reply composition! Thank you Firefox -- still the best browser around.

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:05 pm

aristide1 wrote:Audiophiles are too few in number to make any dent among the giants. Ironically enough people are spending megabucks for BluRay and huge screens, all this for movies I may watch a couple of times.
it's sad that if you compare the nearly 30 years that CD audio has been around, you'll also note that in that span of time, video has gone through at least 3 major advances in technology and medium. and where has audio gotten? nowhere... CD audio has been the dominant medium for at least 20 years and now is giving way to sub-par mp3 files as the dominant format. a few step backwards?

it seems humans are mostly visual creatures, and nobody really gives a hoot about music or audio.