Repairing XP install

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

regal196

Repairing XP install

Post by regal196 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:17 pm

I am attempting to repair my OS. When I boot, my computer posts normally. Then tells me that my computer was powered down abruptly and asks how I want to proceed: safe, safe w/ networking, safe w/ command prompt, last known configuration or normal.

If I choose any of the first three choices, the computer list a bunch of .dll and other file and reboots itself.

If I choose any of the last two, the computer starts to load xp and all of the sudden flashes a blue screen for a split second and reboots itself.

I am trying to repair Windows with my install CD, but it is not giving me the option to repair. Also it has two partitions I do not recognize (pictured below).

I do not want to do a clean install, due to the fact I have unbackupped files.

I have uninstalled all unnecessary components to see if they were/are the cause, but this has been to no success.

Any help would be most appreciated!

psiu

Post by psiu » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:06 am

Here's some steps you could try to get the repair option to come up:

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairi ... m#warning2

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:39 am

Hi,

There is a second time later in the process when you can repair things -- it really over-installs, but you get to keep your programs. At the point your screen image shows, you need to select the partition where WinXP is already installed, and it then searches for a previous version, and if it offers to install over it, you can do this. You'll have to run all the updates, etc. -- but all your programs and data will remain intact.

If you have to format the drive -- DO NOT do this, then back out and you'll have to try something else.

[Edit: here's the page from the excellent Michael Stevens page -- his description is much better than mine: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrep ... all.htm#RI ]
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

robokopp

Post by robokopp » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:47 am

I suggest getting the latest copy (free) of MEMTEST via download and trying that. The current version has an ISO that, when burnt to a CD, is a self-booting diagnostic.

I had the same symptoms as you describe, on a new system build about 3 weeks ago, and there was one stick of RAM that caused problem.

Whilst in your case the fault may be different, it never hurts to try a MEMTEST pass, even if only to eliminate the RAM as a possible cause of your troubles.

Regards,

RK

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:11 am

Seems to me that partition table, MBR (master boot record) or at least file system is corrupted. It could be just some missing or corrupted driver, but drivers do not become corrupted without reason - usually bad RAM or bad sectors on HDD are underlying problem.

I would attach such HDD to another (working) computer as second drive, take ownership of user folders (if needed), copy all important files over, kill all partitions and start with clean install (do not forget testing with memtest86+ of course!). If another computer doesn't recognize file system or many files seem to be missing, you may need to use some data recovery software.

It could be possible restore this installation, but that needs some digging in disk structure or file system, what often takes more time than setting up new system. Even if you could find solution easily, you can't be sure that all problems with windows system files are fixed.

What happened before? Did you shut computer down inadvertently? Did you install some drivers or software? Did you have some other problems with computer?

regal196

Post by regal196 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 am

@NeilBlanchard: I did go to the second time to repair, but I got the screen that was posted in the picture, it did not have the option to repairing.

If put the drive in an external enclosure, would I be able to pull files off the drive that way?

It would be easier for me to just do a clean install on a new HD, this is a good reason to up grade to a 2.5 inch HD. :)

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:10 am

regal196 wrote: If put the drive in an external enclosure, would I be able to pull files off the drive that way?
yes. so long as the drive is not damaged.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:40 am

OH it might not be anything besides your user files corrupted. even if you are like me and turn all that switching crap off and never put anymore than one name as admin in your xp. There is an autoboot corruptionthingie I found online.

ccleaner killed a file and then it was toast. Happened on two computers within 2-3 days, was ccleaner which fixed its problem silently on an update...

I just install xp over/on top of itself. People told me how poorly this works. It only doesnt work well for old raid setups I noticed. otherwise it is decent and doesnt slow a thing down like some said it would.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:46 am

My first attempt at repair would be to run a Disk Check using the Ultimate Boot Disk For Windows.

regal196

Post by regal196 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:01 am

I ended up that I had a bad stick of RAM. Took all sticks except one out and windows booted up just fine. I just got to figure out which stick is bad, I take it that I can boot up and run memtest to figure it out.

Still bought a new hard drive... maybe it is time for a whole new computer...

Thank you for all your help!

psiu

Post by psiu » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:13 am

actually, as far memtest goes, get memtest86+ and burn it to cd or floppy and boot from it, it tests pretty much all the memory that way, if it was running in Windows, well most of the memory is already in use.

good luck and glad you got it part way sorted out. Now backup those files!

lm
Friend of SPCR

Re: Repairing XP install

Post by lm » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:33 am

regal196 wrote: If I choose any of the first three choices, the computer list a bunch of .dll and other file and reboots itself.

If I choose any of the last two, the computer starts to load xp and all of the sudden flashes a blue screen for a split second and reboots itself.
I have uninstalled all unnecessary components to see if they were/are the cause, but this has been to no success.
How do you uninstall stuff when you can't boot into the system at all?

Btw the 2 partitions there are basically your primary partition that spans 99.99% of your drive and then a tiny left over piece of unpartitioned space that you have because the partition sizes are multiples of some constant and thus a tiny amount of space on the drive was "wasted" but is visible in that list.

regal196

Post by regal196 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:29 pm

How do you uninstall stuff when you can't boot into the system at all?
I physically remove the pci cards and all usb peripherals.[/quote]