Putting Size in Perspective

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Putting Size in Perspective

Post by aristide1 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:10 pm

Very impressive:

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/ ... lls/scale/

After displaying the picture move the slider to the right.

Something to consider - current cpu technology is 45nm. The scale will show you just how small that is.

Enjoy :!:

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Re: Putting Size in Perspective

Post by spookmineer » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:21 pm

aristide1 wrote:Something to consider - current cpu technology is 45nm.
Yay it's the Hepatitus era!

Somewhere on the other end of the spectrum (and then again, not by a long shot):
Largest star known to man

If you consider how empty our solar system really is, and that the outer planets are much further away from eachother than the inner planets, it's shocking to know this star reaches all the way to Saturn (6th planet).

Saturn is 9 AU away from the sun (1 Astronomical Unit is the distance from earth to the sun, 150 million kilometres or 93 million miles).

Light would travel more than 8 hours around this giant star, light travelling around our sun takes 14.5 seconds.

I have no idea why I wrote this.

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Re: Putting Size in Perspective

Post by mr. poopyhead » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:19 am

spookmineer wrote:
aristide1 wrote:Something to consider - current cpu technology is 45nm.
Yay it's the Hepatitus era!

Somewhere on the other end of the spectrum (and then again, not by a long shot):
Largest star known to man

If you consider how empty our solar system really is, and that the outer planets are much further away from eachother than the inner planets, it's shocking to know this star reaches all the way to Saturn (6th planet).

Saturn is 9 AU away from the sun (1 Astronomical Unit is the distance from earth to the sun, 150 million kilometres or 93 million miles).

Light would travel more than 8 hours around this giant star, light travelling around our sun takes 14.5 seconds.

I have no idea why I wrote this.
your post makes me feel awful small... makes me think of the galaxy song!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk