Who wants a deal? rant

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

theycallmebruce

Who wants a deal? rant

Post by theycallmebruce » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Does anybody else find those ads with people jumping around on the front page of SPCR at the moment as soul destroying as I do? Every time I see them a little part of me dies as I think about the indignity which people are willing to undergo to make a few bucks.

The worst part is it works. I can't help but watch them in fascinated horror, and I'm promoting them as we speak.

I have no doubt that whoever came up with those ads is getting paid the big dollars.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:40 pm

I'm with you there, yeah. Some of the worst ads I've ever had the misfortune to see.

wcrvieira

Post by wcrvieira » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:24 pm

I've got the answer for you guys: Firefox + AdBlock Plus. :lol:

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:08 am

And I suppose you donate to the site to make up for the lack of ad revenue? :roll:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:16 am

What ads............ The only ads I usually see are on billboards and buses.
And I suppose you donate to the site to make up for the lack of ad revenue?
In a way, yes. In reality I have not given SPCR money in lieu of lost advertising revenue, but because they deserve the money for excelent reviews that have led me to buy some excelent products.

Andy

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:09 am

What are ads? :lol:
mentawl wrote:And I suppose you donate to the site to make up for the lack of ad revenue? :roll:
Yes. By donation, and by supporting the vendors reviewed here.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Don't go to the home page just go straight to the forum index.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:43 pm

I was only referring to wcrvieira's comment, rather than to everyone in general, my apologies. While I haven't donated to the site myself, I don't use an ad blocker either.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:17 am

mentawl wrote:And I suppose you donate to the site to make up for the lack of ad revenue?
Over the years, a lot of us have contributed significant technical knowledge and experience that lends credibility to the site. It's not all about money. The forum is this site's greatest resource, and everything in it is provided freely by its members. It's also important to remember that the site owner gains considerable reputation from the site as well as other benefits.

Rather than paying for irritating ads, it is better for companies to submit relevant products for testing by SPCR. Readers can then purchase such products on the basis of published reviews. That's the best form of advertising to the discerning silent PC enthusiast.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:59 am

The site owner really has no say in what ads will show up, if you dont like a specific ad get a blocker. plus the ads are probably geared toward your cookies, so what one member sees may not be what the next one sees.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:38 am

Hi,
I've got the answer for you guys: Firefox + AdBlock Plus.
I cannot stand advertisements, and I avoid them whenever possibly. When I watch commercial TV, I find almost all the ads insulting, and/or degrading, and/or disgusting. And I'm sure that I'd have similar problems with Internet ads -- but I almost never see any of them...

And yes, I support this and other sites that I find valuable; materially and with my time.