Any old cartoons fans here?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

charlesedwin

Any old cartoons fans here?

Post by charlesedwin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Hello everyone,

I mean like Thundercats, Voltron, the OLD transformers, not the new ones. And shows like that. Some of the shows though like Voltron, were on before I was born. I'm a 90's girl of course, but I appreciate the classics. And no I don't think Sailor Moon counts.

So which old cartoons do you like? and do you wish they would show now or more often?

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:41 pm

I'm an Asian so Sailor Moon does count for me, except I don't really consider it particularly old school. :P

Hmm, aside from the two you mentioned, I watched Robotech, Voltes V, Daimos, Astro Boy, He-Man, She-Ra, G.I. Joe, TMNT, Super Mario, Legend of Zelda and countless others (read that as a lot of anime and sentai) in my youth. Pretty fun.

Does Batman: The Animated Series, Uncanny X-Men and Wild Cats count as old school, too? I enjoyed watching those, but I was slightly older by that time.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:44 am

Donald Duck, Coyote vs. Roadrunner and Huckleberry Hound for me.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:45 am

Sorry to disappoint, but none of those are old cartoons. -not by a long shot.

Anything post rocky and bulwinkle is new.

Big Pimp Daddy

Post by Big Pimp Daddy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:46 am

Thundercats at the top of the list obviously, He-Man, GI JOE, The Jetsons, King Arthur & the Knights of Justice, Ren & Stimpy, Prince Valiant, Bravestarr, Captain Planet, Doug, Ducktales, TMNT, Transformers, Smurfs, Pole Position, Voltron, M.A.S.K, Inspector Gadget, Spider-Man: The Animated Series, X-Men, Justice League, Batman: The Animated Series, Iron Man, Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds, Tintin, Asterix. I could go on, but it occurs to me that I have watched entirely too much TV...

I don't wish they were on TV more often, as I don't really watch TV anymore. I do however think they could make a fortune by making remastered versions of these cartoons available for digital download. Some of them are nigh on impossible to get hold of nowadays, and the rest are generally dodgy low quality VHS-rips.

sea2stars
Patron of SPCR

Post by sea2stars » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:55 pm

The Rocky and Bulwinkle show, Tom & Jerry, and anything Max Fleischer; his Superman 'toons are still a treat to watch.

During the early 80's I watched the usual suspects. What.. no mention of Tranzor Z? Although they did bastardize the Japanese version it was still fun watching breast (oppai) missiles.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:48 am

I am big fan of cartoons. I was born in 1983 so my foundest memories are from cartoons made 80's and early 90's:

One of the foundest memories I have from Albert Barillé'e earliest animation series':
Once Upon a Time... Man (1978)
Once Upon a Time... Space (1981)
Once Upon a Time... Life (1987)

Not that old but I was little kid these were awesome! And then all those nostalgic cartoons that glued me on TV every saturday and sunday mornings:

G.I. Joe
He-Man
Biker Mice from Mars
Original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
M.A.S.K.
Captain Planet
Ducktales
Gummi bears
Pinky and the Brain (Narf! )
Garfield and Friends
The Smurfs
Ghostbusters (one with the Gorilla )
Denise the Menace
Chip N' Dale: Rescue Rangers
Goof Troop
Bravestarr
Darkwing Duck

Around world with Willy Fog
Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs (though heavily modified from Japanese original )
Voltron's

Nick Knatterton

... that's about it... covers my childhood pretty much...

DanceMan

Post by DanceMan » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:47 pm

xan_user wrote:Sorry to disappoint, but none of those are old cartoons. -not by a long shot.

Anything post rocky and bulwinkle is new.
Amen.

Love the old Warner Bros. cartoons, old Max Fleischer. There's good new stuff -- Pinky & the Brain, Spongebob.