Does voting change things really to the better ?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Does voting change anything to the better ?

Yes, it does.
46%
Yes, it might do.
23%
No, it definately doesn't.
23%
No, after thinking it through, I don't believe it does.
8%
I'm not interested in politics.
No votes
I'm really not sure.
No votes

Total votes: 13

Cov

Does voting change things really to the better ?

Post by Cov » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:44 am

Hi, do you vote at elections ?

They usually say that if you don't, then the party you don't like to support would benefit.
I thought the same until I saw this little videoclip:

____________ â–º The truth about voting â—„ ____________

I'm sure the opinions about this subject are diverse, but listening to Stefan Molyneus (YouTube: stefbot), I cannot deny that his points make perfectly sense to me.

Please do take part in the poll, but only after watching this videoclip.

Thank you

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:29 am

I will watch Stefan later, but I know that voting does change things, even if it is something simple, mundane or seemingly pointless it still does change things.

what we all want to see though are more significant changes for the better, to improve our lives, which is why debating politics can be so much fun as everyone is a winner. I could vote for X and it would benefit me more than the other choices, whist you could vote for Y and be happy, while we both dislike the next guy who is happy voting for Z.
They usually say that if you don't, then the party you don't like to support would benefit.
I thought the same until I saw this little videoclip:
I would not put it like that at all, and the only way to test that theory would be to hols an election and let people vote freely (i.e. only 60% - 80% of people), then the next day force everone to vote and count the difference, which party are losing the most amount of potential votes.? I asked this very question a while ago.

My point is that the vast majority of people who dont vote fall into a few categories (more than one is allowed).

1,) They cant be bothered because they are lazy.
2,) They dont believe it will make a difference to the outcome of the election.
3,) They dont see that a party is worth voting for over any other because of various issues including 2they are all the same", "I like some of their ideas but not others", "I like their ideas, but they couldnt arrange a piss-up in a brewery - let alone run a country", etc.

Andy

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:06 pm

If voting could change the system it would be outlawed.
Canadian graffiti.
Last edited by aristide1 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qviri

Re: Does voting change things really to the better ?

Post by qviri » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Cov wrote:Please do take part in the poll, but only after watching this videoclip.
I much prefer a well-formulated written argument to a video of a man speaking encoded in a proprietary format hosted on a third-party commercial website. Do you have a transcript?

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:05 pm

yep, voting helps. see california's prop 215.

Cov

Re: Does voting change things really to the better ?

Post by Cov » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:28 am

qviri wrote:Do you have a transcript?
No, I haven't.

Anyway, he offers free downloads of some of his pdf- and audiobooks.

If you're interested, here are the DL links:

1. The tyranny of illusion

2. A rational proof of secular ethics

3. The logic of love

4. Everyday anarchy

5. Practical anarchy

6. How not to archive freedom

. How to archive freedom

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:00 am

A rather intense review by Stefan, but his alternative doesn't trully empower anyone. Rather it allows others to have more important votes, and yes it's a small change but it's there.

A good start would be to get off the 2 party treadmill that most are simply unwilling to do.

Also rearranging your finances to pay as little tax as possible. If one has retirement accounts and is unemployed one could possibly move money from a regular IRA to a ROTH, pay the taxes (what little they may be today), and then continue tax-free for the remainder of the days.

ROTH was invented so that they could get taxes now at the expense of later, typical short term thinking.

If one's income is zero or very low one can convert xxx funds into a ROTH up to the amount of the standard deduction. Ultimately little or no tax will be paid today or tomorrow. The other consideration is that if your savings are at an all time low now this is the best time to convert them to a ROTH, when the numbers are at their smallest.

The policy of the ROTH will probably not change in the future as some fear because the cows would bang their heads until they develop dain brammage, which would not look good for our caring and helpful government on the 6 o'clock news. 8)

While I voted in the poll I do not think it is fully accurate. Put the Ron Paul/Jesse Ventura party into power, see the results, and then decide if voting works or not. One shot at getting off the 2 party treadmill is all I'd ask.

Some have concerns about Stefan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan_Molyneux

colm

Post by colm » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:56 pm

A good start would be to get off the 2 party treadmill that most are simply unwilling to do.
That is also a sign of the self destruction. It is not exactly difficult to narrow down best answers for any subject. One colder than the other.
There is not a leader anywhere, because of ego that won with money, that money is as fake as the real leader.

This about america was predicted at the dawn of the stock markets.
Even a master "player" could get in.

it is simply happening. that is all...it is simply happening. :roll:

When I had temporary brain damage, I was determined not able to vote, and still new the right answer, this contrast in my life really bothered me..now that all is well, I do not vote. I rip both parties apart....

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:13 am

aristide1 wrote: A good start would be to get off the 2 party treadmill that most are simply unwilling to do.
I tend to agree with this, but it is interesting to note that many in countries with a multiparty system wish they could switch to our system . . . The grass is always greener, I suppose. It may be as George Washington supposed that the problem is in having political parties, not in how many parties. My own thought is that more choice is always better for the consumer (electorate) and sometimes even better for the vendor (politicians) as monopolists tend to stagnate and rot fairly quickly.

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:55 pm

George Carlin on voting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIraCchP ... re=related

Nailed - The public sucks.