iPad??? WTF, Are the Apple execs complete idiots?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR

Post by mr. poopyhead » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:26 pm

colin2 wrote:if you want a highly portable reader and surfing device, I could see getting it.
i would hardly consider the ipad to be highly portable.... highly portable = fits in my pocket... the ipad is definitely NOT portable in my eyes... at least for any man who doesn't carry a purse or man-bag.
colin2 wrote:I own zero Apple products, but every time I spend an hour sorting out a PC driver conflict I wonder whether the sucker in this game is me.
how true.. i've known many proud DIY'ers make the jump to apple once they had some disposable income... just for that very point you make above... i mean, messing around with drivers and stuff isn't particularly difficult... but at some stage of life, you just can't spare that hour any more.

personally, if i had any work to do that required a tablet type computer, i'd just spend the extra money and get a REAL tablet computer, with a proper processor and OS (ok, the last item is debatable, but this is just my two cents...)

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: iPad??? WTF, Are the Apple execs complete idiots?

Post by flyingsherpa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:47 am

For some reason this thread (from 2010!) popped into my head just now, so I'm necro-posting to bring it back on the radar for the lolz. It's hilarious how much vitriol people were posting here for a product that went on to become so wildly successful and iconic. I'm not a fanboy, but many of these comments are gold in hindsight :lol:

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:18 am

The iPad was successful but it didn't really replace the computer or the tablet PC for most sane people. It become a content consumption device, a toy, and specific use case product like for restaurant PoS systems or smart homes.

People here might look silly in hindsight but let's remember that probably none of them replaced their PC with an iPad, and how useless the first few generations of iPad were before the app store matured.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:41 am

cloneman wrote:The iPad was successful but it didn't really replace the computer or the tablet PC for most sane people.
I mean, it wasn't supposed to, so that seems a silly nit to pick.
It become a content consumption device, a toy, and specific use case product like for restaurant PoS systems or smart homes.
Which is what people need most of the time at home... ipads just took common use-cases of PCs and made them way smaller and easier to use. It's a new class of device: PC for serious work, phone for light ultra mobile use, tablet for in-between. I don't know anyone who got rid of their PC for an ipad, but I know a ton of people who got an ipad and end up using it way more than their PC. They can now sit on the couch and do the "casual PC" stuff there instead going to sit at the PC. But they still have the PC for more serious stuff. Both are good tools, with many overlapping uses. Kind of like a van and a scooter... both have uses, and when you need a van the scooter just won't do, but you can do a lot and have fun on a scooter, and it is often superior to fan for many missions.
People here might look silly in hindsight but let's remember that probably none of them replaced their PC with an iPad, and how useless the first few generations of iPad were before the app store matured.
You're thinking of the iphone, by the time the ipad came around the app store was mature. And again, Apple never told people to replace their PC with an ipad... it was pretty obvious it was just a larger, more powerful iphone, which it turns out is pretty damn useful for a lot of people.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:34 am

After many years of doing without, I broke down and got an iPad this year. Primarily because I needed a mobile screen much bigger than my phone for some specific browsing uses: cooking recipes and when I'm traveling and don't need to carry a laptop.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:54 pm

CA_Steve wrote:After many years of doing without, I broke down and got an iPad this year. Primarily because I needed a mobile screen much bigger than my phone for some specific browsing uses: cooking recipes and when I'm traveling and don't need to carry a laptop.
I just wished apple kept the 3.5 jack on it, for a tablet i dont see the gain of omiting it, for me its very useful on airplanes and trains. But its a very good table, specially with Nplayer/Infuse.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:46 am

Abula wrote: I just wished apple kept the 3.5 jack on it, for a tablet i dont see the gain of omiting it, for me its very useful on airplanes and trains. But its a very good table, specially with Nplayer/Infuse.
The 2018 9.7" iPad (non-Pro) has one.

arknet

Post by arknet » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:00 pm

I found myself reading this 10 year old thread, quite funny how we all slated the iPad when it was launched, most of the comments at the start of this saying "It will never take off". How wrong we all were.. :roll: :lol:

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:45 pm

yeah - I remember when a low rez digital camera was first added to phones and I thought "this'll never pan out"...and I was involved in CCD imaging at the time :)

I'm astounded at the improvements in pixel performance, optics advances and computing power for post picture correction.

pati.trip

Post by pati.trip » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:51 am

indeed! not counting about the Machine learning software that some devices are applying... I still remember on the university 10yrs ago when showing us about ML and it was quite a new thing on the industry... cannot wait what we will see in 10 years :)

Kay Burton

Post by Kay Burton » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:06 am

Well, yes, over the past 10 years, technology has not only stepped forward - it has jumped forward. And people have become more lazy and demanding. Because of this, it is difficult to find good, responsible employees. 90% of them come. who want to earn, but will not work. The technical process has its pros and cons.

MarkSabier14

Post by MarkSabier14 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:30 am

Kay Burton wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:06 am
Well, yes, over the past 10 years, technology has not only stepped forward - it has jumped forward. And people have become more lazy and demanding. Because of this, it is difficult to find good, responsible employees. 90% of them come. who want to earn, but will not work. The technical process has its pros and cons.
The fact that 90% of people (I don't know where you got this figure) do not want to work and just get paid for nothing, it's not at all new in our world. I think even 50 years ago the situation was not much better than it is now