Can I install Windows 7 Pro 64bit as upgrade for new build?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

accipiter

Can I install Windows 7 Pro 64bit as upgrade for new build?

Post by accipiter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:27 pm

okay, here is my dilemma....

So I am looking to do a new build with win 7 64bit as o/s. Going to go for Professional version as want to use the virtaualisation function for legacy XP hardware (scanner / printer).

In the UK, win 7 professional retails for approx:

Retail: £163
OEM: £115

I guess I want the Retail version so I can have the option to move it off the new one someday..., or OEM if I'm feeling poor.

As a UK student, I am eligible for 'The Ultimate Steal' ...ahem (clears throat). from microsoft where I can get the upgrade version for £70.
Unfortunately for a new build, I need the full version... right ???

Is there any way that I can use the upgrade version on a new build ? (given that there is no OS there to upgrade)

Thanks

idale

Post by idale » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:34 pm

If the XP is a retail copy and you'll be no longer using that computer then you'd be able to move and upgrade the XP, otherwise yes, to stay in good standing with the EULA you'll need to go retail as it's a new build.

accipiter

Post by accipiter » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:45 pm

It will be a new build, therfore has no prior operating system.
I have found a couple of web sites detailng some workarounds, but hoped someone here had actually managed it on a new build / blank hard drive ?

I have a set of XP pro installation media for an old pc, but I dont want to bet on this as a means to upgrade as I'll bet its a custom set for the hardware found in that PC...

...any way to save a few pennies.... ? :(

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/10/2 ... ard-drive/

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_ ... _media.asp

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:59 pm

I did the regedit workaround (method two) with W7 family pack.. ..Easy pea-zee, lemon squee-zee. :wink:

Zargon

Post by Zargon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:11 pm

xan_user wrote:I did the regedit workaround (method two) with W7 family pack.. ..Easy pea-zee, lemon squee-zee. :wink:

this.

they were upgrades but I did a new clean install anyways, works great

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:34 am

I went the double-install route, seemed to work OK.

idale

Post by idale » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:34 am

As I mentioned, to stay in good standing with the EULA, you'd need retail. You can indeed clean install from upgrade media, though without a previous license that you could transfer, it'd be against the EULA. If anything against an EULA, I'd go the OEM route (the clause there being broken is that the build is for a customer, though in cases like this you're your own customer and it doesn't seem any different from paying a friend to build it on your behalf) so you're getting a full version rather than an upgrade (without having a base version to upgrade).

MS could really stand to add some licensing options that suit people building (and supporting) their own systems. It's not like we're going to MS looking for support or anything, so why would a builder need a full retail license for his personal system when he's able to use OEM for clients? (Other than the OEM price difference being able to turn into "profit", but if we're "paying" ourselves, then what's the difference? ;))

ces

Post by ces » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:47 am

nutball wrote:I went the double-install route, seemed to work OK.
What is the double install route?

idale

Post by idale » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:56 am

ces wrote:What is the double install route?
Install once onto clean media (as a base install), don't enter your product key (idea being that an upgrade key won't work on a fresh install), then install over what you just installed (so you upgrade your freshly-installed OS).

I'm not sure if it's necessary with Win7, but that's the process from the Vista days, at least. I've upgraded my computers at home without having to double-install, but it could be the exact circumstances (one computer had a version of Windows on another partition, though I wouldn't think that'd matter, for example).

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:05 am

I did the Ultimate Steal when it was $30 (great deal!) and found some forum where they said it didn't matter if it was 'upgrade' or 'retail', what you are paying for is a licesnse key. And if the key works then it works. They had downloads for each version which I used to make a boot disc and isntalled full version without any issues. Is this against the EULA? I don't know, I never read them. All I know is they key I bought worked fine on my install. If MS sells you a disc as 'upgrade' when it in fact contains the a full install, well... that is just splitting hairs to me. They even recommend you do a clean install as it leads to fewer problems, then pretend that you are just 'upgrading'. Come on :roll:

ces

Post by ces » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:23 am

idale wrote:
ces wrote:What is the double install route?
Install once onto clean media (as a base install), don't enter your product key (idea being that an upgrade key won't work on a fresh install), then install over what you just installed (so you upgrade your freshly-installed OS).

I'm not sure if it's necessary with Win7, but that's the process from the Vista days, at least. I've upgraded my computers at home without having to double-install, but it could be the exact circumstances (one computer had a version of Windows on another partition, though I wouldn't think that'd matter, for example).
That is too simple. Let me see if I get this right:
1. Boot off the Windows 7 upgrade CD in the optical drive.
2. Install windows on a freshly formated drive.
3. Stop just prior to entering in the password/upgrade key
4. Boot a second time off the same Windows CD that you left in the optical drive.
5. This time enter the password/upgrade key.
Now after all that, you still have to call in within some period of time like 30 or 45 days or so, to get some kind of registration key to enter in order to legitimize the installation with MS.

Is that it? If so that is sure going to make my upgrade from XP to win7 a lot simpler than what I was dreading.

I wanted to do a fresh install. But I was going to have to go at least 2 generations back to find old outdated windows disks to install one version over another over another. I don't even know if I was going to be able to find my oldest original disk. I think it was something like Windows 97.

But please - just confirm to me that I got the above steps right.

idale

Post by idale » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:52 am

ces wrote:That is too simple. Let me see if I get this right:
1. Boot off the Windows 7 upgrade CD in the optical drive.
2. Install windows on a freshly formated drive.
3. Stop just prior to entering in the password/upgrade key
4. Boot a second time off the same Windows CD that you left in the optical drive.
5. This time enter the password/upgrade key.
Now after all that, you still have to call in within some period of time like 30 or 45 days or so, to get some kind of registration key to enter in order to legitimize the installation with MS.

Is that it? If so that is sure going to make my upgrade from XP to win7 a lot simpler than what I was dreading.

I wanted to do a fresh install. But I was going to have to go at least 2 generations back to find old outdated windows disks to install one version over another over another. I don't even know if I was going to be able to find my oldest original disk. I think it was something like Windows 97.

But please - just confirm to me that I got the above steps right.
That's pretty much correct. At least with Vista it'd ask you which version to install (normally it'll use the product key to determine this), so you'd make sure to choose the version you've got the license for (not so much "stop early" as "leave the product key blank and continue"), but again I don't remember going through the process on Win7 (though it should still work for you).

It really is that easy. If you go for the double-install route, all you do after getting into Windows for the second time is to go ahead and activate Windows (or wait until it pops up its reminder). As mentioned, you can probably forgo the double-install as well (I'm pretty sure I didn't do that on the laptop where I backed up the old OS to another drive and started completely fresh), but I can see not wanting to potentially waste an install cycle by trying to install Win7 straight from the upgrade disc.

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:40 am

ces, Windows 7 can be installed completely without entering a key. The first time you install from the upgrade disk leave the key blank and uncheck the box that says activate online. After Windows 7 has installed the first time boot to your upgrade disk for a second time and reinstall but enter your key when prompted.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:19 pm

idale wrote:As I mentioned, to stay in good standing with the EULA, you'd need retail. You can indeed clean install from upgrade media, though without a previous license that you could transfer, it'd be against the EULA.
I have the xp lic(s) to 'legaly' upgrade from , but I always prefer to do a fresh and clean install, with just one newly formatted HDD on my pc..AFAIC that should not be against the eula.

idale

Post by idale » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:51 am

xan_user wrote:
idale wrote:As I mentioned, to stay in good standing with the EULA, you'd need retail. You can indeed clean install from upgrade media, though without a previous license that you could transfer, it'd be against the EULA.
I have the xp lic(s) to 'legaly' upgrade from , but I always prefer to do a fresh and clean install, with just one newly formatted HDD on my pc..AFAIC that should not be against the eula.
That quote was to the OP, who didn't have an existing license he'd be able to upgrade. As you had an existing OS license, then of course you can upgrade. And presumably it's that type of usage that is why MS allows clean installs from upgrade media (I do that too, since every time I upgrade it's an opportunity to start fresh). :)

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:57 pm

nutball wrote:I went the double-install route, seemed to work OK.
YES! this is what I did. You just turn off the computer during some point in the first install process. this then makes a previous version of windows.

It is really funny when you do it. I actually laughed for a while.

I recommend doing the cheap way. They give you a full install for such a tiny sum of cash. I did that. I did 64 bit Pro. Couldnt be happier.

I had some issues making a 64 bit install on my flash drive. I used a Patriot super speed thumb drive. the intall was less than 15 minutes on an e8400 machine, 1 TB samsung drive and 4 gigs ram. I think it was like 11 minutes. was a joy to do.