How do *you* pronounce "Kaze"?

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

"Kaze"?

Kayz
18%
Kah-Ze
76%
Other
5%

Total votes: 38

KayDat

How do *you* pronounce "Kaze"?

Post by KayDat » Thu May 20, 2010 4:05 am

So it occured to me, that the reason why Scythe had all these Japanese names for their products is because it is a Japanese company.
Now names like "Kabuto" and "Mugen" may be pronounced somewhat differently in English to Japanese, the structure is still mostly the same. But what about "Kaze"? The "vowel-consonant-E" rule in English completely changes the way you'd pronounce the word. So, how do you pronounce "Kaze"?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu May 20, 2010 7:49 am

Same as in kamikaze

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Thu May 20, 2010 8:13 am

indeed

ka ze

two syllables, I stress the first slightly and the second is closely spaced with a smooth transition and a softer pronunciation.

the first a little softer than if someone from New Jersey says Car since some people from around there stress beginning consonant and drop the r sound. I can't think of a good reason to get someone from jersey to make the zee sound.

But while I'm thinking about the east coast someone go to Pat's or Geno's for me and bring me a proper Philly. Cheese Whiz, Provolone, or Mozzarella, You just can't get a good one around here without hitting a full fledged sit down restaurant where you have no idea who made it or how good it'll be this time. It's totally hit or miss.

Scoop

Post by Scoop » Thu May 20, 2010 8:22 am

Both syllables are short. The first syllable isn't a long kah but short, just like ze in terms on length. How you explain how to pronounce Japanese 'ka' and "ze" in English is beyond me. :D

What is a good example.... well watch this, there's plenty of 'kaze' in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYD1MLRapv8

fwiffo

Post by fwiffo » Thu May 20, 2010 8:43 am

I'm surprised anyone actually pronounces it with one syllable. That's like pronouncing Nike like Mike.

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:02 am

Scoop wrote:Both syllables are short. The first syllable isn't a long kah but short, just like ze in terms on length. How you explain how to pronounce Japanese 'ka' and "ze" in English is beyond me. :D

actually in the video he says it more like ka zay than ka zee.

Even I say it with short syllables so if you saw something in my prior post that made you think I was drawing out the pronunciation it was just me trying to show more the tone than the length. Many short words/syllables allow for multiple pronunciations. Adding extra letters makes it more obvious to some what you mean when you can't use a you tube video to get the point across.

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Thu May 20, 2010 11:15 am

Well yeah, ultimately, it's hard to spell out the word in English, because it's a Japanese word. "ã

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Thu May 20, 2010 11:38 am

[quote="KayDat"]Well yeah, ultimately, it's hard to spell out the word in English, because it's a Japanese word. "ã

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Thu May 20, 2010 12:11 pm

Yes, I'm Chinese and like watching anime too, doesn't make my opinion or vote any less valid. =] Just means you have a little more insight into the language. And while "風" is how it's written, "ã

ame

Post by ame » Thu May 20, 2010 1:09 pm

never had to say this word

:lol:

EDIT
Kah Zeh - means "like this" in my laguage (hebrew)

EDIT2:

Can someone plaese tell me how to pronounce scythe?

Me and a freind are constantly in disagreement on this one.
Last edited by ame on Thu May 20, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Thu May 20, 2010 1:11 pm

The ze part is more like "eh" than "ee".

So I'd say something like kah-zeh.

Regardless, I still pronounce karaoke, "care-ee-o-kee" and not how Zapp Brannigan said it in Futurama.

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Thu May 20, 2010 2:23 pm

I pronounce Scythe like "ssigh-th", with a bit of a sliding "ss" sound for the "sc".

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:47 am

I let other people pronounce it for me. :mrgreen:

judge56988
Friend of SPCR

Post by judge56988 » Sat May 22, 2010 8:52 am

Here in England, "carzy" is slang for a toilet, so if I ever need to say Scythe Kaze, which I probably won't, I think I'll stick with kaze (to rhyme with haze or maze).

Scoop

Post by Scoop » Sat May 22, 2010 11:21 am

dhanson865 wrote:
Scoop wrote:Both syllables are short. The first syllable isn't a long kah but short, just like ze in terms on length. How you explain how to pronounce Japanese 'ka' and "ze" in English is beyond me. :D

actually in the video he says it more like ka zay than ka zee.

Even I say it with short syllables so if you saw something in my prior post that made you think I was drawing out the pronunciation it was just me trying to show more the tone than the length. Many short words/syllables allow for multiple pronunciations. Adding extra letters makes it more obvious to some what you mean when you can't use a you tube video to get the point across.
I probably just looked at the poll options where it says 'kah-ze'. I actually voted 'other' because even though close, that's not correct either :)

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun May 23, 2010 4:43 am

Japanese and Finnish languange both construct main bi-syllabels / bi-syllabic construction and both languange tend to pronounce syllabels and words as they are written, unlike English for isntant.

So I would pronounce it: Kaze. Combining English words Scythe and japanese word Kaze intends to make my tongue bit tied up, due suddenly changing pronounciation from one to another. I'd probably pronounce it Saith Kaze... Theory easy but in practise I might bite my tongue... again :D

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun May 23, 2010 3:11 pm

kah-zeh is how I would pronounce it - the influence of some high school Japanese.

Fayd

Re: How do *you* pronounce "Kaze"?

Post by Fayd » Sun May 23, 2010 4:15 pm

KayDat wrote:So it occured to me, that the reason why Scythe had all these Japanese names for their products is because it is a Japanese company.
Now names like "Kabuto" and "Mugen" may be pronounced somewhat differently in English to Japanese, the structure is still mostly the same. But what about "Kaze"? The "vowel-consonant-E" rule in English completely changes the way you'd pronounce the word. So, how do you pronounce "Kaze"?
kah zay

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Sun May 23, 2010 4:16 pm

JamieG wrote:kah-zeh is how I would pronounce it - the influence of some high school Japanese.
for me, it's the influence of an unhealthy obsession with anime and manga.

Fayd

Post by Fayd » Sun May 23, 2010 4:20 pm

ame wrote:never had to say this word

:lol:

EDIT
Kah Zeh - means "like this" in my laguage (hebrew)

EDIT2:

Can someone plaese tell me how to pronounce scythe?

Me and a freind are constantly in disagreement on this one.
easier solution would be to google it in a dictionary or wiktionary, and listen to the sound clip.

alleycat

Post by alleycat » Tue May 25, 2010 7:31 pm

fwiffo wrote:I'm surprised anyone actually pronounces it with one syllable. That's like pronouncing Nike like Mike.
I know it's OT, but since someone has mentioned it, I find it annoying how people pronounce "Nike" as nigh-key. Where does this come from? Just as in the name "Mike", in English the function of the "e" at the end is to modify the "i" into a long vowel, and is itself not pronounced (the "vowel-consonant-E" rule referred to by the OP). To pronounce the "e" separately, it can no longer function as a vowel modifier. It's either one or the other, not both simultaneously.

I believe the name "Nike" is in reference to Greek mythology, however the Greek pronunciation would sound more like nee-kay. The nigh-key pronunciation is mangled rubbish, neither English nor Greek. Applying the same inconsistencies to "kaze", we'd end up with kay-zee (rhymes with "crazy" :wink: ).

colm

Post by colm » Thu May 27, 2010 9:31 pm

judge56988 wrote:Here in England, "carzy" is slang for a toilet, so if I ever need to say Scythe Kaze, which I probably won't, I think I'll stick with kaze (to rhyme with haze or maze).
me too.
if to mention association with japanese, I change the vote to kah zee...

a dialect thing.

merlin
Friend of SPCR

Post by merlin » Thu May 27, 2010 11:34 pm

fwiffo wrote:I'm surprised anyone actually pronounces it with one syllable. That's like pronouncing Nike like Mike.
Lol I just noticed your username. We have a spathi on board who likes silence! That totally makes sense because that means you aren't hearing scary aliens invading you...only ones sneaking up on you ;)