Help setting up HDTV to internet through HDMI

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GamingGod

Help setting up HDTV to internet through HDMI

Post by GamingGod » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi I dont have much experience with multiple monitors so this is all new to me. I have a Sony HDTV kdp-51ws655 which I have connected to my computer through my Evga Geforce 260 GTX core 216's secondary DVI port via a DVI-to-HDMI adapter. I have gotten the picture working but I thought that I would be able to hear the sounds through the tv speakers as well, but unfortunately right now I only hear sound from my computer speakers. Also the TV's display is 1080i which is 1920 x 1080 while my monitors resolution is 1920 x 1200. Is there a way where I can have my monitor and TV both set to their default resolutions and also be able to hear videos through the TV's speakers? Also I am doing this through Windows 7 64bit Ultimate.

danimal

Re: Help setting up HDTV to internet through HDMI

Post by danimal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:06 pm

i'm guessing that the gtx260 does not send audio thru any video port, you have to run ati 5xxx, or a newer nvidia card, and then you'd need to know if the tv can decode the audio.

you are using the second monitor for htpc? hook up the spdif port on your motherboard, to your receiver.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:06 pm

The GTX 260 does send sound over HDMI. It uses a separate cable (which should have been supplied with it) between a sound output header on the motherboard or sound card and another header on the card itself. On the GTX 260 it should be a two pin header around the top of the card somewhere. Once the cable is in place you then need to select the sound output the cable is connected to through the Windows control panel, and set it as the default. It should be marked as some form of Digital Output.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:56 am

Awesome I will check it out and try to find the cord I need. Thanks

danimal

Post by danimal » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:48 pm

good call lodestar... it's motherboard spdif via hdmi, instead of a seperate connection, like i mentioned earlier.

http://www.yproxy.com/blog/audio-and-vi ... therboard/

unfortunately my gtx 260 died a couple of days ago, i can't check it out :-/

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:00 am

Yea it works with sound etc. but I have to change the source everytime which is kinda annoying. Also if I switched to screen duplicate it cuts off the top part of the screen on my monitor because the resolution on the tv is a little different. I wish I could have both play at native resolution with sound, without having to switch things around.