How Iran hacked the Sentinel

Our "pub" where you can post about things completely Off Topic or about non-silent PC issues.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

How Iran hacked the Sentinel

Post by Tzupy » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:04 am

I believe it's an interesting read. Link to article at Dailytech: http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=23533
Seems like sloppy software engineering to me, but since the Sentinel is a Lockheed / CIA product, that's nothing new. :wink:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Re: How Iran hacked the Sentinel

Post by andyb » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:06 pm

First and in many instances the most important. I read the first section, but no detail whatsoever in the article, I felt I didn't need to read further.

As far as I am currently concerned I don't need to read any more at all to make my points fully clear in every possible way - this should not have been allowed to happen....... if it really did.

1). Being in another country illegally instantly passes you into that country's law system, whether it is a person or a top-secret spy drone, it makes no difference if you are caught if you are caught, if not can be considered an act of war etc etc...... this needs to be taken into account with any and all other answers regardless of their perceived validity, think of "the golden rule" before answering this or any other point.

2). My personal hope. I hope that this is actually a very clever ruse by the CIA etc to "allow" the Iranians to gain this bit of flying kit by landing it on their airstrip, allowing them to gain control whilst actually being in control and monitoring everything whilst letting them think that they have taken control etc etc. This would be an outrageous and fantastic plot if it were true, to actually give the Iranians nothing at all but the "belief" that they have found the golden goose, but instead they have been given a Trojan horse.

3). Really shitty reality. The US has "gifted" the Iranians an unscathed item of kit that is worth a fortune and is a gigantic prize that can and will be sold to the highest and probably all bidders. The this flying wing that is invisible to all but the best radar, has a low heat signature and can fly for hours and out of the reach of most SAM's, not to even mention why it is there - it is a spy vehicle, its mission is to gain information and pass it on to its owners - who now include Iran, and in the future the owners of said technology could include many other countries.

4). Top secret stuff should have fail-safe's that should include explosives to destroy the item in question to the extent that it would be like piecing a dinosaur together with a few bones, you only get an idea of what it looks like, and the rest is a mixture of guesswork and previous knowledge, specifically its "brain" would be totally destroyed which would be entirely feasible, practical and greatly diminish the chances of computer technology replication via reverse engineering - a much easier to protect bit of science and engineering than a bit of wing with which a similar composite could be made that reduces the radar signature.

5). If this story is true then Iran needs to be given full credit and the US deserves being kicked in the nuts for this. If the US was so sure that its Drones could not be taken by enemy's of its then it should have had the balls to goi in with bombs, and destroy the vehicle before (or after) Iran had it. That contingency plan was obviously not very good, or maybe it is as I hope for after all - look at number 2.

Andy

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:38 am

andyb wrote:2). My personal hope. I hope that this is actually a very clever ruse by the CIA etc to "allow" the Iranians to gain this bit of flying kit by landing it on their airstrip, allowing them to gain control whilst actually being in control and monitoring everything whilst letting them think that they have taken control etc etc. This would be an outrageous and fantastic plot if it were true, to actually give the Iranians nothing at all but the "belief" that they have found the golden goose, but instead they have been given a Trojan horse.
Are we still talking about the CIA here? Because they sorely lack the I in CIA.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:50 am

Some doubts about the Iranian 'hijack' of the Sentinel, link at Aviationweek:
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/de ... d=blogDest
The truth may be in the middle: the Iranians tried to do what they claim, and the Sentinel was affected strong enough to make it soft-crash land.
In Ahmadinejad's tradition, embellishing reality for propaganda purposes is as good as the truth.
Sources claim that Obummer had a couple of days to decide about the bombing of the crashed Sentinel, but decided to be indecided.
Even if he has the double of Dubya's IQ, he doesn't seem to have the balls. :wink:

Scrooge

Post by Scrooge » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:40 am

Tzupy wrote:Even if he has the double of Dubya's IQ, he doesn't seem to have the balls. :wink:
Osama's ghost might like a word with you about that.