New Arctic-Cooling GPU coolers: Accelero X1 & X2

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:29 am

Like G. Gecko would say:

"It's a dog with fleas!"

Accelero series are going to be crap. Recirculating hot air inside the case is just dumb!! Period!

And no way I'm going to add more fans, to take that GPU hot air out.

My target is to silence the system as much as I can!

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:42 pm

This discussions with Arctic sound familiar, to some Lucas scripts.

Me. . . You were the Chosen One! It was said that you would silence the G-Force, not sscrew it. It was you who would bring silence to my ears, not leave it in diapers.

Arctic Rep: I hate you!

Me: You were my brother, Arctic. I loved you.

Arctic Rep clothing blows into the lava river and ignites. Suddenly the Rep bursts into flames and starts SCREAMING.

StarfishChris

Post by StarfishChris » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:57 pm

oscar3d wrote:Arctic Rep clothing blows into the lava river and ignites. Suddenly the Rep bursts into flames and starts SCREAMING.
Oh, come on, it can't be worse than the stock cooler? :lol:

oscar3d

Post by oscar3d » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:57 am

I know it's not worse than the Stock cooler.

But it's certainly dissapointing that they did away with their exhaust solution

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:31 am

oscar3d wrote:I know it's not worse than the Stock cooler.

But it's certainly dissapointing that they did away with their exhaust solution
it was the main reason I bought my ati silencer. The fan is pretty quiet..and it aids in overall case airflow. Now I think they've pushed me to wait for Zalmans VF900.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:39 am

I doubt their db measurements are accurate, but even so... Assuming they are accurate, it's sad they think 34db is quiet.

kkzz

Post by kkzz » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:53 am

At this point we are not planning to re-design the Accelero series. I suggest you contact your retailer and purchase one first to test for yourself before buying more for the rest of your company.
I suggest no one buys it then Arctic Cooling might get the message

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:14 am

Shadowknight wrote:I doubt their db measurements are accurate, but even so... Assuming they are accurate, it's sad they think 34db is quiet.
Whose measurements? If you're talking about techPowerUp!'s review then you're mistaken. They measured the sound at a distance of 10cm, not 1m.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:17 am

rpsgc wrote:
Shadowknight wrote:I doubt their db measurements are accurate, but even so... Assuming they are accurate, it's sad they think 34db is quiet.
Whose measurements? If you're talking about techPowerUp!'s review then you're mistaken. They measured the sound at a distance of 10cm, not 1m.
techpowerup. It's just in general, people think "less loud" is quiet i.e. they haven't visited SPCR, and think anything below 40db is quiet, even assuming accurate fan specs/measurement.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:38 am

Shadowknight wrote:techpowerup. It's just in general, people think "less loud" is quiet i.e. they haven't visited SPCR, and think anything below 40db is quiet, even assuming accurate fan specs/measurement.
Did you even read what I said? They measured the noise at 10cm, SPCR measures at 1m, that's 100cm.

jib

Post by jib » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:50 am

rpsgc, relax and smile .. :-)

Shadowknight wrote "Assuming they are accurate" just to make a point of it, he could just as well have written "even if they were accurate" or something somesuch. Of course he had read what you wrote, so lets all get back on topic instead.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:53 am

I was just reiterating that 34dB at a mere 10cm can be perfectly called "quiet" because at 1m (like SPCR tests) it will be much less than that. AC states 15dB (0,4sone).

Example:

Hitachi 7K400 400GB
StorageReview (idle noise at 18mm) :arrow: 41,2dB/A
SilentPCReview (idle noise at 1m) :arrow: 25dB/A

Samsung P80 160GB
StorageReview (idle noise at 18mm) :arrow: 40,1dB/A
SilentPCReview (idle noise at 1m) :arrow: 21dB/A

Anyways...

Was there something preventing AC to use heatpipes on the Silencers base design? They should've done something along the lines of the 7800GTX-512 stock cooler.

duality
Friend of SPCR

Post by duality » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:27 am

I guess it means that: don't switch to Accelero, go instead for VF700 which at least kind of sort of blows air out as a side effect (literally) when you open up one of the back thingies.

Or, since I'll be getting a 6800GS, I could go for an NV Silencer. Indeed... :?

cAPSLOCK

Post by cAPSLOCK » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:21 am

I think people here are overreacting just a little bit :| Yes, it doesn't have the major advantage that the silencer series had for blowing hot air out, but that doesn't make it the worst cooler in the world, or noisy or whatever... It can still be a silent good performing cooler, it just means you have to have a good case airflow and a good cpu cooling system, like most people here have anyway.

It would have been nice that they use the same design again, but I can understand why they didn't: if you look at the amount of heatsink in the new models vs. the old models. The problem is that the new GPU's these days are still getting hotter, and wishing to continue using an old cooler design is like wishing to use a socket370 heatsink on a prescott...

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:47 am

cAPSLOCK wrote:It would have been nice that they use the same design again, but I can understand why they didn't: if you look at the amount of heatsink in the new models vs. the old models. The problem is that the new GPU's these days are still getting hotter, ...
That may be true of the screaming high-end, but it's not true lower down the range. The X1800XL for example consumes less power than a 6800Ultra, about the same as a 5950Ultra ... Arctic sell external exhaust solutions for the latter two cards, but if you want one for an X1800XL you're out of luck. Explain to me why it's possible to use the old design for an 80W card but not for a 60W card?

I reckon that Arctic want to rationalise their product line to reduce their costs, so X1800XL owners get shafted by the ludicrous power consumption of the XTs, XTXs and XXXs. I'm fully expecting the situation with X1900XL to be the same. It sucks, frankly!

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:10 am

If they stop making silencers, then thermaltake can make silencer clones and there'll be little anyone can say about it. I wonder if hong sheng can make better radial fans than arctic cooling or whoever their fan supplier is?

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:38 pm

cAPSLOCK wrote:I think people here are overreacting just a little bit :| Yes, it doesn't have the major advantage that the silencer series had for blowing hot air out, but that doesn't make it the worst cooler in the world, or noisy or whatever...
Sure, it won't be the worst coller in the world, I'm sure it will be quiter than stock and probably cool better, but it won't be as quiet as other solutions. Arctic Silencer fans are always noisy even when new and become even noisier when they get old.
cAPSLOCK wrote:It can still be a silent good performing cooler, it just means you have to have a good case airflow and a good cpu cooling system, like most people here have anyway.
Even with good airflow top end videocards still dissapate too much heat. I can run my rig with system fans on 7V, but my video card temperatures climb to 75-80C. Keeping exhaust fans at 10V keep my video card temps about 5 degrees cooler under load, that's significant. So even with a good case your exhaust fans must still move a lot of air to remove all the heat dissapated by the graphics card.

NapalmDeath

Post by NapalmDeath » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:02 am

It's possible this is just another product in their lineup that won't kill the adjacent slot with the exhaust, and possibly they hope to market to card manufacturers to put on their stock cards as OEM.

I'd be surprised if they dumped the Silencer rear exhaust line, as there are a lot of folks buying them. (I've bought 3 myself)

The concept of venting hot air out the back is so simple, it's amazing.
I'm using it in my SFF and gladly sacrifice a PCI slot for the overall cooling effect it has.

boe

Exhaust outside

Post by boe » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:37 pm

A lot of people are mentioning exhausting outside the case. As I may be in the market shortly for a super quiet GPU fan, what is reasonably priced that is VERY quiet and does a good job of cooling. I won't be overclocking but I'll probably end up with the 1900 or the g71.

Thanks

jmke
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by jmke » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:52 am

If I walk into your room right now with a dBA meter and you turn of your PC, I'm pretty sure the noise reading in your room will be between 30-35dBA, or even more.

andrewscarella

Post by andrewscarella » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:30 am

Something we are forgetting is the measurement of the accelero x1 and x2 for that matter. When I first heard these were coming out, I was in the process of trying to replace my noisy asus a8n sli chipset fan. With the nv silencer, the length of the card was increased, and making it very tricky to run an sli config. and replace the fan. there were several mods done to the silencer to make it fit on a zalman heatsink, but I didnt want to cut into the plastic of the silencer. The accelero sits ontop of the card and seems much smaller than a silencer, which makes replacing the chipset fan much easier. Also, according to arctic-cooling's website, the siencer is rated at 0.9 sone while the accelero is 0.4 sone, making the accelero quieter. venting the hot air outside the case is a great idea, but I would rather deal with a little hot air than have a gpu silencer that prevents me from replacing other loud components on my mobo. I plan on purchasing one of these, and I will tell all of you waht I think. Thanks

Andrew

rapidone

Post by rapidone » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:35 pm

How poorly Arctic Cooling understand their market. I've been holding off buying a X1800/X1900 card because I can't find a rear venting cooler.

Sure the Accelero Cooler may be quiet, but having the heat vented into the case means I would have to increase the speed of the fans on the CPU and Power suppy making more noise.

I just hope the 7800 coolers fit the 7900, so maybe there will be another option.

EDIT : I read one advert for the Accelero that said somthing like, 'Excess heat carried away by BTX air flow'. Maybe we are all expected to switch for cases from ATX to BTX before buying the Accelero!