Is there a good replacement heatsink for 8800 series GPU?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CraftyChicken
Patron of SPCR

Is there a good replacement heatsink for 8800 series GPU?

Post by CraftyChicken » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:59 pm

Greetings,

Long time lurker who has been taking SPCR advice for a while to silence my gaming computer addiction, literally. Once you go down this road, I guess there is no turning back. Which is why I'm curious if anyone has found a good heat sink for the 8800 series video-cards. I've done a search and haven't found anything on the forums.

I'm currently using the HR-03 for my 7950 SLI setup, with a 80mm NEXUS fan on the bottommost card. Unfortunately, the HR-03 doesn't fit on the 8800, as many of you know, and there is still no word on the upgrade/adapter.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Khato

Post by Khato » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:37 am

Heh, I somewhat doubt that anyone's looking for a replacement cooler for the 8800 series because it'd be pretty difficult to top the stock cooling. Just look a few threads down about the discussion on 8800 stock noise levels - at idle chances are it'll be silent amidst other components, and under load, well, non-intrusive so long as the room's not quiet.

About the only better heatsink you could get for one would be retrofitting a CPU heatsink onto it. Now that they finally have a heatspreader on the die again, it wouldn't be nearly so risky to do. Too bad they didn't just line up the mounting holes with the standard 775 coolers or some such though, hehehe.