GeForce equivalent to TechPowerUp Radeon Bios Editor?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

John Peterson

GeForce equivalent to TechPowerUp Radeon Bios Editor?

Post by John Peterson » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:18 am

Is there an equivalent of the TechPowerUp Radeon Bios Editor Threshold / Transfer Function Fan Settings for GeForce cards. That allows a modification of the automatic mode, a linear increase in fan speeds from 0% to 100% at specific temperatures. I have not seen this option in the Nvidia System Tools or third party software for GeForce cards.

Here is a picture of the Radeon Bios Editor settings.
Last edited by John Peterson on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:14 pm

Rivatuner is probably as close as you can get.

You won't be able to get a linear fan speed rise like that right hand side of the graph in that third screenshot on the page you linked to, though.

The best you would be able to do is get a stepped effect, with a fan speed drop or rise as temperature passes a defined threshold. If you set a large number of thresholds and different but minor fan speed changes, you should be able to approximate a linear rise.

When I had my stock cooler on my 8800GTX, I had it set up this way, with about 3 threshold levels to approximate idle / 2D load / 3D load.

A bit of Googling should turn up some guides for getting rivatuner to work this way.

John Peterson

Post by John Peterson » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:38 am

JamieG wrote: The best you would be able to do is get a stepped effect, with a fan speed drop or rise as temperature passes a defined threshold.
Thanks. That should do.

I've also read that these manual fan speed settings only result in about three or four different fans speeds. (While the automatic fan speed on the card may be more continuous.) Is there any kind of mapping of what kind of fan speed control the different brands allow? For example in terms of different manual speeds or the lowest allowed speed? Is there any brand that is know for a particularity good fan speed control chip? For example EVGA to pick one?

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:41 am

Hi, I think NiBiTor will do what you want.
I used it to modify the fan profile on my Gainward GTX260 sucessfully. There is even a setting to control how quickly the fan increase speed from one step to another that can help mask the increases!
Regards, Seb

John Peterson

Post by John Peterson » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:31 am

SebRad wrote:Hi, I think NiBiTor will do what you want.
Thanks