Scythe Setsugen on the HD5xxx

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mindz

Scythe Setsugen on the HD5xxx

Post by mindz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:11 am

I havent found a discussion about this videocard cooler. It looks as though this is a great cooler, without the VRM overheating problem, like on the MK-13 and T-Rad2. Anyone tried this already?

This review is positive: http://ht4u.net/reviews/2009/scythe_set ... ndex12.php

It comes with a slim 120mm scythe slipstream (pwm) and can idle at 1000 rpm and keep the chip at 24 degrees. This means that it can idle at less then 1000 still keeping it well in range of the temperature the stock cooler idles at and being inaudible (probably at around 700ish RPM). Whenever the gaming starts you just ramp up the speed to 1000+ and youll be set.

Anybody else thought of this one yet, or are there problems im not aware of?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:35 am

Setsugen is indeed interesting fan. Slimmer than AC1 rev.2 + 120mm fan. There are many interesting new VGA cooler's now in market. I am waiting more reviews of Setsugen. It does look very, very promising.

mindz

Post by mindz » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:55 am

Indeed. Plus you wont lose the option for Crossfire, if im correct!

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:19 am

Also I find it interesting that fan blows away from the PCB and not towards. Way the fan is placed near PCB should make air move around PCB components too, prvoding sufficient cooling for most components. Slim Kazy-Jyu has poor impedance properties though, I wonder how it will affect...

Tephras

Post by Tephras » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:48 pm

According to the review linked in the OP the temperatures will be lower with the fan blowing at the PCB and the review site has contacted Scythe and informed them of this. Scythe has stated that they will begin to mount the fan so that it blows towards the PCB. This review also tried with the fan blowing towards the PCB and got lower temperatures.