Well guys I screwed it up

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JohnMK

Well guys I screwed it up

Post by JohnMK » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:44 am

I ordered the Arctic VGA Silencer and applied it to my Radeon 9800 Pro All-In-Wonder. Now ATI Tool reports artifacts at *default* clocks. Apparently the cooler isn't getting good contact with the GPU. I made sure to use lots of thermal goo because I was under the impression that the heatsink might not touch the GPU because the GPU socket is higher than the core by maybe half a mm or so. Is this true or not? What should I do? Do I have to tighten the clamp even more? It was moaning and groaning, I didn't want to do that. :) It's not all the way down like it says to do in the instructions but it seems very secure & solidly connected. Grrrr.

Helps guys, what should I do. I have AS5 laying around, maybe I should try just re-applying the thing.

Sorry just had to vent.

apocalypse80

Post by apocalypse80 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:54 am

So your problem is the shim (the metallic square around the core)?

I solved that by filing the base of the silencer by 0.5mm as to create a square that is smaller than the shim , so now my silencer has perfect contact with the core and doesn't touch the shim at all.

Beware that if you do that or if you remove the shim , you should take extra care when mounting the HS , radeon cores are very sensitive.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:55 am

Tighten it down until the screws bottom out. Yes, it'll be tight. Yes, it'll make you nervous. But that's the way the tension mechanism is designed. It creates good contact through a flexing of the steel in the clamp.

Feel the metal of the AC-S, is it warm anywhere? On mine the metal nearest the GPU gets quite hot.

JohnMK

Post by JohnMK » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:43 am

Yes the heatsink is warm. Hot, I might say. But perhaps it could be hotter. :) I will try re-applying it tonight.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:27 pm

I put mine on my 9700pro today and had no problems; did you be sure to get all the thermal goo off before you reapplied; and you shouldnt need to put a huge layer on there. Check out how Ed applied his AS5 @ www.ngtechnik.com. You will find it under the TIM applying article. Best of luck in fixing your problem!

Leto

Post by Leto » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:19 am

Watercooled NB?

Hmm whats up with all the NB cooling going on? I had a noisy little fan spinning 4-5000 rpm that I just turned off. And I havent had a single problem ever since. The tiny heatsink underneath the fan does fine. Even when running Sim City 4 with BurnIt in the background :]

System: P4 Prescott, MSI Mobo, Geforce4 Ti-4200

Just my 2 cents :o

shathal

Post by shathal » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:29 pm

Yeah, I do wonder about the watercooled NB's. Mine's (Intel D875PBZ) is quite happily PASSIVELY cooled. Easiest solution of all :).

zak

Shim

Post by zak » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:40 pm

On my nvidia Ti4200, I filled the depression in the top of the chip package with a thin piece of aluminum that I cut from a single use dish.

It may not be perfect, but it works a lot better than filling the gap with just paste. I wonder if this is a sloution for the 'ATI gap' as well. It will have some protective effect on the core perhaps, but it could also form a risk of shorting something if it startedto move.

Thomas

Creeky

Post by Creeky » Wed May 05, 2004 7:07 am

I kept the shim on my radeon and fitted the vga silencer with no problems (Apart from the mounting bracket was useless) but once when fitting a zalman heatpipe to someones radeon 9800 pro we applied alot of AS3 to the core. Booted up the system and got artifacts in games etc.. anyway after a lot of messing around we found the problem was AS3 was pushed out onto the little resistors on the chips package. Cleaned it off and no problems since.

Cheers

K