My old Northbridge is stuck on. 'Elp.

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Takhisos

My old Northbridge is stuck on. 'Elp.

Post by Takhisos » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:52 am

Hi guys, i've just purcahsed a Zalman 42mm (blue) passve cooler for my EpoX 8RDA3G and I can't get the friggin old one off, its stuck fast.

I've unclipped the plastic mounts, but it just won't come, i've pulled pretty hard, but I didn't want to wreck anything, just wondered if I'm missing anything or if I should be pulling harder?

Thanks.

Rob M.

apocalypse80

Post by apocalypse80 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:58 am

Epox and their pink gum...
Try twisting it out.
Otherwise , heat it up with a hairdryer , then twist it out of place.
In case you use a hairdryer , take care , since the HS will get VERY hot.

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:35 am

i had to run my board for about 1 hr and then rock the heatsink left and right(circular while not pulling up) to break the bond. what every you do dont pull straight up. this can damage your NB.

also if i was you i would lap the heatsink before you put it on. i bought the same one and had to really lap it hard. it may look flat but the whole center was not even making contact with the NB. after lapping it the heatsink gets pretty warm.

also what board do you have. give us your specs.

MGP

Post by MGP » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:24 pm

yea, you gotta give a good yank on those stock northbridge chipset heatsinks...the thermal material used -- as you shall soon find out -- is more like tough, old bubble gum than quality product you'd see with Arctic Silver, etc.

Takhisos

Post by Takhisos » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:18 am

Yeah, was a damn toughy to get off. The haird dryer and a quick twist did the job.

Thanks guys, glad I came here for help.

Its all done now though.

Should the heatsink be getting warm? It doesn't seem to be, altough it is getting a healthy amount of air blowing over it from the SLK-800 and fan.

Well, its in windows working fine so it can't be all that bad can it? :)

'Famous last words'.

Leto

Post by Leto » Sat May 01, 2004 9:04 am

My MSI 865-Pe Northbridge temperature is always around 53 C with, the stock NB fan unplugged.