8+ pipelines, Undervoltable DX9 cards?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mrybczyn

8+ pipelines, Undervoltable DX9 cards?

Post by mrybczyn » Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:30 pm

Howdy,

I've been researching and considering upgrade options for my trusty old GF3. I'd like some nice performance, such as that of the 8+ pipeline cards, like the Radeon 9700 and up, and the GF-FX 5800 and up cards. However, the obvious problem is heat. I'd like buy a fast card, but slow it down a tad and undervolt it, much like the "extreme undervolting underclocking project" on SPCR. Nvidia seems the preferred option so far, because they already self-adjust current draw based on usage, which will help greatly in non-intensive situations.

Has anyone any experience or advice for undervolting modern high end video cards? Obviously, screwing it up would be costly (US$300+ per attempt)

Or, are there any cards available with some sort of built-in voltage configuration, or VGA-bios settable voltages? This would be ideal, and I would love to spend a premium for such a card.

Cheers,
Mitch

mrybczyn

Post by mrybczyn » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:22 am

Well, I found something for the Radeon 9800, here: http://www.ocfaq.com/kb/overclocking/voltmods

I've seen non-pro 9800's for around US$200, so thats looking like the way to go on a budget.

Still looking for volt mods for the high end Nvidia cards...

Cheers,
Mitch