*EDIT* Nevermind. Need spare stock ATI Radeon cooler

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fanerman91

*EDIT* Nevermind. Need spare stock ATI Radeon cooler

Post by fanerman91 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:06 pm

I have an ATI Radeon 9600XT 128 MB and I switched HSFs to an Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Rev 3 a couple weeks ago. It was working fine but yesterday I couldn't turn the computer on. The computer would turn on but the monitor wouldn't respond and the computer made an odd beeping noise. I eventually narrowed it down to the vid card (I tested the vid card on my brother's computer with the same results). Now I don't know what to do.

It worked fine after I hooked everything up. I'm fairly sure I hooked everything up correctly. The heatsink got hot. I played a few games on it too without a single hitch. As far as I could tell the Silencer was working fine.

The card is about 6 or 7 months old so the warranty might work except that I sort of did some wire splicing because the VGA Silencer's fan wouldn't fit the vid card for some reason. The pin connector on the VGA Silencer's fan was small and wouldn't fit. I told myself "I may regret this someday." And I just have.

Is there anything I can do? Anybody know what could be wrong? Is there any way anybody with a spare 9600XT fan (after doing something similar) that wouldn't mind shipping theirs to me? It's a circular fan that says "powered by ATI" on the center. I'd pay for it and everything

I took a picture of the fan I need.
pics.bbzzdd.com/users/fanerman91/fan.JPG

I don't think the website will let me link directly.
Last edited by fanerman91 on Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:15 pm

Try puting the stock HSF on. Don't worry about the fan, just try to see if it boots up. My AIW9600P had non-booting issues with the VGA Silencer rev3 also. Swapped back to the stock HSF and no problems.

Check to see if the huge heatsink is shorting anything on the board.

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:33 pm

zoob wrote:Try puting the stock HSF on. Don't worry about the fan, just try to see if it boots up. My AIW9600P had non-booting issues with the VGA Silencer rev3 also. Swapped back to the stock HSF and no problems.

Check to see if the huge heatsink is shorting anything on the board.
I tried it. It didn't work. The motherboard made the same beeping noise too.

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:22 pm

It wasn't the heatsink. It was the arctic silver. It's working now. Thanks.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:04 pm

Arctic Silver was IMO a bad product, it runs over time, it's subtly conductive, etc.. and should be generally be avoided in favor of Ceramique.

I threw my AS3 away long ago.

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:08 am

To get it to work, I covered the area around the GPU with electrical tape... is that a bad idea? I made sure the GPU still contacts the heatsink.

Straker

Post by Straker » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:05 am

should be fine, as long as you're not doing anything silly like taping over the RAM or getting it in the way of the gpu hsf.