They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Leto

Dual CNPS-7000 setup

Post by Leto » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:15 pm

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:25 pm

Hmm... I will seriously consider it -- it's cheaper than going for the ZM80D-HP, using the AlCu version instead. I too have a 5900XT.

Too bad he doesn't say how fast he runs the fan.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:48 pm

Too bad he didn't say how did he mount 7000 on the videocard... :lol:

Although I would be seriuosly concerned about the weight, 7000CU weighs almost 800g, that's enough to rip the card out of AGP slot of to develop microcracks on the videocard...

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:50 pm

:shock:

I heard first big zalman heatpipe heatsink, the ZM80 (pre-A) I think, needed to be toned down because it was too heavy. A 750 gram heatsink on a video card sounds dangerous, and even 440g seems like a little much, especially if thermal adhesive has a lower limit.

Wouldn't a flower be sufficient? A 6000ALCU is only 270g(partially because the fan has to be mounted seperately), a 3100+ is 296gand a3000+ is 148g. Plus they should be cheaper. Since GPU's don't need to be as cool, a heatsink that can handle a 60-70 watt CPU should be enough. And a GPU core is, AFAIK, bigger than that of a palomino.

I did this with the little 3000 recently, although only for passive cooling.

And it wouldn't be all that cheap if you don't already have some thermal adhesive.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:14 pm

Keep in mind, not everyone wants to run at stock speeds. I see this posted all the time that 'the GPU temperature doesn't matter', but when it comes to performance (which usually does not mix well with silence), it DOES matter.

Even so, some stock cards, unmodified the day they came out with the box, are having heat related issues with Doom 3.

GPU temperature DOES matter.

At any rate, I recall seeing a post a long time ago about someone rigging a spare 7000A onto their vidcard, but that its huge girth prevented the person from installing it into their AGP slot (Radeon card, I believe). It would seem the GFFX this person is using does not have the same problem.

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:51 pm

zoob wrote:Keep in mind, not everyone wants to run at stock speeds. I see this posted all the time that 'the GPU temperature doesn't matter', but when it comes to performance (which usually does not mix well with silence), it DOES matter.

Even so, some stock cards, unmodified the day they came out with the box, are having heat related issues with Doom 3.

GPU temperature DOES matter.
I agree; if the card is tested in the winter, it'll need headroom for extra summer heat, and what works for one PC might not work for another or even the same one with some alterations, better safe than sorry.
zoob wrote:At any rate, I recall seeing a post a long time ago about someone rigging a spare 7000A onto their vidcard, but that its huge girth prevented the person from installing it into their AGP slot (Radeon card, I believe). It would seem the GFFX this person is using does not have the same problem.
Any idea by how much? Could it be snipped down to fit? I didn't think of that, but I was wondering how the base size compared to that of the flowers, which is the only reason I mentioned the CNPS3100, althought it's slightly heavier and rated lower than a 6000AlCu, it's 52mm wide like a 3000+, not 63mm like a 6000.

Another potential advantage that I see with the flowers is they could be ducted like a VGA silencer, with a fan blowing across, like this:

or like this:

Anyone know which of these would work better?

greeef

Post by greeef » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:11 am

The second would probably be quieter, just cos the fan's further from the side of the case.

Also, you'd do well to orient the fins with the airflow, so rotate the heatsink 90 degrees.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:19 am

Man, that is just too heavy! It does not look like they have supported somehow, but they have to, it would bow the card without it.

I am suprised there are not more quiet gpu coolers aimed at OC'ing.

I don't feel the first gen VGA Silencers are for quiet computing then for OC'ing.

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:16 pm

I recently noticed that cards with AGP-PCIE bridge chips require the GPU further away from the MB, this should make this an option for a lot more cards. Now there's just the weight problem, if only Zalman still made all aluminum versions of their coolers (a CNPS6000AL would also be nice)

Wrah
Patron of SPCR

Post by Wrah » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:57 am

He does seem to be supporting the card. Look in the right top corner, there's a black tie-wrap tied to the corner of the card.

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:07 pm

If you look carefully at the pic. the graphics card is bowed slightly - the cable tie in the corner is pulling that corner up , and the weight of the Zalman pulling the middle of the card down .
IHMO - not good for the card

cliche

Post by cliche » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:19 am

I have one of these coolers (CU) - this just leaves me speechless :shock: :shock: :shock: