Suggestions for quieting a modified ATI 8500 AIW

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

windmiller

Suggestions for quieting a modified ATI 8500 AIW

Post by windmiller » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:20 pm

I added a Mighty Mite HSF from 1coolpc.com about a year ago and I think I used too much adhesive and the heatsink is stuck. The fan is too loud so I am trying to find a good solution to quiet it down but I cannot take off the heatsink. The fan is 45x10mm.

Any ideas?? I dont know of any quiet 45mm fans. I have a old PII heatsin that is about 8 inches long and 3 inches wide and 1 tall. Could I place it on top of the ccurrent heatsink and get away without a fan?

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:56 pm

I really don't think you can do that. What does that heatsink look like? If it's like a typical VGA HSF with the fan centered on the GPU, and a flat space underneath it, you could attach a heatsink there.

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:11 pm

try putting the heatsink into the freezer for like 30 min or like an hour... then try to pry it off, worked for me when i took off a glued on fan for a tnt2 card.

if not try a pci slot cooler from vantec. or a zalman pci thingy that hangs off the pci screws. lol sorry im really busy no time to link :(

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Fri Oct 29, 2004 4:21 pm

stacking heatsinks on top of each other is generally bad (too much thermal resistance between them). but it depends on your setup... do you have a pic?

here is a crummy pic of what i did with my AIW 7500

i just took off the stock fan but left the stock heatsink. then i rigged an 80mm panaflo in front of it with a pci cover and some zip ties. it runs at 5V and is inaudible outside the case.

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:21 pm

flyingsherpa wrote:stacking heatsinks on top of each other is generally bad (too much thermal resistance between them). but it depends on your setup... do you have a pic?
You're just refering attaching it to the top of the fins, not a flat centre, right?

Two layers of tim are used on CPU's. But if you're feeling very brave, you could try welding another heatsink to the base of that one.

windmiller

Post by windmiller » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:30 am

I might try to pry it off via Freezer Method. The heatsink I have is one of those long ones with a fan in the middle, pretty big.

Flyingsherpa, I was thinking on using a fan in the same way, I have one of those arms, I just need to get a good silent fan. Ill post after I try the freezer trick. Thanks for all the ideas and info!

Erikro

Post by Erikro » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:33 pm

I cooled my 8500 (250mhz version) with a zalman cm17 heatsink so now it is passive cooled, no noice. It can get hot but it works even with heavy 3d gaming

pangit
Patron of SPCR

Post by pangit » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:16 pm

I modded an old CPU heatsink and put it on my Radeon 9000 Pro AIW:
And it works a treat. Active cooling on these is not necessary as long as you have reasonable case airflow.