Which Zalman VGA HSF to get?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Sutcliffe

Which Zalman VGA HSF to get?

Post by Sutcliffe » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:45 pm

Hey guys,
I need an aftermarket VGA cooler for my 9600XT. I need a quiet/silent well performing one. I will be overclocking so the cooler must be effective yet quiet still. I was considering the Arctic Cooling Silencer products but after my previous history with them I would prefer not to use their products. I have narrowed it down to these three Zalman products:
- Zalman 80D-HP
- Zalman VF700-Alcu
- Zalman VF700-Cu

Which one do you think I should get? I don't mind lowering the volts in the fans to get silence but I still want performance. The cost of the 80D-HP is kind of putting me off it because I would probably need to purchase the extra fan as well. But anyway what do you guys reckon?
Cheers Sutcliffe

meglamaniac

Post by meglamaniac » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:55 am

Go for the ZM80D-HP.
It's a 9600 so I would be amazed if you need the optional fan. Zalman have only ever claimed it's needed for the much hotter 9700/9800 pro/XT series.

El Gringo

Post by El Gringo » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:40 am

I bought the Zalman vf700 cu for my 9600 pro, i know its overkill but im thinking of upgrading my card soon so this particular hsf seemed the better choice. Its very quiet and was very easy to install (took about 15-20 mins) Plus it come with the connector so you can decide which voltage you want to run the fan at which is very handy.

Overall im very impressed and its definitely doing its job well.

Sutcliffe

Post by Sutcliffe » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:45 am

I ended up getting the Zalman 80D-HP with-out the extra fan. My overclocked core/memory clock is the same as the stock cooler so I am very happy with it! Also it is very stable no artifacts! Just played CS Source for 2hrs no probs. I would highly recommend this cooler to anyone!