Got my VF700 Cu installed last night

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JMJ

Got my VF700 Cu installed last night

Post by JMJ » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:33 am

And I must say, much happier with it than the ATI silencer 4. I swapped out the Panaflo 80mm L1A back to the 92mm M1A (at 5V) on my XP-90 and set the Zalman VGA cooler on the 5V setting. I have finally achieved my goal of having a "very quiet" gaming system.

I am going to put a fanmate on the Zalman, it does get pretty warm on my X800XT-PE after gaming for a while (max temp of 68C on GPU). I also ran it on 12V to see the difference, and it only reached a max of 58C. Now I just have to find a way to route that zalman outside the case and make it easy to reach :)

One thing I noticed is my motherboard temp reports 3-4C higher now due to the hot air not being pumped out the rear PCI slot (one benefit to the AC). It did get up to 34C while gaming last night, but I don't think that's any major issue. That may go down with the card cranked up to 12V, I'll find out later tonight.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:53 pm

Now I just have to find a way to route that zalman outside the case and make it easy to reach
I just installed a Fanmate to the backside of a spare 5.25" drive cover. Drilled a 1/4" hole for the knob and cut a rectanglular opening for the cooling holes on the "front" (knob face) side of the Fanmate, then used a few strips of double-sided foam tape to attach the Fanmate to the drive cover. There's enough room to install a second Fanmate if needed.

ilh

Post by ilh » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:13 am

dfrost wrote:I just installed a Fanmate to the backside of a spare 5.25" drive cover. Drilled a 1/4" hole for the knob and cut a rectanglular opening for the cooling holes on the "front" (knob face) side of the Fanmate, then used a few strips of double-sided foam tape to attach the Fanmate to the drive cover. There's enough room to install a second Fanmate if needed.
Can you post a photo?

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:42 pm

Here and here are photos of the Fanmate attached to a spare drive bay cover on my Sonata.

nici

Post by nici » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:45 am

Nice one.. :)

I have one question though, i installed a 700cu yesterday and though it seems to fit tight against the core it easily rotates a bit. No tilting or anything, it just rotates a bit the same way the fan rotates. I did the mounting very carefully, the tim(AS3) is just fine and the screws are tight and the bits where they should be.

One thing about overclocking, my max overclock was 400-->460mHz on the core using watercooling, now the max core is about 425Mhz.. The x800XL has the IC for temp monitoring, but apparently its disabled by ati.. so unfortunately i cant say anything about temps, other than that the core runs warmer than with watercooling wich isnt a surprise really..

nbac
Patron of SPCR

Post by nbac » Thu Mar 17, 2005 11:40 am

nici wrote:Nice one.. :)

I have one question though, i installed a 700cu yesterday and though it seems to fit tight against the core it easily rotates a bit. No tilting or anything, it just rotates a bit the same way the fan rotates. I did the mounting very carefully, the tim(AS3) is just fine and the screws are tight and the bits where they should be.
I've noticed the same, and even tried to bend the spring-lever to
increase contact pressure. It didn't help much, but it work anyway.

JMJ

Post by JMJ » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:33 am

I can't say if mine rotated or not, but I actually removed it and put the dreaded clickable ATI silencer back on. I still find that to be a superior design for massive heat producing video cards. What I did do was rewire it to a regular 3 pin connector and put it on a Zalman fan controller that fits in the 5.25" bay. I put the Zalman VF700 on an old 9600 Pro in another box...couldn't let it go to waste :D

The reason I did this was because the zalman kept that heat in my case. It cooled the card just about the same as the ATI silencer, but the case temps were about 4C hotter because it just recirculated the air.