Video Card Fan Header Usage with aftermarket coolers?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pm_

Video Card Fan Header Usage with aftermarket coolers?

Post by pm_ » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:01 pm

I've done a bit of searching and can't seem to find much info on this.

I'm currently considering buying a 6600GT. It looks like the fan header on the video card is a small 2 pin connector, and it looks like this is standard on most video cards, compared with the 3 pin on most fans that have an RPM sensor.

Now I'm also planning on getting a VF700-CU to replace the stock HSF unit. But I'd like to know if there is an adapter included, or if one can be obtained separately, that would allow me to plug the VF700's fan directly into the Video card as opposed to using a 4 pin or 3 pin connector.

My hope is that the 6600GT has 2 speeds for the fan - 1 for 2d and 1 for 3d. I'd probably be satisfied froma noise standpoint if the fan is running at a lower RPM at idle - it doesn't have to be near silent all the time. I know that my younger brother's 5900 had a separate 2d and 3d fan speed.

Even if the 6600GT does not have separate 2d and 3d fan speeds, I'm still most interested in how to hook the fan on an aftermarket cooler like the VF700 up to the fan header on a video card, as this is going to come in handy sooner or later.

While I'm at it, if anyone knows a place that has the VF700-Cu for a price less than $35, please feel free to share. =)

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:21 pm

Buy Extras sells 2 pin ends. You'd have to be able to crimp the ends to put on the pin.

http://www.buyextras.com/2ty1femaco3c.html

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:22 pm

Make sure you don't get the Gigabyte 6600GT card. They glue their stock HSF to the GPU. I got an email from their tech support verifying this.

If the video card fan header has variable voltage output, you could just cut the existing fan connector wires and solder it to the VF700-CU. The VF700-CU comes with a splitter for 12V or 5V operation when connecting it to a peripherial power cable from the PSU.

pm_

Post by pm_ » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:49 pm

Guys, thanks for the info.

I ordered the VF700-Cu from www.crazypc.com for $36.57 shipped to the Chicago suburbs (www.theboyz.biz has it for $25.76, but they don't have much of a resellerratings history and I didn't check their shipping).

I also ordered an XFX 6600GT AGP w/dual DVI out from www.zipzoomfly.com for $204.99 - $25 MIR + free 2 day shipping = $179.99.

A warning to anyone else looking at the AGP 6600GT's: Some of them have their memory clocked at 900MHz DDR and some at 1000MHz DDR ( think evga has an AGP model or two that uses 900 MHz DDR and the same for PNY). Nvidia recommends that the AGP versoin be set to 900 MHz DDR, and 1000MHz DDR for the PCI-E version. A good number of manufacturers are going with 1000MHz DDR though for both the AGP and PCI-E, so just make sure you thoroughly check the product specs before you buy....the XFX is 1000 MHz DDR.

Sizzle: thanks for that info. Do you know if you actually have to crimp some ends though? Checking that link, it's advertised as a cable and you just have to choose the correct 2-Pin female end. I'm going to order one or two regardless once I have my 6600GT and I can examine the fan header to see which type of 2-Pin female end I need.

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:18 pm

pm_ wrote:Guys, thanks for the info.

I ordered the VF700-Cu from www.crazypc.com for $36.57 shipped to the Chicago suburbs (www.theboyz.biz has it for $25.76, but they don't have much of a resellerratings history and I didn't check their shipping).

I also ordered an XFX 6600GT AGP w/dual DVI out from www.zipzoomfly.com for $204.99 - $25 MIR + free 2 day shipping = $179.99.

A warning to anyone else looking at the AGP 6600GT's: Some of them have their memory clocked at 900MHz DDR and some at 1000MHz DDR ( think evga has an AGP model or two that uses 900 MHz DDR and the same for PNY). Nvidia recommends that the AGP versoin be set to 900 MHz DDR, and 1000MHz DDR for the PCI-E version. A good number of manufacturers are going with 1000MHz DDR though for both the AGP and PCI-E, so just make sure you thoroughly check the product specs before you buy....the XFX is 1000 MHz DDR.

Sizzle: thanks for that info. Do you know if you actually have to crimp some ends though? Checking that link, it's advertised as a cable and you just have to choose the correct 2-Pin female end. I'm going to order one or two regardless once I have my 6600GT and I can examine the fan header to see which type of 2-Pin female end I need.
The pins for those two pin plugs are smaller then the ones you would find in a regular 3 pin molex connector. Actually, those 2 pin connector's from buyextra come with pined wires, so you could splice the power cable from the aftermarket fan and solder the wires from the 2 pin connector on.

You could also send the 2 pin connector and the heatsink to www.performance-pcs.com and Hank'll hook you up for a small service cost.