How can I reduce the PWM clicking noise my X800pro???

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cjpark

How can I reduce the PWM clicking noise my X800pro???

Post by cjpark » Thu May 26, 2005 1:11 pm

I have an ATI X800pro with a fan that makes the annoying clicking noise that goes along with PWM fan controls. Is there anything I can do to reduce this clicking noise?

I've heard of people adding a capacitor in there somewhere but I'm not exactly sure how to go about it. Or is there an adapter for the little 3-pin used on the cooler to a normal 3-pin connector, so I can hook it up to a better fan controller? I'd rather not have to cut the wires on the cooler to do that since I have a feeling it would void my warranty. Maybe someone could tell me what each of the wires on the cooler are for as well, theres a red, black and white. I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that the black is a ground, what about the others?

I have a Qbic and so I'm pretty much stuck for something to replace it with since there isn't enough room for a silencer or zalman or any other cooler I can find for this card. I've managed to make everything else very quiet, but its all for nothing if I can't stop this clicking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Thu May 26, 2005 5:24 pm

If you're certain that it's a PWM noise, then you can use attenuator from mCubed to reduce those noise.

Or if you like DIY, then search the forum for attenuator someone here posted a DIY guide not too long ago.