Can't decide which one...for X800 XT AIW

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xxkrnxstylezxx

Can't decide which one...for X800 XT AIW

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:52 pm

I haven't seen many X800XT AIW threads so I decided to start one up. First of all, my temps right now are pretty high. It idles at 45-47'C and 75-77'C load.

I think I have 2 choices - Arctic Cooling NV Silencer or Zalman VF700cu.
I like that the AC exhausts the air out of the case, but I heard it is pretty loud even at 5V. I like the Zalman's quietness but I don't like more hot air inside my computer case.

Which one would be the better choice? I have 2 Globe 120mm fans on my Antec 3000 (1 exhaust 1 intake). Not sure which one to choose....

Thanks alot.

MonsterMac

Post by MonsterMac » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:40 pm

go with the NV silencer 5. any and all 'clicking' problems have been fixed in revision two, and other than that, at 5V it is not loud whatsoever.

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:43 pm

Thanks for the input. Any others?

shades_of_blue

Post by shades_of_blue » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:07 pm

you can not use an artic silencer with an x800 aiw card. the x800 xt (and xl i assume) aiw only has 2 mounting holes, the artic silencer requires 4 mounting holes.

next, from all i've read the vf700cu produces less noice in 5v mode then an AS cooler does at idle. also the vf700cu weighs less then that of an AS cooler, so don't be affraid of getting the copper version over it's slightly lighter sibling.

and yes, the vf700 works fine in 5v mode on an x800. personally i noticed no major difference in overclocking between the two modes. mine runs at 525/555 in farcry all the time.

btw those temps you got are crazy, you should consider a ducting pipe for your cpu or another sidepanel with TECII cooling. at max load, my cpu gets upto 55c and is idling at 40c right now. that's taking advantage of TECII cooling and a 7000cu at it's lowest setting.

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:36 pm

I've heard theres a version of AC that fits with the X800XT AIW? Not sure about it though.

Also, with a VF700, you have to permanently place the memory heatsinks. This is a concern if I ever need to RMA the card.

The temps I posted were for the card. I get 50'C max on my CPU. I've tried opening the side of the case, but the temp on the graphics card does not go down at all. I've got an SLK3000B so I already have side venting.

Main thing I like about Arctic Cooling is that it exhausts hot air. I think this would help the temps a bit.

Thanks

shades_of_blue

Post by shades_of_blue » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:44 am

the heatsinks are not permanent, they apply with double sided thermal tape. checkout zalmans website, they have an animated install guide.

and once again, i will state that AC does not have an AS4 or AS5 which fits properly. don't waste your time trying to email them either, they've got really crappy support.

since that'd your GPU temps i would not worry, ATIs cards are known for running hot, nothing new there or to be worried about.

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:56 pm

Guess I'll have to go with the Zalman if Ac doesn't fit...

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:07 pm

shades_of_blue wrote:the heatsinks are not permanent, they apply with double sided thermal tape. checkout zalmans website, they have an animated install guide.

and once again, i will state that AC does not have an AS4 or AS5 which fits properly. don't waste your time trying to email them either, they've got really crappy support.

since that'd your GPU temps i would not worry, ATIs cards are known for running hot, nothing new there or to be worried about.
1 more quesetion. I thought the double sided thermal tape were supposed to be permanent. So you're saying I could take the tape off after I put it on?

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:45 pm

Great! My VF700Cu arrived yesterday.

Greater! I burned out my card when I was installing it! (forgot to turn off PSU)

:cry:

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:31 pm

xxkrnxstylezxx wrote:Great! My VF700Cu arrived yesterday.

Greater! I burned out my card when I was installing it! (forgot to turn off PSU)

:cry:
Try and get an RMA. Put the stock heatsink back on, and tell them "the screen froze, and then I smelled something burning" or something to that effect. You probably won't get it, but you should try.

Or, leave the heatsink off, tell them it fell off and your screen froze, then you smelled burning, and you think the card is burned up. Be imaginative and try and figure out a way to get away with it.

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:46 am

Haha I will. It doesn't look physically damaged at all....Don't think they would notice.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:22 pm

xxkrnxstylezxx wrote:Haha I will. It doesn't look physically damaged at all....Don't think they would notice.
trust me just rma it for a new one. try to remember what thermal pad they used or grease and re-apply it like they did. They normally do a shoddy job of applying it as well, I noticed, so dont put too much to make it goo out any, they normally have it too lean.

it works for me!

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:35 pm

I once crushed the pins that held on the stock heatsink, and STILL got an RMA. So don't be too worried.

shades_of_blue

Post by shades_of_blue » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:32 pm

holy crap, if you can RMA it to the distributor instead of ATI itself. the distributor should take it back without any questions.

when i got my x800 xt aiw so did a friend of mine, only his had defective memory chips and the distributor would not replace his unless he could prove it was defective, so he lent it to another friend who has a 'static-electricity zapper' at his work and proceeded to nuke every chip on it. then he rma'd it, simply stating that it just stopped working, of which it did. :lol:

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:33 pm

~El~Jefe~ wrote:
xxkrnxstylezxx wrote:Haha I will. It doesn't look physically damaged at all....Don't think they would notice.
trust me just rma it for a new one. try to remember what thermal pad they used or grease and re-apply it like they did. They normally do a shoddy job of applying it as well, I noticed, so dont put too much to make it goo out any, they normally have it too lean.

it works for me!
I have no idea what they used or what it looked like.... :(

Shades, I bought this from Amazon. I burnt it right after I could return it (30 days).

Anywho, I emailed ATI saying that it just stopped working, and they sent me an RMA number. Hopefully, it'll work. 2 things worrying me though, thermal grease (I took theirs off and put on AS5) and the screws on the back of the fan (I kind of threaded it...damn they put it on tight).

shades_of_blue

Post by shades_of_blue » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:07 pm

clean up the artic silver with rubbing alcohol and an old cotton shirt, good as you can. If the factory heatsink compound is still on the original HS you should be good. If not head over to radioshack and buy some, then carefully reapply. ;)

BTW are you sure you did not damage your AGP port too, when this happened?

xxkrnxstylezxx

Post by xxkrnxstylezxx » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:28 am

I don't think the AGP port was damaged since I put a 9600 and it's still working fine. Damn, do they know if it's AS5 or not? I didn't clean it off but there was some of the original left on the heatsink. I should have read this before I shipped it off... :evil:

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:13 am

FYI, the Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 1 Rev 2 works on the X800XT AIW.

toNka

Post by toNka » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:58 pm

Does anyone know the dBa of the zalman at various voltages?
The only pros I think the AC has is:
1) Exhaust heat out back.
2) Can plug fan into VGA card.
If you are a true SPCRer build a shroud for the Zalman ;)
If the AC runs quiet enough, which I don't know if it does, it would be the better solution.
I'm surprised we haven't heard more from the members of this forum on this comparison. I think this is a hot topic.
I want to know which is better.

Mar.

Post by Mar. » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:01 am

toNka wrote:Does anyone know the dBa of the zalman at various voltages?
The only pros I think the AC has is:
1) Exhaust heat out back.
2) Can plug fan into VGA card.
If you are a true SPCRer build a shroud for the Zalman ;)
If the AC runs quiet enough, which I don't know if it does, it would be the better solution.
I'm surprised we haven't heard more from the members of this forum on this comparison. I think this is a hot topic.
I want to know which is better.
Dude, seriously, start a new damn thread!

fraggable

Post by fraggable » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:37 am

Sorry for resurrecting a half-dead thread, but it doesn't look like anyone here mentioned that the AC Silencer 1 rev. 2 fits the X800 XT AIW according to AC themselves.