6600gt AGP + A64 box cooler - only warm, not yet truly quiet

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DyJohnnY

6600gt AGP + A64 box cooler - only warm, not yet truly quiet

Post by DyJohnnY » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:18 pm

I was looking for cooling solutions [have been interested in everything from the schooner to the vm-101] when i decided to try to work with what i have..meaning a leftover A64 box HS+fan, since i'm using an Xp-90.
first of all a picture of the card itself.

A few words about stock cooling:
BAD. BAD. BAD.
i enabled temp reporting through bios mod, i had 60 degrees in idle and after 5 minutes of rthdribl i had 89 degrees, and i knew i had enough.
decided to take the whole ting apart and see what i could do t improve things. what i found:
1. peanut butter style TIM all over the GPU, and i mean THICK, just like u would use on bread.
2. thermal sticker of some sort for the bridge.
3. badly polished HS....and these are kind words.
conclusion: i did expect things not to look good, but not this bad :(

What i did:
1. Cleaned up all that butter, applied some regular Thermalright TIM, had nothing else around the house, applied like on processors, very thin layer.
2. rebooted the whole thing...temp was 75 degrees :o i was in shock, started rthdribll....temp went up to 105 degrees and i knew i had to stop it.
3. reexamined the board,
SHOCK #2: the HS was not making contact with the GPU...now i realized why they buttered the GPU, to make contact with the HS...through the TIM.

Today i took a good look at my A64 venice cooler and decided - it was going in to save the honour of my video card.
I have previous experience with making and active gf2mx passive, but u have to admit these are completely different things.

What i did:
first of all i established it's orientation exact position....of the fan. i tried to keep some room for a separate bridge HS but it was impossible, and i found a position where the entire a64 stock heatsink can cover the bridge at an acceptable level.
----space for a top view picture of the card-----

Then i tried to devise a clip system. on my gf2mx i used a piece of copper wire, 2-3mm thick,driven between the fins of the heatsink...well that's what i did here. I found the same piece of wire, cut up about 12cmm of it. bent two circles at the ends, the adjusted and adjusted it, until the circles were overlaping the holes on the card's PCB.
at first i tried to use screws and rubber washers to secure it, but my dad showed me the exact SMD parts that might be damaged, so i didn't use screws...but instead used the cards...push through....things, i don't know how to call them, they have a spring on it and they click on the other side, and stay there.
here is one of the clips in position

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_real_ ... m=639a.jpg

and here is the other one

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_real_ ... m=3ddb.jpg

the size of it all...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/the_real_ ... m=def7.jpg

so the heatsink is held in place by self made clip that uses the white things to secure it, and it is quite stiff might i add.
I've also used some rubber feet to stabilize the heatsink on the sides, the stock heatsink had them so i borrowed them also :D.

Rebooted the pc, all was fine, at 12volts, tons of air were blown through the fan. started rthdribl, and then i noticed the fan was temp controlled :D..started ramping up really bad at 69 degrees. then i decided to use temp controling feature, but with max 5v on the fan = hooked up the fan to the 5v line. it is still sort of noisy, but if u look at the temps they are pretty decent, and i could probably go lower with the max temp.
edit: - it seems i was wrong about the noisyness - NB fan, that was close to the board fooled me. so i put the NB fan at 5V, and the GPU cooling is still quieter=i can't hear it, i can still hear the NB at 5V.

Now for temp results:
Conditions: open case, MB placed horizontally.
Ambient temperature: in the 30's, summer.
idle temp - 56 degrees - fan rpm was between 1100 and 1300.
load temp - ran rthdribl for 20minutes, temp did not go above 65 degrees - the fan controlling circuit kicked in an upped the RPM's from 1300 to 1800, and kept it at 64-65.

edit:2 hereConclusion: for something that is as big as the VM-101, and VF-700, it keeps the GPU very cool....don't know how the vf-700 is noise wise, but the stock AMD fan @5V is below the bluestorm 400W in noise levels[the bluestorm has a stupid clicking noise], in an open case experiment like this one.. u can buy a 15mm silent fan, if u really want to and the entire solution can be ever quieter, at the expense of the 2 pci slots.
This is a cooling solution that won't cost you 30USD, unless u want spend the cash exclusively for the zalman looks, in which case this thread was not of much use to you :)

Note: these are open case tests. i'd expect temps to go up by 10 degrees, in the current layout, once my wood case is completed.

Bad ConNecTioN

Post by Bad ConNecTioN » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:50 am

Great write up! Its always nice to see people mod cpu hsfs onto graphics cards. I did the same thing awhile ago with my 9800 pro, although I used a copper socket A hs. Worked wonders and is quiet.

Good work!

Bad ConNecTioN

Post by Bad ConNecTioN » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:12 am

*mods please delete, double post*

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:51 am

Thanks for the write-up! I have one of those Venice coolers lying around too, but I didn't know of a good way to attach it to the video card without thermal adhesive.

How tight is the heatsink connected to the card? Does it wiggle? Does it rock back and forth on the die? It looks like both gravity and the clip springs are working against you...

DyJohnnY

Post by DyJohnnY » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:03 am

It does not budge, it is solid as a rock, i'm telling you, PLUS that is not the final position, in the final position gravity will work for me - i will have an inverted mobo setup :)
what u have to do to keep it not moving though, since it is very not entered on the GPU - put some rubber feet between PCB and the HS, in the corners [the corners that u can put rubber feet on, u can't on 2 of them]. don't think it's not contacting the GPU cuz it is, i adjusted the rubber feet with sandpaper [took off a little excess material] and now it doesn't move. eitherway, before it was not moving on it's own, u had to press down a little on it.
the key is: - design the copper clamp to put enough pressure on the HS, without breaking the GPU, and just to make sure, use a litttle more TIM than you would in mounting a CPU.

for the record - this board at 608/1200MHz survived an artifact free run of that program "real time HDB ...something", and it only heated up to 66degrees, temp controlled at 5v :) [open case , cuz i have none yet :) ]