New Asus 6600GT Passive Video Card!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

toaom

Post by toaom » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:13 am

Another review I'd love to see is a comparison between this card and the ASUS AEX 800 using the same silencer, I'm still not sure which one to buy :(

The Radeon has ViVo and 2xDVI, SLI not available on my current MOBO (at the time of writing).
The GeForce is a bit cheaper and is ready in SLI mode on my new MOBO (Asus a8n-sli premium), but it lacks the second DVi port and lacks TVin.

Any advice?

kruimeldief

Post by kruimeldief » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:15 am

I don't understand why to get 2 cards in SLI anyway, remembering the voodoo2 that also had this function but without much succes. (Btw, the L shape won't work as the HS rotates only 90°)
Anyway, the review I'm waiting for is IN a case with temperature readings for multiple parameters (casefans -->airflow , direction of the HS, ...)

mathias

Post by mathias » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:46 am

kruimeldief wrote:I don't understand why to get 2 cards in SLI anyway, remembering the voodoo2 that also had this function but without much succes.
What was wrong with SLI voodoo2s? It didn't require a special motherboard, it gave better performance than any single card when the top of the line cards cost a lot less and had a lot more limitations, and the cheaper 8 meg cards sometimes performed identically to the 12 meg ones, so you could cut the cost of SLI by using those, and/or by waiting for some of the cheaper brands of voodoo2s.

kruimeldief

Post by kruimeldief » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:17 am

What I try to say, if you don't buy a high end card now because they are way too expensive :!: in the future, when you upgrade with a second card in SLI, those videocards will be like 2 generations old or so.

Of course it depends on how often you upgrade and what you use your PC for
(I don't upgrade that often, so SLI is useless for me, and a 6600GT is more then enough for an occasionally game)

mathias

Post by mathias » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am

"now"? I asked what was wrong with SLI voodoo2s.

Look at it this way, back then video card prices maxed out at $300. Even with SLI as an option, that's better than no SLI and prices reaching $800.

MarvW

ATI

Post by MarvW » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:45 am

CGameProgrammer wrote:One good reason is ATI's drivers suck. I am never again using an ATI card because I just found it too painful, with their Windows drivers, Linux drivers, and their drivers for their TV capture card. They make good hardware, possibly the best hardware, but it's all for naught due to their horrible software.
I have to agree
The last (ATI 256mb radion 9550) I had slowed my boot time fom <min to >5 min took it out put my GF3 back in <min.

vincentfox

Post by vincentfox » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:39 pm

Hey man my last big splurge on high-end video was a pair of Creative Voodoo2 SLI cards. Dropped $500 on those. Boy that was a sweet setup for it's day.

Haven't spent to be out on the bleeding edge ever since though, riding the back edge of the mid-range. Looking seriously at 6600GT cards, hence following this thread. Going to have to read up on temps and power demands. I just wish Sapphire or someone offered a pre-built unit equipped with a big honking Zalman 80D.

sneaker

Post by sneaker » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:41 pm

vincentfox wrote:Hey man my last big splurge on high-end video was a pair of Creative Voodoo2 SLI cards. Dropped $500 on those. Boy that was a sweet setup for it's day.
And completely silent :-) Didn't even have heatsinks, if I recall correctly.

kruimeldief

Post by kruimeldief » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:45 pm

I still have my voodoo2 installed in a computer upstairs (not that I run any games on it :oops: ) The voodoo2 was indeed a high-end card for a great price. But it also was the first and last high-end card I bought, once I noticed that the evolution of game-PC's is so fast.

PS. My computer with 6600gt silencer is ordered :P

Slaugh

Post by Slaugh » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:28 pm

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:23 am

Slaugh wrote:New article from X-bit Labs:

ASUS Extreme N6600GT Silencer: Extremely Silent, Extremely Hot
Wow..27 pages of review without a single picture of how it looks like with card installed in the system....and I thought the key selling point of this card is the Silencer. :o

kruimeldief

Post by kruimeldief » Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:47 am

I will post pictures of my rig smewhere next week. The asus 6600gt silencer and A8N-E I have already, the other compenents I ordered are shipped today or tomorrow :P

Edit: I got my PC assembled now. I was going to do some tests with prime95 and 3dmark05, but it seems that it's not possible to monitor the temperature of this card with asus smartdoctor (I have the needed "enhanced drivers" installed b.t.w.). Can someone confirm this, or am I doing something wrong?

charger2000

Post by charger2000 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:00 am

kruimeldief wrote:I will post pictures of my rig smewhere next week. The asus 6600gt silencer and A8N-E I have already, the other compenents I ordered are shipped today or tomorrow :P

Edit: I got my PC assembled now. I was going to do some tests with prime95 and 3dmark05, but it seems that it's not possible to monitor the temperature of this card with asus smartdoctor (I have the needed "enhanced drivers" installed b.t.w.). Can someone confirm this, or am I doing something wrong?
could I ask you where did you buy the 6600GT silencer ??
I didn't see a single shop, online.., in the whole world that is selling this card ... :?

bredbored

In and working today

Post by bredbored » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:37 pm

OK, so it hasn't been asked to do anything interesting yet, but my new machine was plugged together today so it's first impressions time. For those still searching, I found my 6600GT silencer at www.overclock.co.uk - they use the wrong picture, but the item is correct. 150GBP or so for the 256MB version.
The card is obviously well engineered. Bundle includes the usual software suspects and a VGA>video convertor cable. No DVI cable. You will lose the expansion slot to the left-rear of the card as the heatsink protrudes quite well over there. The swivelling heatpipe-radiator can be moved at will, and there is (surprisingly) enough clearance to have this at 90degrees to the card and still fit a 120x25mm fan on top of my SI-120, though I'm currently running fanless on the Thermalright.
So far, very happy :)
Kingsley